Old 10-25-2021, 09:08 AM   #1

City: Ayer, MA / Eliot, ME
Vessel Name: View from the Afternoon
Vessel Model: 1982 Mainship 34 MK II
Mainship 34 lower trottle cable length

One of my winter projects is replacing the throttle cables for the upper and lower helms. I found the length for the upper cable (34ft) but the lower cable has paint on it where I presume the length would be printed. Can someone with experience help with the length for the cable and also a recommended manufacturer?

This is for a 1982 MS 34.
Houdsie73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 10:27 AM   #2
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houdsie73 View Post
One of my winter projects is replacing the throttle cables for the upper and lower helms. I found the length for the upper cable (34ft) but the lower cable has paint on it where I presume the length would be printed. Can someone with experience help with the length for the cable and also a recommended manufacturer?

This is for a 1982 MS 34.
The old cable should have the length printed on the cable jacket towards the ends.

When we had a 1981 Mainship in the 80s, 90s, the cables from the upper helm went to the lower helm controls. Then the cables went from the lower helm to the engine.

I removed the cables going from upper helm to lower and installed new cables from the lower helm to engine.

The action of the throttle/shift levers were greatly improved.

I installed Teleflex Morse Supreme cables, which made the levers a lot less effort to move.

As old as the Mainships are, the cable arrangement was probably modified by the previous owners to what I describe by now. Maybe.
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:03 PM   #3

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
" When we had a 1981 Mainship in the 80s, 90s, the cables from the upper helm went to the lower helm controls. Then the cables went from the lower helm to the engine."

Mine was the same. I removed the lower controls and put new cables from the flybridge. They were 24' I think. 34' seems awful long... Pull 1 and measure it. Use the other to pull the new cables.
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:43 PM   #4
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
The old cable should have the length printed on the cable jacket towards the ends.

When we had a 1981 Mainship in the 80s, 90s, the cables from the upper helm went to the lower helm controls. Then the cables went from the lower helm to the engine.

I removed the cables going from upper helm to lower and installed new cables from the lower helm to engine.

The action of the throttle/shift levers were greatly improved.

I installed Teleflex Morse Supreme cables, which made the levers a lot less effort to move.

As old as the Mainships are, the cable arrangement was probably modified by the previous owners to what I describe by now. Maybe.

CORRECTION: The third line should read, "I removed the cables going from upper helm to lower and installed new cables from the upper helm to engine."
Old 10-26-2021, 07:19 AM   #5
Guru

City: South Florida
Sometimes the length is in inches at the end of the part number on the jacket. On my olde '78 MSI the cables were run in parallel, not in series. That is both the upper and lower controls went all the way to the engine and gear. When they are from upper to lower to engine/gear that is in series.

I will second the recommendation for Teleflex Xtreme cables, worth the extra $$, money well spent.

You may also want to keep the core from one of your old long cables. They are stainless, and are perfect for use as a snake for pulling wires or cables.

Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:20 PM   #6

City: New Smyrna Beach, Fl. & Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Salty Dog & Last Dragon
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster & Mainship 34 MK 1
My experience has been, best to remove cable and actually measure. Also verify end connection configuration. Many owners have modified these boats over the years!
Jc180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 06:51 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
The cables are marked at both ends. Try inspecting the other end for the markings.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 09:08 PM   #8
Guru

Best to know the length and have replacement prior to the task.

I usually connect the new cable to the old and use the old cable to pull the new cable, after removing the tie wraps.

Unless the cable run is being rerouted.
Old 10-28-2021, 06:36 AM   #9
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by syjos View Post
Best to know the length and have replacement prior to the task.

I usually connect the new cable to the old and use the old cable to pull the new cable, after removing the tie wraps.

Unless the cable run is being rerouted.
Yes but you can also pull a length of nylon line thru the chase and accomplish the same thing.
jleonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 08:51 AM   #10
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
I replaced our upper control cables and both are 34' with the controls on the left side of the console. The lower clutch control was 15' but I used a 16' because that's what the boatyard had. The only one I haven't replaced is the lower throttle! I actually did look to see if any markings were viewable but I couldn't see any. I would have to guess 12-13' would be about right for that one though.
Old 10-28-2021, 09:53 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Yes but you can also pull a length of nylon line thru the chase and accomplish the same thing.
Line does not pull as easily as the stiff cable and tend to get stuck easily around corners.

Pulling fish tape using the old cable is a better alternative.
Old 10-28-2021, 10:17 AM   #12

City: Ayer, MA / Eliot, ME
Vessel Name: View from the Afternoon
Vessel Model: 1982 Mainship 34 MK II
Thanks for the responses. I'll recheck things this weekend. I will most likely replace the upper helm cable and see if the lower needs to be replaced or not. I was hoping to do both in a single go.
Houdsie73 is offline   Reply With Quote