Old 12-08-2021, 12:07 PM   #41
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Here, finally, are the promised pics of my generator without the enclosure. Let me know if anyone has any specific questions.

Hope this helps.

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
975E7500-6875-4B99-A158-3997DF32ECB9.jpg   069EB5BF-1AA1-45F1-9B23-7E2F0520A8DF.jpg   783D1E4B-BB58-429C-BE99-53264209BB8A.jpg   F462AEA6-C724-4F80-9E64-7F51EA1767C4.jpg   8EF6B786-1360-472E-BF7C-4CA160549B98.jpg  

8CC2AEC0-4E47-45E5-A68D-7235AAF5816E.jpg  
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 12:12 PM   #42

City: Williamsburg, VA
Thanks Doug.
It gives the rest of us something to shoot for. After the 1st of the year, Iíll take a crack at removing the rest of the outer quiet box during one of our winter warm spells.
Bay Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2021, 05:49 PM   #43

City: Sassafras River, Maryland
Vessel Name: Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Model: Mainship 400
Yep, looks just like mine now. Need to change the coolant later towards the spring and I will try to use this new invention I created.

I made this contraption because I struggled with winterizing the air conditioning. I like to run the pink anti-freeze through it and I always made a mess spilling it everywhere in the bilge as I tried to pour it into the top of the strainer. It always took several tries because if I didn't pour fast enough the dang thing would lose prime and I had to stop an re-prime every time.

After another frustrating attempt this year I decided not to mess around anymore and used an old bucket and a few plumbing parts. I bought the strainer cap in the correct size but the Marine Hardware strainer that Mainship used must have a different kind of thread so I had to file it down a bit so I could get most of it into the opening and catch the last few threads on it.

I worked like a champ on the first attempt, and now I can do the job solo as I don't need an assistant to turn on the AC pump as I am pouring.

I think it will be just the ticket to re-fill the generator coolant as well.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_7129.jpg   IMG_7021.jpg  
Attached Images

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
garmstro55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:22 AM   #44

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: Cartouche
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Quick tip on winterizing the AC/Heat pump Units - When the boat is on the hard close the AC through Hull take the bottom bolt out of the strainer open the strainer and let the water drain back and out the bottom of the strainer re insert the strainer drain bolt go to the Hull Drain for the forward AC Unit (In the Bow up High) and with a Jug pump pump pink in the outlet after about half gallon you will see the pink in the strainer and traces of pink in the aft AC hull Drain. In the spring with the through hull closed top up the system by pouring water or antifreeze down the hull Bow drain and when the strainer is full make sure Cover is tight and through hull is closed when in the water open through hull and fire up the Heat pump, the system is fully charged and will work without having to bleed the system.
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 03:22 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
Quick tip on winterizing the AC/Heat pump Units - When the boat is on the hard close the AC through Hull take the bottom bolt out of the strainer open the strainer and let the water drain back and out the bottom of the strainer re insert the strainer drain bolt go to the Hull Drain for the forward AC Unit (In the Bow up High) and with a Jug pump pump pink in the outlet after about half gallon you will see the pink in the strainer and traces of pink in the aft AC hull Drain. In the spring with the through hull closed top up the system by pouring water or antifreeze down the hull Bow drain and when the strainer is full make sure Cover is tight and through hull is closed when in the water open through hull and fire up the Heat pump, the system is fully charged and will work without having to bleed the system.
Never thought of that idea, interesting. I'm wintering in the water this year so this won't work for me but might be worth a try for those on the hard.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. E.B. White
Old 12-09-2021, 03:27 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmstro55 View Post
Never thought of that idea, interesting. I'm wintering in the water this year so this won't work for me but might be worth a try for those on the hard.
It works Great but to be totally honest the system is gravity and when you take out the strainer plug it self drains I put the pink in just in case, and it also works a charm for setting up in the spring so you don't have to prime the system. If you are in a dingy you could reach the Bow AC Drain
Old 12-11-2021, 11:25 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Here, finally, are the promised pics of my generator without the enclosure. Let me know if anyone has any specific questions.

Hope this helps.

Doug
Hey Doug, is there any way you can identify the coolant drain plugs in the photo of the generator?

Old 12-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmstro55 View Post
Hey Doug, is there any way you can identify the coolant drain plugs in the photo of the generator?
I donít know how to do the arrows on the pic deal. If someone can advise me I will do it.

There are at least two. Mine had little stickers on them that say ďdrain.Ē One of them is on the heat exchanger. It is the lowest but is also so low that you canít get any sort of cup or bottle under it to catch the outflow. It may be possible to attach some sort of rubber tubing to it. I end up making a mess at every coolant change. I suck it up with a shop vac and oil diapers.

There is another higher drain on the block, also labeled, that is easier to reach, but it doesnít get all the coolant out.I will be back down around the 20th and will find it for you then if that is not too late.
Old 12-12-2021, 04:47 PM   #49

Quote:
I donít know how to do the arrows on the pic deal. If someone can advise me I will do it.

There are at least two. Mine had little stickers on them that say ďdrain.Ē One of them is on the heat exchanger. It is the lowest but is also so low that you canít get any sort of cup or bottle under it to catch the outflow. It may be possible to attach some sort of rubber tubing to it. I end up making a mess at every coolant change. I suck it up with a shop vac and oil diapers.

There is another higher drain on the block, also labeled, that is easier to reach, but it doesnít get all the coolant out.I will be back down around the 20th and will find it for you then if that is not too late.
Doug, I will look for the label on the block for the drain. I do see the drain on the exchanger. I'll be heading there next Wednesday or so, and I won't actually be changing the coolant until later in the spring, so there is no rush and I might not even need your help if mine has the same labels.

But in case you need to, here is an easy way to highlight or add freehand lines to a photo. Use the "Snipping" tool in Windows. First, have the photo to highlight on the screen, then search for "Snipping" in the lower left search bar and open the app. Looks like photo #1.

Next, select "New" (Photo #2). You can now use the mouse to create a rectangle that will be "Snipped" onto the windows clipboard. At this point you can use the pencil tool at the top, or the highlighter, on the photo. (Photos 3 and 4) Then go to "File" and "Save As" to capture the highlighted photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Capture1.JPG   Capture.JPG   Capture2.JPG   Capture3.JPG  

Old 12-13-2021, 08:43 AM   #50

Quote:

The bottom drain should be Seawater not coolant
Old 12-13-2021, 09:52 AM   #51
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
The bottom drain should be Seawater not coolant

The drain on the heat exchanger on my generator is coolant. You could probably drain the entire system from there, but I try to take as much out as I can from the upper drain because it makes less of a mess.

To drain the seawater out of the HE I just crack the end cap.
Old 12-19-2021, 07:59 AM   #52
Guru

I am down on the boat this weekend and took a look at my gen-set to refresh my memory. There are two coolant drains, one on the bottom of the HE and the other on the block behind the coolant overflow tank. If you lift the overflow tanks off of its bracket, you will see the drain there, it's a petcock style. You can slip a piece of rubber tubing onto the block drain to make it less messy.

Thanks for the pic editing info Gary. Let me know if you need it and I will dig up the pics and draw some arrows!