Old 06-06-2022, 08:59 AM   #21
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Yeah, I think your idea is great - just wish there was a cheaper option for you.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:00 AM   #22

City: Cape Coral
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 2007 Mainship Pilot Sedan 34
On my 07 P34, they are the exact part backinblue references in post #5. I replaced mine due to corrosion bubbling up the chrome finish and one arm breaking at the notch.
Tonic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 09:39 AM   #23
Guru

City: Stratford, CT
Vessel Name: Blue Moon
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 355
Thanks Rich. It's all boat money so I'll pay what I need to. I started this thread because if a few members want to share the initial setup cost, the actual parts may not be that expensive. I don't have any numbers yet, but for example it might cost me $500 for a pair, but only $600 for 5 pairs. My ME friend just contacted me and advised me to make them thinner than the original because it will save weight and cost but still be stronger than the original aluminum. So I will make them 1/8" thick vs. original 3/16". Just out of curiosity Rich, how thick are yours?
Old 06-06-2022, 10:17 AM   #24
Guru

Attached is what the new design looks like. As I think about it I like having the extra amount of adjustment. Maybe not if you are in FL, but in CT there are times I like to only open the window to the first position if it's cold or rough out. In the first position, the winshield is ony open a couple inches.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf window bracket.pdf (70.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-06-2022, 10:34 AM   #25
Guru

Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Yup, that's what mine looks like. I have four notches.
Old 06-06-2022, 10:37 AM   #26
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
That's pretty much what my windshield lift brackets look like as well, despite my boat being older and not a Mainship. It's pretty much the standard design, I think.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 02:01 PM   #27
Guru

Great news. Just got the quote and much cheaper than expected.

4pcs $ 43.00 E.A.
8pcs $ 38.00 E.A.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I will order soon. At that price, I may order an extra set just to have a spare. You can have a set at my cost as long as you cover your own shipping. Note that the price is per piece not per set, but a great deal IMO. Drawing is attached. Please be sure you verify the dimensions will work for you. Payment required upfront and I am not responsible if it doesn't work out for you for any reason.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Bob-bracket.pdf (16.9 KB, 16 views)
Old 06-06-2022, 04:00 PM   #28
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by backinblue View Post
Great news. Just got the quote and much cheaper than expected.

4pcs $ 43.00 E.A.
8pcs $ 38.00 E.A.

Let me know if anyone is interested and I will order soon. At that price, I may order an extra set just to have a spare. You can have a set at my cost as long as you cover your own shipping. Note that the price is per piece not per set, but a great deal IMO. Drawing is attached. Please be sure you verify the dimensions will work for you. Payment required upfront and I am not responsible if it doesn't work out for you for any reason.
Sounds more than reasonable and undoubtedly cheapeer than new, if anybody made one.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:12 PM   #29
Guru

Thanks Rich. I will likely order tomorrow 6/7, so if anyone is interested please let me know. Sorry for the rush but I don't know how long of a lead time it will be and want to get this on order asap. PM me with how many pieces (not sets) you want and I will reply with an address where you can send a check. If you want, you can include a shipping label or we can figure that out once I receive the parts. Thanks everyone.
Old 06-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #30

City: Cape Coral
Vessel Name: Tonic
Vessel Model: 2007 Mainship Pilot Sedan 34
Just to be clear, you are re-using the mounting bracket and the locking bracket, correct? That is a good price, and I will DM you for details on getting a set.

Thanks,
Brett
Tonic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 04:54 PM   #31
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonic1 View Post
Just to be clear, you are re-using the mounting bracket and the locking bracket, correct? That is a good price, and I will DM you for details on getting a set.

Thanks,
Brett
Correct and thanks for asking. I'm re-using the brackets currently attached to the window frame and the existing knob. The only part I am replacing is the notched sliding "arm". If someone has a riveted style, they would have to drill that out and add a nut and bolt, but that should be simple enough. All I had to do is remove the knob and the 1 bolt where the arm attaches to the window bracket.
Old 06-09-2022, 05:23 PM   #32

City: Dayton MD
I have replaced the Perko several times as the corrosion and pitting drives me crazy. And a visible place to boot.
Will buy a SS set and share set coat if that is what it takes
John Miller
Blue Run
MS 34 Pilot HT in SW Fla
Bluerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 07:09 PM   #33
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluerun View Post
I have replaced the Perko several times as the corrosion and pitting drives me crazy. And a visible place to boot.
Will buy a SS set and share set coat if that is what it takes
John Miller
Blue Run
MS 34 Pilot HT in SW Fla
I spent some time today Googling about for a set of SS windshield adjusters like the unbranded ones I have (photo in earlier post this thread) to no avail.
Old 06-09-2022, 08:57 PM   #34
Guru

Not sure there are any that are available off the shelf. Some how RGANO has a set on his boat but that remains a mystery. The ones I had designed and made are already complete and I'll pick them up 6/10. I know a good ME who did the design and modification I wanted to improve the function and durability I wanted. Increased length and now solid SS instead of chrome plated aluminum. No cost for his work and very little cost to have a couple sets made. Only 1 other member here responded in time with interest so I only had 2 sets made. So no other parts will be available from me. Sorry, but I tried. I do own the CAD dwgs and there are online model shops that can make them if someone wants to go that route.
Old 06-10-2022, 05:07 PM   #35
Guru

This is likely the end of this thread. A couple weeks ago at anchor, looking at my windshield, I came up with this idea and the resulting parts look great. Because I'm a nice guy, I could have more made at approx $100/pair which is cheaper than the Perko parts. Not trying to make any money, but there is time and travel invloved. Anyway, see the pic of the finished piece. I may also post one once installed, but I couldn't be happier to see the end result. Idea turned into reality is very satisfying.
Attached Thumbnails
20220610_173613[1].jpg  
Old 06-10-2022, 11:38 PM   #36
Veteran Member

City: Vancouver BC
Vessel Name: Instead Of
Vessel Model: Mainship 34
I would be interested in a set. The ones I have are terribly corroded. I’ve checked with the manufacturers and they have only one left of the wrong side for my requirements. I have a 2007 Mainship Trawler, but I suspect they are identical windows. Please let us know when you get pricing as i would be interested in a pair.

Some close photos of the knobs and structs along with the fastening to the window would be appreciated.
Sailinggod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2022, 06:58 AM   #37
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailinggod View Post
I would be interested in a set. The ones I have are terribly corroded. I’ve checked with the manufacturers and they have only one left of the wrong side for my requirements. I have a 2007 Mainship Trawler, but I suspect they are identical windows. Please let us know when you get pricing as i would be interested in a pair.

Some close photos of the knobs and structs along with the fastening to the window would be appreciated.
I am only replacing the arms, therefore left and right sides are identical.
Old 06-11-2022, 04:09 PM   #38
Guru

In case anyone is still following this, here's some final pics after the install. The window opening is about twice what it used to be, and no more corrosion or breaking to worry about.
Attached Thumbnails
20220610_173613.jpg   20220611_120803.jpg   20220611_120817.jpg   20220611_121134.jpg  
Old 06-14-2022, 06:59 PM   #39
Guru

So after all is said and done, there are now a few members who may still want a set of these but didn't respond in time so I have no more. I will have to place another order to be made and will need to be paid in advance. I don't want to make any profit, but also don't want to spend my money. If anyone is serious about wanting them at approx $100/pr. let me know and I will place another order if there is sufficient interest. Shipping will be an additional ~ $15 UPS ground.
Old 11-12-2022, 10:11 AM   #40

City: Athens
Hi to all!

On Mainship 34T, I'm replacing the Perko windshield adjuster with a SS (following your excellent idea, thank you) and had serious difficulty with removing the old one from the moving part of the window (although the screwes were easily removed from the non-moving part of the window).

It seems like the screws on the moving part have bolts on the inside of the window panel, but there is no access to them. I tried from the side of the window, under the black rubber window gasket, but with no result.

Although eventually I managed to remove the screwes with high difficulty, I'm not sure that I will be successful to screw the new SS part back into place, as there is no access to the inside of the window panel to get to the bolts on which the screws will be screwed on.

Hope I managed to adequately describe the issue...!

Has anyone come across the same problem when replacing the Perko windshield adjuster and would know how to go about it?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice.

Regards,

Paris
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1023.jpg   IMG_1026.jpg  
Paris is offline   Reply With Quote