Mainship holding tank vent?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alan Mainship

Veteran Member
Have a 2004 mainship 400 and wondering if anyone know if I can drill out the original vent of holding line from the outside. I can see two small holes at bottom half of vent with screen, but can’t seem to get them removed. Can I just drill, possibly a 3/4 “ hole in center to open it up?

I plan to run another vent under anchor locker but would like to leave original for added ventilation.

Thanks in advance for any help.

You could, I guess, but it might be hard to drill through.

I put a pie plate in the gunnel so I could access the back of the vent, then replaced the vent with a mushroom through hull. Didn't help much, if at all. So I put a new, much larger vent under the anchor locker. That did the trick.

I just disconnected the old vent at the tank and left the hose in place. Getting that old vent hose out would be a real bear.

Last edited:
You could, I guess, but it might be hard to drill through.

I put a pie plate in the gunnel so I could access the back of the vent, then replaced the vent with a mushroom through hull. Didn't help much, if at all. So I put a new, much larger vent under the anchor locker. That did the trick.

I just disconnected the old vent at the tank and left the hose in place. Getting that old vent hose out would be a real bear.

exactly what I ended up doing last season.
I gave up trying to access the OE vent and have also installed a DIY tank aerator that was fairly easy and very effective even with the old vent.

Back
Top Bottom