Mainship 34 rebuild/repower

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Woodsong

Guru
Vessel Make
Bayliner 4550 Pilothouse
A good friend sent me a link to a site detailing the full repower and refit of a 1978 Mainship 34. *Pretty amazing how much work they did to her and full details, pics, specs, etc. of the refit and repower. *Check it out- thought you all here at TF would enjoy it:
http://www.mainship34.com/index.php

Click on the repower stuff- very interesting and detailed. *300hp seems like a lot of hp for that boat but looks like they did hit a world speed record for a Mainship 34 @ 20 MPH.

-- Edited by Woodsong on Thursday 13th of January 2011 12:07:44 PM

WOW.**Holy cow they tore that boat apart!* I'm still looking for the photos of how the interior turned out...

Woodsong:* Nice link.* We use to have a 1981 34' Mainship that had the Perkins turbo.* That would move the boat along at 12 knots and 8-10 knots pretty comfortably.* There was*a big group of the early Mainship owners in the PNW and 2 had re-powered with engines rate at around 210 hp.* Those got up and moved.* I imagine the 300 hp Cummins would be a heck of a ride.*

Here is a video of him going WOT:

I posted earlier that he got up to 20 MPH. I was wrong- they did 20 knots so about 23 MPH and about 15 GPH. Not bad. I could not imagine getting my trawler to go that fast!!

Pineapple- I didn't really see any finished interior pictures either but he sure did everything else possible. Whenever I think I am spending too much money on my Monk I am going to go browse that site again to make myself feel better!! :)

-- Edited by Woodsong on Thursday 13th of January 2011 12:13:31 PM

I did a similar 1978 Mainship 34 repower from a Perk 160 to a Cummins 6BTA 270. That was in 1999.
Top speed for me with the new power was 18.5 knots (21 mph) , and I used to cruise at 12 knots at 2000 rpm and that was using about 5 gph.
The issue with the old Mainship 34s is that anything over 16 knots gets squirrelly.

Tony, I was docked in St. Augustine beside a Mainship 34 II from Jacksonville.* The guy worked for the Cummins dealer in Jacksonville, and had repowered with a Cummins 300HP.* It was set up for offshore sports fishing, and I understand that he was an avid fisherman.* He said he could cruise at 17-18 knots.* Not verified by me.* Looked like a pretty good outfit.

Back
Top Bottom