Old 05-05-2020, 02:18 PM   #1

City: Hobe Sound Fl
Water tank float/sending unit on Mainship 34 Pilot

Has anyone had to replace the fresh water float/sending unit on a MS 34 Pilot? Where is it located and how difficult is the task? My fresh water gauge (WEMA) is stuck in the full position. When the breaker is turned off it drops to empty.

Thanks for you help.
Dublin
Dublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 02:23 PM   #2
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Dunno where it might be, but once you find it it's reasonably simple to get it sorted if it;s their newer screw-in style (likely).

Check the KUS/WEMA website to review how it works, but basically you just turn off power, disconnect the power wires, unscrew the sender, plop it into a bucket of cleaner (muriatic acid works pretty well), let it sit and bubble for a while... then screw it back in and remake the electrical connections.

Helps to do a flush/rinse/repeat a couple times beforehand, but the task isn't really all that onerous.

If it's not set up already for quick electrical disconnect/reconnect, add some spade connectors or whatever while you're at it, for next time. Which might be in about 3 years or more depending on how often you pump and rinse, tank treatments, etc.

-Chris
Old 05-05-2020, 05:39 PM   #3
oak
Veteran Member

City: Highland Beach, Florida
Vessel Name: Miri
Vessel Model: Mainship pilot 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Dunno where it might be, but once you find it it's reasonably simple to get it sorted if it;s their newer screw-in style (likely).

Check the KUS/WEMA website to review how it works, but basically you just turn off power, disconnect the power wires, unscrew the sender, plop it into a bucket of cleaner (muriatic acid works pretty well), let it sit and bubble for a while... then screw it back in and remake the electrical connections.

Helps to do a flush/rinse/repeat a couple times beforehand, but the task isn't really all that onerous.

If it's not set up already for quick electrical disconnect/reconnect, add some spade connectors or whatever while you're at it, for next time. Which might be in about 3 years or more depending on how often you pump and rinse, tank treatments, etc.

-Chris

The fresh water sending unit on my 2007 34 pilot is accessed under a small insert in the floor of the salon.
oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #4

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
Same in my 2004 as Oak’s 2007
Freeport, NY
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #5

City: Hobe Sound Fl
Water tank float/sending unit on Mainship 34 Pilot

Thank you,

Not at the boat right now, but to be clear, you are talking about the small lift out panel centered and just aft of the v-berth door?

D
Dublin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:14 AM   #6

City: Freeport, N.Y.
Vessel Name: Guns 'N' Hoses II
Vessel Model: 2004 34' Pilothouse Sedan
Yes
Freeport, NY
kwmeyer13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 07:41 AM   #7
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
The same thing happened to me on my Pilot 34. Pull the hatch in the floor. Not sure if it is the forward one or the aft one in the cabin. Then unscrew a half dozen screws on the sender which is on the top of the water tank. Use a putty knife to pry it up and break its gasket seal. Then pull the sender up and out.

It has an articulated float that is probably stuck. Clean it up, make sure it is operating freely and put it back on.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2020, 02:55 PM   #8

City: green cove springs
Vessel Name: GEM
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
hi,

on our 2003 the float was just a donut around a center pole. other than that remove/replace was as described.
i got replacement from jamestown distributors but you can probably get anywhere, just match specs.
Old 05-07-2020, 06:47 AM   #9
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM View Post
The same thing happened to me on my Pilot 34. Pull the hatch in the floor. Not sure if it is the forward one or the aft one in the cabin. Then unscrew a half dozen screws on the sender which is on the top of the water tank. Use a putty knife to pry it up and break its gasket seal. Then pull the sender up and out.

It has an articulated float that is probably stuck. Clean it up, make sure it is operating freely and put it back on.

That would have been the older WEMA style. I guess... only I don't remember it being articulated. The newer stainless replacement just unscrews from the collar that holds it in the tank, and it's a float within a straight, perforated tube.

Very easy to replace the old style with the new (circa 2004-5?)... I think I updated ours in early 2007... and from then on, it's very easy to remove/clean/replace the "dipstick" with it's internal float.

-Chris
Old 08-16-2022, 02:49 PM   #10

City: Kittery
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: 2000 Mainship Pilot 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmeyer13 View Post
Same in my 2004 as Oak’s 2007
I have the same tank monitor problem in my 2000 Pilot 34, but there's nothing but a bilge pump under the small hatch in the floor of the forward part of the salon. Any other idea where acess might be?
Karl Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:24 AM   #11
oak
Veteran Member

City: Highland Beach, Florida
Vessel Name: Miri
Vessel Model: Mainship pilot 34
Water tank

If not under the salon floor and accessible thru that small panel. I would check under the v berth. It’s is a 75-100 gal.aluminum tank so should not be that difficult to find.
oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 06:45 AM   #12

City: Kittery
Vessel Name: Islander
Vessel Model: 2000 Mainship Pilot 34
I'll check again, but only thing in the hatch under the v-berth is the bow thruster. I was told at survey that water tank is in the forward engine compartment.
Karl Swanson is offline   Reply With Quote