Mainship 430 Washdown Power

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
I'm trying to trouble shoot no power to the washdown pump. It hasn't worked since I've had this boat, but would like to fix it. There's a switch in the chain locker that works. Turned on everything hoping to power it up but nothing.

Anyone know how to trouble shoot this one?

Can't help you with this one. My boat didn't come with a washdown pump. It used the fresh water pump for anchor wash. I had to add my own raw water washdown pump.

I would start at the switch and make sure there is power. If there is then check the power at the pump and verify that the pump is getting power. If it is then probably a problem with the pump. Make sure any breaker is on or the fuse is good first.

I would start at the switch and make sure there is power. If there is then check the power at the pump and verify that the pump is getting power. If it is then probably a problem with the pump. Make sure any breaker is on or the fuse is good first.

Thx, but can't find any breaker or switch, other than a switch in the anchor locker, which works. However, no power.

I guess I'll have to trace the wires back somehow.

Check power at the switch first. If you have power there then just trace the wires to the pump and check the power at the pump. On the switch it will most likely only be positive voltage. I take a long wire and attach it to the negative ground and temporarily run it up to where I am working to provide a ground reference.

Check power at the switch first. If you have power there then just trace the wires to the pump and check the power at the pump. On the switch it will most likely only be positive voltage. I take a long wire and attach it to the negative ground and temporarily run it up to where I am working to provide a ground reference.

Yep, but the switch has no power, so need to trace the wires somehow.

There should be a breaker or fuse somewhere supplying that switch, probably in or near the main DC panel. Just need to find it. If it's not a factory install the wire could be piggy backed into another circuit, so look for a factory breaker with two wires on it. That's not code but who knows what the PO did. Hopefully the same type wire you have at the other end making identification a little easier. Could be the breaker in question isn't even turned on.

Last edited:
i installed my own and used the hot side of the anchor windlass as the source with the switch in the anchor locker. so if it's not a mainship install i'd bet the hot wire goes to something nearby.

Is there a switch at the helm with an inline fuse? That would seem odd for a washdown. I would have expected a breaker at the DC panel. I'd be annoyed with an inline fuse directly connected to the battery running up to the switch. I don't like not being able to isolate circuits.

One of the best pieces of advice I've ever gotten on this forum was to buy a wire tracer/toner. I got this one below but there are lots of others similar. You connect the locator to one wire, turn it on, and you can follow the squeal or tone through your boat until you find the break. I was very skeptical they actually worked until I used one. I can be 18" away and the wire can be inside a bulkhead and if you move the probe back and forth you can still get a good idea where it is, and where it breaks or stops. I wish I bought a better, higher-quality one, I use it all the time, boat, irrigation system at home, etc. Worth the few bucks.

https://www.amazon.com/Underground-...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=A3C2LQG6C2MLIP&th=1

If I understand the OP correctly, he has put a volt meter to the pump and found no voltage.
He then went to the switch and found no voltage on either side of the switch. He has also checked his panel and there is no circuit breaker label wash down pump. All circuit breakers were in the on position when he did this eliminating the possibility of a mislabeled circuit breaker. If this is all true then we are left with a break in the wire either from blown fuse, cut wire or disconnected wire.

Time to start following the wire or chase a new one. Sometimes it is just easier to run a new wire correctly than trying to repair some one else’s poor workmanship.

SeeVee. Also an MS430 owner. Could,you point me to the water source that the raw water pump is pulling from? Is it fresh or do I have a thru hull seacock hiding somewhere? My fresh water manifold has a raw water pump shut off valve leading me to think it’s more of an anchor wash than raw water wash. Thanks!

Derek, my 430 was the same as yours, a pipe from the fresh water manifold to a quick disconnect on the bow. I didn't want to waste fresh water to clean my anchor. I installed a washdown pump next to the air conditioning pump and extended the pipe from the bow to it. I added a valve to the output side of the sea strainer so I could choose either air conditioning or anchor wash. I figured I wouldn't be using both at the same time. I also added a breaker to the lower helm to turn it on and off.

Derek, my 430 was the same as yours, a pipe from the fresh water manifold to a quick disconnect on the bow. I didn't want to waste fresh water to clean my anchor. I installed a washdown pump next to the air conditioning pump and extended the pipe from the bow to it. I added a valve to the output side of the sea strainer so I could choose either air conditioning or anchor wash. I figured I wouldn't be using both at the same time. I also added a breaker to the lower helm to turn it on and off.

Great idea! What’s odd is that I already have a breaker that looks factory tagged as raw water. I finally got far enuf completed on the must-fix list that I will see what that switch does tomorrow.

Portman, been working south so hadn’t been on line for a bit. Quick question… do you have a raw water pump breaker on your DC Panel. I do and I’m scratching my head as to what it is for if washdown is pulling from fresh only. The quick connect nozzle doesn’t work and it’s sealed in really tight with something I hope isn’t 5200. Anyway, will have to put this on the later priority list as we work through the major items.

Derek, I did not have a DC breaker for the raw water pump anywhere. I added one to the lower helm breaker panel, since it was fairly easy to run the wires down to the pump. It's a Carling brand breaker and I can't remember where I got it from.

Have t had a chance to work on this yet, but this is what I have. IMG_0294.jpg

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom