Old 05-17-2021, 08:45 PM   #1

City: Whitby
Mainship 400 replace cockpit step

My great re-inforcing job of the worn cockpit entry step gave way and I have a new Garelick "footrest" to install. It is the identical unit so the holes will line up.
QUESTION? Does anyone know if the unit is attached with screws into the cockpit wall? As opposed to bolts into a nut or re-inforcing plate that is located behind the wall? My initial effort has the screw/bolt heads spinning so I am contemplating my options.
QUESTION? Assuming I have to cut the screw/bolt heads off what would be the best option for installing new fasteners?

https://www.fredwarner.net/product/g...e-boat-eez-in/
PaulB. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2021, 08:57 PM   #2
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
If it is spinning I'm guessing the step is not attached to a backing plate with screws. Sounds like it may be through bolted, which would be stronger but problematic to remove. Did the fasteners back out at all when you unscrewed them? Maybe enough to get a dremel blade behind them?

There must be some sort of plate or reinforcement behind the cockpit liner where the step attaches, it holds too much weight for a thin layer of unreinforced glass.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote