Mainship 43 Aft-cabin Port/starbord doors - Redux

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dbullendsl

I'd posted a previous thread regarding removal and replacement of the rollers at the bottom of the port/starboard cabin doors on a MS430 aft-cabin. After a number of suggestions I decided to tackle the problem and found it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought to actually replace the old corroded roller assemblies with new.

Actual time required to do the job was about an hour per door.

I was able to lift the doors off the tracks and set them on a couple of small blocks of 2x4. Once the doors were off the track and on the blocks I removed the screw holding the old roller in place, this was the most difficult part because of corrosion. I used a hammer driven impact screw driver to loosen the screws, then a normal philips screwdriver to take it out the rest of the way. Once the screw was out I drove the old roller out using a hammer and screwdriver thru the adjusting hole - the old thing just dropped right out.

Once the old roller was out, I replaced the rollers with an adjustable roller assembly from Prime-Line (number D 1554) which I ordered through HomeDepot. These rollers are slightly different than the originals with a 1 1/4" roller and small tension tabs on the sides. I broke the tabs of with a vise grip, raised the roller all the way up and worked the assembly up into the bottom of the door. (needed a little persuasion) and secured it with a new 3/4" 10-32 stainless steel screw.

Lift the door back in place, and adjust the height of the rollers.

Now I have two doors that slide easily.

Back
Top Bottom