Old 05-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #1

City: St Pete's
Mainship 40 general and 1 or 2 engines

Just joined the forum as my wife and I head toward retirement and a cruising lifestyle. Hoping you folks can provide sage advise. We looking at a 40-45' power boat that will be based in St. Pete's, FL

Our cruising style is 7-8 kts but I like knowing I have more speed available if necessary to avoid weather, etc. We'll probably spend about a week at a time on the boat, maybe a few weeks in the Bahamas or who knows, we might do The Loop some year. Usually it's just the two of us but will probably have guests for day trips or looking forward to welcoming new marina friends on board for a cocktail; ie entertaining space. We've bounced around a lot of styles but we keep coming back to trawlers and I'm seeing everything we need plus decent value in the Mainship 40 (opinions welcomed please).

What I'm really struggling with is single or twin engines. I see the advantages of each:
Single - better fuel economy (I assume), lower maintenance costs, more room to service the engine, etc
Twin - reliability of two engines, faster at WOT, better maneuverability (although bow thruster is standard on the singe, it seems lots of the twins have them as well)

My problem is I don't know which of these are significant advantages.
Sorry for the lengthy post but any insights or general comments on the Mainship 40 much appreciated
charlesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Enigma

City: Slicker?
Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Oh my. The age old question single or twins. Mr. c. Do a search of the archives. There are numerous threads (I think) although the way threads creep around here, answers may be buried. Whatever you do, DON'T ask about anchors (yet)....
"...I don't know which of these are significant advantages". EVERY boat is a compromise on some level(s). You're on a good site to get a broad range of opinions. The final choices will be up to you so keep those questions coming.
Old 05-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #3
Guru

City: South FL
Vessel Name: Oliver
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 47 Hull# 12
I'd say single and thruster you'd be just fine. You can always add a stern thruster too.
Nordhavn 47 Hull #12
N4712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 10:03 PM   #4
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Have a good look at Eastbays and Down East styles. A 42 NT or similar sized American Tug are others to consider. These all give you marvelously built vessels with a turn of speed when you desire it.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
FF
Guru

A single engine with out thruster will do about 95% of the manuvers required to get into tiny slips in advese conditions.

With a thruster a single engine can do 98% of the manuvering a twin can do.

This assumes very skilled and practiced operators for both boats!

A good skipper will know when to say NO, and demand a different slip , or simply anchor out.

Really depends on your cruising lifestyle , M>M marina to marina or anchor out most of the time.

1 or 2 engines is not a rational discussion , it is a RELIGOUS discussion , like anchoring or gas vs diesel.

Tons in the archives,,,,

AMEN
FF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 05:42 AM   #6
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF View Post

A single engine with out thruster will do about 95% of the manuvers required to get into tiny slips in advese conditions.

With a thruster a single engine can do 98% of the manuvering a twin can do.

Adding slightly to that...

A single engine without thruster but with one good crew aboard and a spring line can do about 97%...

And a single engine with thruster and one good crew member and a spring line can do about 99%...

-Chris
Old 05-15-2014, 08:53 AM   #7

City: Winnipeg
Vessel Model: 36 Mainship
looking at the right things?

Welcome
+1 on the "not a rational discussion"
any extra focus on this arguable technical issue detracts from the important tasks of

1) pleasing the admiral
2) achieving value for money
3) making sure the prospect is not fooling you
4) figuring out how to pay for it and where to put it
5) having the courage to pull the trigger and
6) finding the time to use it
bobsyiruncle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:58 AM   #8

City: Bowen Island
Vessel Name: Stealth
Vessel Model: 40' Mainship sedan bridge
We have a Mainship Sedan bridge and we love it!! Having two engines is nice as last season we had to "limp" back home with one engine...
51zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 08:59 AM   #9

City: St Pete's
Thanks for the insights so far. Yup, pleasing the Admiral is a must and she really likes the Mainship 40 galley. Looking forward to more thoughts.
charlesr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 09:05 AM   #10

Yes, the galley is great and we love the walkway from the bridge to the bow.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:13 PM   #11
Guru

City: Tuckerton, NJ
Vessel Name: WIRELESS ONE
Vessel Model: 36 Gulstar MarkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by 51zulu View Post
Yes, the galley is great and we love the walkway from the bridge to the bow.
I have a Mainship 40SB with a finshed hardtop. It has the largest VETUS bow thruster that runs on 12VDC. The boats never let us the down the salon and galley are full width of the boat very nice. My wife's not sure if she can get used to the narrower 36 Gulfstar, I know I'll get real used to the fuel burn in the Gulfstar.
Bill
Billylll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:08 PM   #12
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
We have a 2005 Mainship 40 T, with twin Yanmar 240hp. We looked long and hard at many, many boats when we moved up from our Gulfstar 36. It fit our needs/budget best, though I would likely have bought a 42 sabre if I could have afforded one.

We love it so far. Personally, I was not at all interested in the single as it was just too slow/inefficient at anything above hull speed. We mostly run at hull speed, but it is really nice to have more speed when you need it. Not so much to outrun weather (I cant even do that in my flats skiff and it runs 50 knots) but to use on a long delivery type trip.

Our boat is pretty happy at 2900 rpm, which is right around 15 knots. It's nice to cross the gulfstream in 3.5 hours instead of 7.

Also, we have come in on one motor two or three times over the years (our old boat was twins as well). Once in the middle of nowhere in the Bahamas we would have been screwed with a single.
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 01:29 PM   #13

Bill, do you have a picture of the hardtop?? I would be very interested to see as I am leaning towards installing one on mine.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:23 PM   #14
Guru

http://www.trawlerforum.com/attachme...96a31e81ab.jpg

Old 05-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #15
Guru

Old 05-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #16
Guru

There you go I hope that's what you are looking for. The hardtop is finished on both sides and insulated with Divinicell.
Bill
Old 05-17-2014, 04:27 PM   #17
Guru

Here is the original soft top and old arch

Old 05-17-2014, 05:28 PM   #18

Very Nice!!! A definite improvment. I leaning a little more that way now! Thanx very much for the pictures.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #19
Guru

There is 1 huge problem if you do a custom hardtop like mine. When you go to sell the boat it can not be trucked. It has to go to it's new owners via it's own power and bottom. I can not remove the hardtop without cutting the X bracing and removing all the electronics in the channels and arch. This would ruin the vessel.
Bill
Old 05-07-2016, 09:34 PM   #20

City: British Columbia
Dougcole, are you still around,
I read your old thread and wanted to get an idea for the fuel consumption as we are looking at a 40 twin, Yan, 260 and the broker cannot provide the info.
I am hoping for a reasonable cruise speed, not 8 knots, maybe 12 and wonder if you had a fuel curve
Thanks
Bigfoot4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mainship 40