Old 09-23-2020, 06:57 PM   #41
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jclays View Post
Do the diaphragm pumps work with a vacuflush toilet?
Yes.
mahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:13 PM   #42
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: AZZURRA
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 54
Sea land sells a pump called a Trash pump or T pump. While it’s not exactly a diaphragm pump it is very similar. It is in fact the same pump as the vacuum generator pump minus 1 pair of duck bill valves and sells for a third the price of the vacuum generator. The best part is you can rob parts off of the T pump in a vacuflush emergency. Running dry or priming are non issues with the T pump. Reliability and longevity are the T pumps strength.
tiltrider1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:25 PM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
I think the vacuum pump has 4 joker valves, 2 on the input and 2 on the output. The regular pump only has 1 on each side. There is supposed to be a way to modify the pump for 4 joker valves but it is something about reverse threads because they want to sell the more expensive vacuum pump.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:19 PM   #44
Guru

City: AR
I will install PVC ball valves after the PVC T to be able to isolate the macerator from the deck pump out.

You don't need a ball valve there, you need a diverter valve...aka "y-valve." (see attached photo for a typical example)

The holding tank is not a component in a VacuFlush system...the vacuum pump is the last component. It pushes the flush to the tank, same as any other toilet does. So any type of pump--manual, macerator, or diaphragm--that can be used to dump a holding tank connected to any other toilet will work to dump a holding tank connected to a VacuFlush toilet.

i looked up the 300 $ sealand pump there instructions are contradicting themselves they say you need a vented loop/siphon break between and the thru hull ? that would damage the duck bill like the seacock open .but on there same instructions the diagram does not show one?

No contradiction...all overboard discharge pumps including the Dometic/SeaLand T-Pump pull waste out of the tank and push it overboard, whether or not through a vented loop. So the tank contents move through the duckbill valves the "right" direction. A vented loop prevents sea water from starting a siphon if the thru-hull is left open when not actually in use dumping a tank,so there shouldn't be any pressure against the duckbill valves. The instructions for the T-Pump don't show a vented loop because it's totally separate from it and may not be needed in above waterline installations.

--Peggie
Attached Images

HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 09:15 AM   #45

City: Long Beach Ca
Vessel Name: Freebird
Vessel Model: 1997 Mainship 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
I will install PVC ball valves after the PVC T to be able to isolate the macerator from the deck pump out.

You don't need a ball valve there, you need a diverter valve...aka "y-valve." (see attached photo for a typical example)

The holding tank is not a component in a VacuFlush system...the vacuum pump is the last component. It pushes the flush to the tank, same as any other toilet does. So any type of pump--manual, macerator, or diaphragm--that can be used to dump a holding tank connected to any other toilet will work to dump a holding tank connected to a VacuFlush toilet.

i looked up the 300 $ sealand pump there instructions are contradicting themselves they say you need a vented loop/siphon break between and the thru hull ? that would damage the duck bill like the seacock open .but on there same instructions the diagram does not show one?

No contradiction...all overboard discharge pumps including the Dometic/SeaLand T-Pump pull waste out of the tank and push it overboard, whether or not through a vented loop. So the tank contents move through the duckbill valves the "right" direction. A vented loop prevents sea water from starting a siphon if the thru-hull is left open when not actually in use dumping a tank,so there shouldn't be any pressure against the duckbill valves. The instructions for the T-Pump don't show a vented loop because it's totally separate from it and may not be needed in above waterline installations.

--Peggie
Looks like an in-line ball valve on the line to the macerator and one on the line to the deck pump out would do the same thing as the deserter Y valves without disassembling my plumbing and positioning my waste tank.
jclays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #46

City: Seattle, WA
Vessel Name: Akeeva
Vessel Model: Nordhavn 50
Anyone have experience with the Whale Gulper Toilet Pump compared to the Sealand T12?

https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pr...er-Toilet-Pump

Both run dry without damage.

I've had T12s on two boats and they generally work well. BUT, at least a few times a year, something gets caught on the duckbill (usually the intake side, one time it was a popcorn kernel) and the pump won't prime. It's not that difficult or time consuming to clear the debris or replace the duckbill, but it's not a particularly pleasant job.

The Gulper Toilet Pump has two duckbills on each side, so both would have to be obstructed for the pump not to function. Seems like it might be an improvement, and I've had great luck with other Gulper pumps.

Thoughts?
Retriever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 12:02 PM   #47
Guru

Quote:
Looks like an in-line ball valve on the line to the macerator and one on the line to the deck pump out would do the same thing as the deserter Y valves without disassembling my plumbing and positioning my waste tank.
How can installing TWO ball valves--one in each hose--be simpler than just replacing the tee that's already installed in the tank discharge line with a y-valve?

--Peggie
Old 09-24-2020, 04:42 PM   #48

Access to t limited up against bulkhead. Can install ball valves on each line clear of obstructions
Old 09-27-2020, 02:45 PM   #49

The macerator output thru hull is out the bottom of the hull. Is this normal?
Old 09-27-2020, 03:06 PM   #50
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Not sure there is a normal, but it has been so on my two boats.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:12 PM   #51
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
That is how mine have been. You donít really want the sewage running down the side of the hull...
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 03:20 PM   #52
Guru

City: Powell River, BC
Vessel Name: Northern Spy
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 26
Quote:
Yes. Should be below waterline.
Northern Spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:36 PM   #53
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Had our holding tank macerator pump crap out a few months ago, well away from civilisation and interwebs.
Had to replumb one of the macerating electric toilets to direct overboard (above waterline) as our 105 gallon holding thank was chocablock
Pulled pump apart and the impeller had lost its blades.

Got back to interwebs range a week later and ordered a cheap yum cha 24v pump and a replacement impeller kit to meet us further up the track.
Then about 14 days to arrive.

Cheap pump working fine
Original Johnson pump rebuilt and in the spares cupboard.
Not getting caught out again.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:40 PM   #54
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
You donít really want the sewage running down the side of the hull...
Ours is above the waterline
Boat only has 2 through hulls, Main engine and genset/deckwash

Passing waves and wash when underway keep the hull side clean.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 06:45 PM   #55
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
My OB pump went down last week and I wont be able to replace it until I get home in about two weeks and no pump out station where I am. It’s just me as of today, so its manageable. Just thankful to be on the boat, especially now, so these are just small inconveniences.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:02 PM   #56
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
I decided after reading this conversation that I should probably buy a spare pump for Sonas and put it on board as there are zero pump out facilities in the islands. So we lifted the hatch and took a photo of the "pump!"

So before I can buy I am going to have to wait until my back is OK enough to get down and take this cover off to see which diaphragm pump model I have!

I suspect it is a T series.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_9518 (1440x960).jpg  
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:19 PM   #57
Guru

City: Gulf Islands, BC Canada
Vessel Name: Soo Valley
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
BTW, this is probably a god place to pontificate on one of my mantras.

Start with the most simplest (and in most case cheaper) resolution first and work your way towards the more complicated (and usually more expensive ) solutions.

This is a lesson borne of implementing fixes which cost more, only to find a 50c solution fixed the problem!

Good luck!
The KIS method works for me.
Old 09-27-2020, 08:16 PM   #58
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by menzies View Post
I decided after reading this conversation that I should probably buy a spare pump for Sonas and put it on board as there are zero pump out facilities in the islands. So we lifted the hatch and took a photo of the "pump!" I suspect it is a T series.

You guessed correctly..it is a Dometic/SeaLand T-Pump. There's only one...no "series."

--Peggie
Old 09-27-2020, 08:23 PM   #59
Guru

City: Jacksonville
Vessel Name: SONAS
Vessel Model: Grand Alaskan 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
You guessed correctly..it is a Dometic/SeaLand T-Pump. There's only one...no "series."

--Peggie
And yet...

https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...12v-dc-_-33614

I guess having a 12v and 24v is a series?
menzies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:21 PM   #60
Guru

Nope...that depends entirely on whether the DC power system on your boat is 12v or 24v...something that will affect which "version" all the DC powered equipment on your boat needs to be. At least 95% of boats have 12v systems. If you're in any doubt about which whether your boat's system is 12v or 24v, it should be clearly indicated on the label of the pump you need to replace and/or your water pump, electric toilet pump/motor assembly, washdown pump.....

--Peggie