Mainship Pilot 34 Upgrades - swim platform trim molding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JFisher

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Freedom
Vessel Make
2001 Mainship Pilot 34
Just completed this upgrade last week. The swim platform had no factory installed rub rail or any protective trim on the lower edge, leaving the gelcoat and fiberglass exposed to chips/damage. There was already damage from use by the PO. My wife and I like to paddleboard, and we have installed a rack to carry two boards on the port rails. I found this white vinyl trim that was a close fit to the width of the bottom edge of the swim platform. With patience and the careful use of a heat gun I was able to mold it to the platform. After it cooled and set into shape, it was removed and reattached with 3M 4200 and some stainless screws at each end. Hopefully this will provide a bit of protection when embarking and disembarking from the paddle boards at the stern. If nothing else, it looks a lot nicer than the unfinished edge.

sprm1.jpg

sprm2.jpg

That looks really nice Jim. If I could ask, what is the width of the platform edge and where did you find the vinyl trim? My Mainship gets the same chips on it. Thanks.

The width of the edge of the platform is 5/16”. I was able to find trim molding with a 1/4” channel online at Great Lakes Skipper. It required heating, use of a couple of clamps and patience to get a good fit, working about 3” at a time. Also required modification where the swim ladder stows under the deck.

Love the molding. My add this to my project list. Another place for the molding would be in the engine room just on the edge on the back end of the hatch area. No need to me ask how my bald head knows. :eek: :banghead: :facepalm:not again

Last edited:
That looks great. I installed a piece of rub rail on the platform on my 400 (very similar platform to the pilot 34) and it helped a lot, but the chips in the edge below the rub rail are still visible to some degree.

Anyway you could provide a link to the trim?

Thanks.

Thanks for the link, Jim.

Back
Top Bottom