Mainship 400 Interior helm light ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamoore

Veteran Member
2004 Mainship 400. My interior cabin light above the lower helm does not work. I don't use it but I know it worked when I bought the boat 4 years ago. This light has 2 switches. One on each end of the fixture. It has two FL tubes in it. One is regular white while the other has a red filter on it for night vision. I also have a rocker switch on the lower right side of the helm that I think controls the light, or at least part of it. I took the light down and have a blue and a yellow wire coming into the fixture from above. When I tried to test it for power I got funny readings on my meter. Nothing like 12v. I was going to take the fixture apart to see if there is a ballast that can be replaced. I would need to drill out a couple pop rivets to take it apart. Before I did that i wanted to check here for wisdom and guidance. I suspect there is not replacement fixture available that would fit the opening or match the other lights. I should have taken pictures and certainly can do so if that helps.

Do you have any pics? I can't find a pic of a Mainship 400 with such a light at the helm. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, I just can't find one in a picture of any available for sale online.

Is there a chance it was an after market install by a previous owner??

You might scan through the MS parts photos (links & instructions in the parts Sticky @ top of the Marliw-Mainship section.
They are not searchable but lots of good info on make, model, Source if you can find one that looks like yours.

Wait guys, I got this one!!!! That light stumped me for a long time. Turns out, it’s on the circuit called “Courtesy Lights”, not the circuit for the other lights in the salon. So, (1) turn on that breaker on the DC panel; (2) turn on the switch for courtesy lights by the refrigerator; (3) turn on the switch my the lower helm door; and (4) make sure the rocker switch on the light fixture itself is on - this is the rocker nearest you. This fixture has rockers at each end of the fixture.

Now to change it from white to red....change the color by flipping the toggle switch on the far side of the fixture...the one nearest the windshield.

What a bizarre set up...this is as bad as the launch sequence to start the engine.

Wait guys, I got this one!!!! That light stumped me for a long time. Turns out, it’s on the circuit called “Courtesy Lights”, not the circuit for the other lights in the salon. So, (1) turn on that breaker on the DC panel; (2) turn on the switch for courtesy lights by the refrigerator; (3) turn on the switch my the lower helm door; and (4) make sure the rocker switch on the light fixture itself is on - this is the rocker nearest you. This fixture has rockers at each end of the fixture.

Now to change it from white to red....change the color by flipping the toggle switch on the far side of the fixture...the one nearest the windshield.

What a bizarre set up...this is as bad as the launch sequence to start the engine.

That sounds par for the course with Mainship wiring, lol.

I don't think mine is on that circuit though, it comes on with the main cabin lights breaker not the courtesy lights.

:thumb: I will give it a try today when I go to the boat and let you know. I suspect you are right on though. I do remember it working but could never figure out how to turn it on. I will report back

Nice sleuthing Batman!

I have the same setup, the courtesy lights have to be on, then the helm switch for the light to energize. I don't know why they tied it to the courtesy lights and each time I open the boat for the season I need to re-learn the whole sequence again.

2004 Mainship 400. My interior cabin light above the lower helm does not work. I don't use it but I know it worked when I bought the boat 4 years ago. This light has 2 switches. One on each end of the fixture. It has two FL tubes in it. One is regular white while the other has a red filter on it for night vision. I also have a rocker switch on the lower right side of the helm that I think controls the light, or at least part of it. I took the light down and have a blue and a yellow wire coming into the fixture from above. When I tried to test it for power I got funny readings on my meter. Nothing like 12v. I was going to take the fixture apart to see if there is a ballast that can be replaced. I would need to drill out a couple pop rivets to take it apart. Before I did that i wanted to check here for wisdom and guidance. I suspect there is not replacement fixture available that would fit the opening or match the other lights. I should have taken pictures and certainly can do so if that helps.

On my 2003 there is also a switch on the panel to the right of the steering wheel. That light is controlled by the salon breaker.

Many thanks to Mermaid and Garmstro55. That is exactly what the problem was. Dumb owner. I did try some of the other switches/circuits first but never thought about the courtesy lights. I have never operated my boat from the lower helm in the 4 years I have owned it. View is much better from above. I am glad I asked here before I gutted the fixture. It is all back installed in the boat now and working as it should. Trawler Forum to the rescue. Since I am selling my boat I believe I will label this fixture appropriately so the new owner doesn't chase his tail trying to turn this light on.

Here is a picture of the light for those not familiar with this set up.

Attachments

• 20210430_120240[10215].jpg
    20210430_120240[10215].jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 5

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom