Mainship 350/390 anchor chain and rode

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Original Bruce has always worked for me. That will be my choice. This boat has more windage if I am no longer satisfied I’ll adjust then.
It seems that 5/16 ht chain is what most use for this boat. Glad I can reuse what I have. The 1/2 inch line needs to be replaced. It’s seen better days. Since the charts show 1/2 “ at the end of the sizing spectrum and my Gypsy can handle I’ll upsize to 5/8 3 strand nylon.

Old plow anchors always worked well for me, that doesn't mean it should be my first choice for a new purchase. I also sailed for years with a Danforth with no real issues. But the modern spade-type designs are downright amazing by comparison.

Chain for our MS 390

We purchased our MS390 this past July. The rode was 50ft of 3/8" chain to 3/4" nylon 3-strand. That rope diameter was not a match for the gypsy in the Lewmar Concept windlass, so the splice would hang up every time, and pressure had to be applied to help the windlass manage the oversized nylon. Also, the anchor did not pass testing in breezy sea conditions to my satisfaction even with extra rode out.

So, it was a prime opportunity to re-think our whole ground tackle system.

I differ from the crowd in that I really prefer all chain when feasible; it is more reliable through the gypsy; AND in our crowded anchorages, I don't have to worry about some &$%#@ passing too close up forward cutting our nylon rode with a prop. We always deploy a nylon snubber (with shock absorber) on it, unless it is just a quick lunch stop in light airs.

We purchased 200ft of 3/8" chain, marked it with yellow paint every 50' and red paint in between at 25'. I already had good length (250' or so) of new 5/8" nylon 3-strand, so I did not spend any money on the (admittedly) preferred and recommended 8 plait. I also upsized the anchor to a Rocna Vulcan 25 (55#). The smaller anchor and rode that came with the boat is now stored as a second/backup storm anchor or stern anchor to use when needed. We can be all chain in +/- 40ft depth w/ 5:1 rode; I like.

Pics: https://shellerina.com/2020/09/19/new-ground-tackle-system-is-deployed/

https://shellerina.com/2020/09/21/splicing-8-plait/

Last edited:
We purchased our MS390 this past July. The rode was 50ft of 3/8" chain to 5/8" nylon 3-strand. That rope diameter was not a match for the gypsy in the Lewmar Concept windlass, so the splice would hang up every time, and pressure had to be applied to help the windlass manage the oversized nylon. Also, the anchor did not pass testing in breezy sea conditions to my satisfaction even with extra rode out.

I differ from the crowd in that I really prefer all chain when feasible; it is more reliable through the gypsy; AND in our crowded anchorages, I don't have to worry about some &$%#@ passing too close up forward cutting our nylon rode with a prop. We always deploy a nylon snubber (with shock absorber) on it, unless it is just a quick lunch stop in light airs.

We purchased 200ft of 3/8" chain, marked it with yellow paint every 50' and red paint in between at 25'. I already had good length (150' or so) of new 1/2" nylon 3-strand, so I did not spend any money on the (admittedly) preferred and recommended 8 plait. I also upsized the anchor to a Rocna Vulcan 25 (55#). The smaller anchor and rode that came with the boat is now stored as a second/backup storm anchor or stern anchor to use when needed. We can be all chain in +/- 40ft depth w/ 5:1 rode; I like.

Nice photos. I have the 44# Vulcan with 5/16HT on a Monk 36 and it works very well.

One question: your anchor is not snugged up to the bow roller. Doesn't it wobble around in a sea?

Very observant!!! I'm impressed.

I actually took a bunch of pictures of the anchor all the way "up" and determined that lowering the anchor a few inches would make for a bit more interesting pic from the side angle!

In our previous (27') boat I spent money on the all S/S Ultra anchor, which we liked very much too. But this time around we saved a dime and went with the galvanized Vulcan. We are very happy with it too... I have to agree with the other posts. The newer anchor designs seem to have a leg up on older designs.

My overall observation of boats here on Great South Bay Long Is NY, is that everyone's anchors, especially on new boats, would only hold in light airs for a quick lunch. IMO: one should size their anchor to sleep confidently in [most] any weather. That piece of safety gear needs to hold when needed most.

Last edited:
Upgraded from previous owner

2002 MS 390. Chesapeake Bay. We put 100’ of 5/8 BB chain with 150’ line then went for 44lb delta from 22 lb 11 years ago. Then dragged twice in strong winds 30+ mph, once with a MS 400 rafted up to us.
Then went to 55lb Bruce 4 years ago. Held in 40+ kts with a 48 Kady Whaleback rafted up. (I know they should have dropped but we arrived 1st and dropped anchor and was a surprise overnight storm).
Then went to 66lb Bruce with a new windless to handle it ... just because I could.
Anyone want to buy a 44 or 55 Bruce or both?

Last edited:
I am about to do the same thing, replace my anchor, chain and line.

I have 41 foot Trawler weighs about 30000 lbs. My Gypsy is designed for 5/16 BBB and 9/16 or 5/8 rode.

I spent most of a weekend watching this fine sailor stress test anchors, short scope in mud, sand, seaweed & rocks. It validated what I suspected about the CQR 45 # I currently own it cannot be relied onto set properly and resetting if it did set initially is doubtful. Take peek if you would like to see from the perspective of a camera attached to the anchor chains.

First I choose two anchors one for overnights one for short stops in fair weather. My choices are Mantus M1 55# and a Fortress FX-23 respectively. This is based on setting and resetting with a short scope while the boat was moving at 2.5 knots.

As for chain length I am going for 200 ft chain and 100 ft of anchor line for the primary anchor and 100 ft. of chain and 100 ft of line for the picnic anchor.

I anticipate doing the Great Loop in 2023 and hope I will sleep soundly at night!

We purchased our MS390 this past July. The rode was 50ft of 3/8" chain to 3/4" nylon 3-strand. That rope diameter was not a match for the gypsy in the Lewmar Concept windlass, so the splice would hang up every time, and pressure had to be applied to help the windlass manage the oversized nylon. Also, the anchor did not pass testing in breezy sea conditions to my satisfaction even with extra rode out.

We purchased 200ft of 3/8" chain, marked it with yellow paint every 50' and red paint in between at 25'. I already had good length (250' or so) of new 5/8" nylon 3-strand, so I did not spend any money on the (admittedly) preferred and recommended 8 plait. I also upsized the anchor to a Rocna Vulcan 25 (55#). The smaller anchor and rode that came with the boat is now stored as a second/backup storm anchor or stern anchor to use when needed. We can be all chain in +/- 40ft depth w/ 5:1 rode; I like.

you should add a swivel makes it a lot easier to retrieve and deploy

I am about to do the same thing, replace my anchor, chain and line.

I have 41 foot Trawler weighs about 30000 lbs. My Gypsy is designed for 5/16 BBB and 9/16 or 5/8 rode.

I spent most of a weekend watching this fine sailor stress test anchors, short scope in mud, sand, seaweed & rocks. It validated what I suspected about the CQR 45 # I currently own it cannot be relied onto set properly and resetting if it did set initially is doubtful. Take peek if you would like to see from the perspective of a camera attached to the anchor chains.

First I choose two anchors one for overnights one for short stops in fair weather. My choices are Mantus M1 55# and a Fortress FX-23 respectively. This is based on setting and resetting with a short scope while the boat was moving at 2.5 knots.

As for chain length I am going for 200 ft chain and 100 ft of anchor line for the primary anchor and 100 ft. of chain and 100 ft of line for the picnic anchor.

I anticipate doing the Great Loop in 2023 and hope I will sleep soundly at night!

My only feedback is that with 200 ft of chain you will not often get to the nylon, might as well stay all chain at that point and deal with bridles/snubber. Not sure why the need for 200 ft chain, it's not adding much if anything to your holding power. If it were me, I'd invest in a really good modern anchor and maybe even upsize it depending where you fall. Then use 50-100 ft chain and a couple hundred feet nylon. Rely on your anchor, not the chain to hold you. Less chain is less weight you are dragging around with you every day.

Took the divider out of my anchor box. Rode lays in much better.

Last edited:
I want the 55 Bruce. Original Bruce not a copy?
I want it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom