Mainship Pilot windshield mod

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backinblue

Guru
Vessel Name
Blue Moon
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 355
The center section of my windshield is hinged and opens outward from the bottom with the type of bracket shown below. I've come up with a great idea that I am having fabricated. I'm having new brackets designed that will increase the length about 6" by adding 2 more notch sections. This will increase the opening quite a bit and increase air flow on hot days. I'm also having them made from stainless steel instead of chrome-plated alloy which will look better, not corode, and be stronger. The designer told me most of the cost will be in the setup. After that, multiple sets should not be very expensive. He joked "make 100 and sell them on ebay". Anyway, I don't know how many boats have this design as it has changed over the years. But if anyone wants a set and will share the setup cost, let me know. Should be a nice upgrade. I don't know the price yet but I will proceed regardless. Ugh! Correct pic orientation should rotate 90 degrees clockwise.

Attachments

• 20220529_063831[1].jpg
    20220529_063831[1].jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 40
Looks great, and keep me in mind.

I also have the center window, like yours.

The PO sealed it shut and I have not messed with freeing it. Seems like with both doors open I get a good breeze, but would really like that window opening.

Great idea!

Looks great, and keep me in mind.

I also have the center window, like yours.

The PO sealed it shut and I have not messed with freeing it. Seems like with both doors open I get a good breeze, but would really like that window opening.

Great idea!

Are you sure it's sealed? Mine was very hard to open the first time. I guess the PO rarely did. The weather stripping was stuck pretty hard to the paint. Anyway, it's nice to have open when moving but also while anchored as the breeze is always from the bow. I don't have side doors but do have side windows but they are aft of the helm so not much help for me.

As soon as I get pricing I'll post and will need a quick response from anyone who is interested as I will want to order immediately. Not looking to make any money, just share the cost and make it cheaper for everyone.

The center windshield on our 430 had probably never been opened it's entire life. It appeared to be totally stuck. With some gentile pushing and prying it finally opened. I expected the seals to be ruined, but they weren't. They cleaned up just fine and after lubing them up the window now operates the way it should. Those extensions look like a good idea to open the window farther.

The center windshield on our 430 had probably never been opened it's entire life. It appeared to be totally stuck. With some gentile pushing and prying it finally opened. I expected the seals to be ruined, but they weren't. They cleaned up just fine and after lubing them up the window now operates the way it should. Those extensions look like a good idea to open the window farther.

Same with my boat. Works fine now since I always open it (no fly bridge here). I can't tell if you boat uses the same type of bracket. It's a standard part from Perko, but my redesign will make them longer.

https://www.amazon.com/Perko-1291DP...t=&hvlocphy=9003386&hvtargid=pla-554265156849

@ Backinblue

Those brackets are mounted too far down the window. On my 350, they significantly closer to the hinge, allowing the window to open much further.

@ Backinblue

Those brackets are mounted too far down the window. On my 350, they significantly closer to the hinge, allowing the window to open much further.

Good point that would work too, but dont want to add and fill holes if I don't have to. Plus the stainless will look a lot better than the corroding chrome. To your point, my window only opens aboutn 12" at the bottom which is better than nothing but not great when it's hot.

If you can get the windshield to open so the panel is horizontal when fully opened, you'll appreciate it. On days where you want it open for airflow and the sun angle makes glare a problem, being able to open it fully means you're no longer looking through the glass, so no more glare.

The window on my 2003 Pilot II opens all the way.

regards Holty

I'd be interested

I've replaced those brackets once on our 07 Pilot 34 due to corrosion, but would be interested in this upgraded version if the price wasn't too high. I'll keep an eye out for the pricing when you post it and let you know right away.

Brett

I've replaced those brackets once on our 07 Pilot 34 due to corrosion, but would be interested in this upgraded version if the price wasn't too high. I'll keep an eye out for the pricing when you post it and let you know right away.

Brett

Sounds good. I should have an estimate soon. I friend is doing the model drawing for me now. The corrosion issue is also something I wanted to get rid of so the stainless whould take care of the. The original metal, which is a chrome-plated zinc alloy, is rather soft and can bend easily. That is not really an issue, but I did notice that when I took the old ones off.

Last edited:
@ Backinblue

Exactly. It looks like an installation error. Mine is stainless and mounted higher allowing me to open the windshield pane to level getting as much airflow as possible.

Attachments

• DSC03418.jpg
    DSC03418.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 37
Not sure, but you might even be able to flip the notched pieces around and just reposition the movable pane mounts UP leaving the side mounts in place. Just spitballing here.

I doubt they are stainless as they are a standard Perko part. I agree that a different mounting position would be better, but I doubt it was an error, just a design change. The window locks are also in a different position form year to year so I don't think it was just random. I don't want to drill and fill new holes. I'll proceed as I planned but thanks for everyone's feedback regardless.

Just rechecked. Mine are unpainted SS. Not sure who made tham - definitely not Perko.

Last edited:
I had one of the OEM brackets break on my '08 MS 34 HT.
I was not sure about attachment of the bracket on the movable pane but the stationary one was bolt & nut. With glass in place I didn't want to risk drilling.
I agree higher up would provide more opening but reaching them, at least on the 34T/HT could be a challenge requiring a step stool or climbing on the galley counter.
My original brackets were riveted and I had to drill them out and use bolt/lock nut w specer washer to replace just the bracket. From the puc it looks like yours might have been replaced before.

Replacing SS a great idea. If you post replacement part ordering info, price etc when completed I'll try to link it in one of the MS Parts posts/ threads.

I had one of the OEM brackets break on my '08 MS 34 HT.
I was not sure about attachment of the bracket on the movable pane but the stationary one was bolt & nut. With glass in place I didn't want to risk drilling.
I agree higher up would provide more opening but reaching them, at least on the 34T/HT could be a challenge requiring a step stool or climbing on the galley counter.
My original brackets were riveted and I had to drill them out and use bolt/lock nut w specer washer to replace just the bracket. From the puc it looks like yours might have been replaced before.

Replacing SS a great idea. If you post replacement part ordering info, price etc when completed I'll try to link it in one of the MS Parts posts/ threads.

Thanks Don, and I agree that reach could be a problem on some boats, and maybe that's why yours and mine are mounted lower. I wasn't sure if yours are the same style as mine. The Perko ones are riveted, mine are not, but not sure if they used to be and were drilled out. Regardless the new ones will not be riveted. I'm having these custom designed and fabricated, so there won't be a way for others to order them. If I know in advance who wants them, I can order multiple sets. Alternatively, I can probably provide the engineering drawings to someone who wants to order them at another time, but the initial setup cost will be the bulk of the price I believe.

That's good to hear. Maybe somebody replaced them like like I am doing. This looks basically what I have and mine are pretty coroded after 10 years and mostly fresh water use. Reading the reviews, seems like they are prone to corroision and eventual failure.

I just went out in the clear light of day to take these three photos of my all-stainless window raiser thingies. Its parts are STOUT, almost a bit steampunk and not old hole evidence anywhere - I think it is original. This boat came to me with what I think is every possible factory option. The PO admitted that it was way more boat than he knew how to handle and that their favorite activity was to launch it from the boat barn when they were in town so they could sit at the pier and watch the Friday night fireworks. He was the one of only two POs who had the RV air conditioner put into the hardtop (seen a bit in the avatar). While it is possible these all-stainless parts were added later, nothing I have seen beyond the AC unit while adding my own 60-plus modifications looks like anybody had taken the time and detailed thought to customize anythng else. I am 6' tall and have to slide the companionway hatch to fully open so I can stand on the top threshold to lean forward to get the leverage necessary to raise the window all the way to near horizontal. Not so much to lower it. Hope this is useful to you. You will enjoy it at full airflow.

Attachments

• DSC03820.JPG
    DSC03820.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC03821.JPG
    DSC03821.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 16
  • DSC03822.JPG
    DSC03822.JPG
    162.6 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Thank Rich. Those look similar but not identical to mine. Mine are not riveted and the knobs are a little different. Sounds like yours are probably original. Maybe at some point Mainship went to a different vendor (read "cheaper"). I'm hopeful that adding the extra length will give me quite a bit more airflow than I have today as I'd rather not try to change the mounting position. Also, the corrosion issue was bugging me a bit anyway.

Yeah, I think your idea is great - just wish there was a cheaper option for you.

On my 07 P34, they are the exact part backinblue references in post #5. I replaced mine due to corrosion bubbling up the chrome finish and one arm breaking at the notch.

Thanks Rich. It's all boat money so I'll pay what I need to. I started this thread because if a few members want to share the initial setup cost, the actual parts may not be that expensive. I don't have any numbers yet, but for example it might cost me $500 for a pair, but only $600 for 5 pairs. My ME friend just contacted me and advised me to make them thinner than the original because it will save weight and cost but still be stronger than the original aluminum. So I will make them 1/8" thick vs. original 3/16". Just out of curiosity Rich, how thick are yours?

Attached is what the new design looks like. As I think about it I like having the extra amount of adjustment. Maybe not if you are in FL, but in CT there are times I like to only open the window to the first position if it's cold or rough out. In the first position, the winshield is ony open a couple inches.

Attachments

• window bracket.pdf
    70.5 KB · Views: 53
Yup, that's what mine looks like. I have four notches.

That's pretty much what my windshield lift brackets look like as well, despite my boat being older and not a Mainship. It's pretty much the standard design, I think.

Great news. Just got the quote and much cheaper than expected.

4pcs $ 43.00 E.A.
8pcs $ 38.00 E.A.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I will order soon. At that price, I may order an extra set just to have a spare. You can have a set at my cost as long as you cover your own shipping. Note that the price is per piece not per set, but a great deal IMO. Drawing is attached. Please be sure you verify the dimensions will work for you. Payment required upfront and I am not responsible if it doesn't work out for you for any reason.

Attachments

• Bob-bracket.pdf
    16.9 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
Great news. Just got the quote and much cheaper than expected.

4pcs $ 43.00 E.A.
8pcs $ 38.00 E.A.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I will order soon. At that price, I may order an extra set just to have a spare. You can have a set at my cost as long as you cover your own shipping. Note that the price is per piece not per set, but a great deal IMO. Drawing is attached. Please be sure you verify the dimensions will work for you. Payment required upfront and I am not responsible if it doesn't work out for you for any reason.

Sounds more than reasonable and undoubtedly cheapeer than new, if anybody made one.

Thanks Rich. I will likely order tomorrow 6/7, so if anyone is interested please let me know. Sorry for the rush but I don't know how long of a lead time it will be and want to get this on order asap. PM me with how many pieces (not sets) you want and I will reply with an address where you can send a check. If you want, you can include a shipping label or we can figure that out once I receive the parts. Thanks everyone.

Just to be clear, you are re-using the mounting bracket and the locking bracket, correct? That is a good price, and I will DM you for details on getting a set.

Thanks,
Brett

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom