Mainship 34 at sea

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bikeandboat

Vessel Name
Missing Link
Vessel Make
1986 Albin 34 Family Cruiser
My wife and I have been keeping a single diesel trawler in mind for a few years, but not acting on it. A few months ago I was working on a business deal when a 1981 34 Mainship II became part of a trade to complete the deal. I took it. I own it. Now to determine what I have.

We have been working on removing "previous owner wiring" that was not well installed. We have replaced the head, the water heater and a few other items. The prop has some damage and has been rebuilt a few times if I am correct in reading the repair stamps. The pitch definitely has been changed. We do have the 200 HP Perkins - ST6.3544M.

My question at this time concerns the history of this model boat handling the seas. We are on the river system and plan to take the boat down the Mississippi next fall for some time on the gulf coast. We will probably travel toward the Galveston area for a while with its big bays and then over to the Florida coast and make the crossing from one of the ports to Tarpon Springs. Is this a model boat good for this type cruising?

My question at this time concerns the history of this model boat handling the seas. We are on the river system and plan to take the boat down the Mississippi next fall for some time on the gulf coast. We will probably travel toward the Galveston area for a while with its big bays and then over to the Florida coast and make the crossing from one of the ports to Tarpon Springs. Is this a model boat good for this type cruising?

Welcome Bikeandboat. The Mainship 34 should be fine for coastal cruising. Just watch the weather and be careful on any long Gulf crossing. The only crossing that you would do by necessity is the one at the Big Bend area of Florida. That is very doable with good weather.

The responses to my post are appreciated. I was in hopes that some additional information might be shared, such as experiences with this model and what weather conditions were encountered. When did it start feeling unsafe? Anyway, if some owners of the early 80s Mainship 34 could share their experiences at sea I would like to hear them.

I have made a few gulf crossings, but in much larger boats. Most were around 60', so I am interested in experiences in this size vessel. Thanks

Not a fan of Mainships for aesthetic reasons but based on what I see of the ones in our marina my guess is that, like most well-found production boats of this type, it will take a whole lot more than you'll be willing to. :)

I owned a Mainship I for 15 years. The boats will handle more than the captain can, that's for sure. They will easily handle anything up to and including 4 foot chop/confused seas, and I have been out in larger, and although I didn't want to be I never felt unsafe only uncomfortable with one exception...I got caught off the Jersey coast in 7 footers head on and close and had to turn the boat to go back to a friendly inlet (Absecon). The turn and the first 2 waves were scary until I got the boat speed right.
In following seas they are "typical" but since you have the 200 Perkins that will give you the power you'll need to match the wave speed and be a little more comfortable.
The Gulf wouldn't scare me unless there was a storm and then I wouldn't be there.
If you have any specific questions ask away.
Jay

Back
Top Bottom