macerator not emptying holding tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nope...that depends entirely on whether the DC power system on your boat is 12v or 24v...something that will affect which "version" all the DC powered equipment on your boat needs to be. At least 95% of boats have 12v systems. If you're in any doubt about which whether your boat's system is 12v or 24v, it should be clearly indicated on the label of the pump you need to replace and/or your water pump, electric toilet pump/motor assembly, washdown pump.....

--Peggie

Seriously, you don't think I know what voltage my boat runs?

Jaysus. Please stop posting on this.

I was commenting on what they (Sealand) designated as a "series."

FWIW, Sealand says the their 24v pump is approved for my 32v electrical system.

To the OP, do you have a resolution yet that you can share?

when i bought the boat the holding tank had waste in it. It did not empty then. The delivery captain had it pumped out and cleaned. The cabin of the boat had some odor so i put water and bleach in the holding tank to hopefully eliminate some of the odor. there is a PVC Tee at the bottom of the holding tank. One hose goes to the deck fitting the other side of the Tee goes to the macerator pump. No Y valve. The hose from the out put hose from the macerator to the seacock is wet and is leaking discovered after looking around a few days ago. Before my purchase the boat sat unused for about 6 months.
Our 400 MS has a macerator ball valve AND the overboard has a ball valve. Are both open?

Don't hassle Peggie, she has offered her professional advise
be cool , be nice ,and be safe.
Will

Don't hassle Peggie, she has offered her professional advise
be cool , be nice ,and be safe.
Will

It's ten o'clock, do YOU know what voltage(s) your boat system is? :D

My pump wouldn't prime and the pump was new. I filled the tank about 1/2 full of water first. The tank was plastic so I drilled a small hole in the top and used my inflatable pump to pressurized it. After a few minutes it pumped it out. Then I put a plug in the small hole I had drilled into the tank. I was surprised, but it worked.

I've owned mainship before with same problems.
1) check through hull from inside boat after you take inside hose off of seacock. Open valve slowly on seacock and see if water comes in. If it does, go to 2.
2) attach hose to seacock and replace both hose clamps with new ones. Open sea cock again and sea if water comes through hose between seacock and open end of hose. This is where my problem was. At first nothing happened then slowly I got a slow poop sludge coming at me. I let it go into a bucket until clear. Yuck.
3) attached end to my brand new macerator after I had tried to rebuild old one. Don't waste your time rebuilding. The gaskets are crap, I discovered a threaded rod and nut broken. Big mess and waste of time. Few bucks more you get new one. Keep a spare with you.

Always have diver keep your through hulls open and barnacle free.

Also, I could not get 1/2 full tank to pump out but full tank would. When the plastic tank bulged, I flipped on pump and pushed down on top of bulging tank and away went trouble down the drain.

Last edited:
Seriously, you don't think I know what voltage my boat runs?

Jaysus. Please stop posting on this.

I was commenting on what they (Sealand) designated as a "series."

You having a bad day? That’s a pretty snarky response to someone that is kindly offering you information that might be helpful.

Might not apply to you, but the next guy reading it might need that info. FWIW, there are boats (mine included) that run both 12 and 24 volt equipment (and 120v and 240v) so its not always so obvious what the voltage would be for a specific item or system.

See, you just learned something after all. You can thank Peggie for that.

You having a bad day? That’s a pretty snarky response to someone that is kindly offering you information that might be helpful.

Might not apply to you, but the next guy reading it might need that info. FWIW, there are boats (mine included) that run both 12 and 24 volt equipment (and 120v and 240v) so its not always so obvious what the voltage would be for a specific item or system.

See, you just learned something after all. You can thank Peggie for that.

Too funny.

Yep, mine is 24v and 12v (electronics). Has been since I bought it too. Go figure that I knew that.

But given I have been boating since I was eight years old and having owned my own boats since I was 24, I found the comment condescending and insulting.

Note I said I found it that way. You or anyone else didn't have to, that's fine with me. And I am sure Peggy, who I have been communicating with for over 20 years, can hold her own corner.

Now I look forward to see what the resolution was, to see who nailed it.

Last edited:
Replaced the macerator and the hose from macerator to thru hull now works.

hi,

vacuflush is upstream of the holding tank. it doesn't care what kind of pump you have emptying the holding tank. as an aside i think the vacuflush system uses diaphragm pumps.

we switched to a diaphragm pump on our holding tank 13 years ago. all winters spent in bahamas where there are no "pumpout" boats. it has never failed. it's worth every penny.

For emptying a holding tank, a macerator pump is the 3rd best option. They are expensive and unreliable. A diaphram pump is better.
I find the best solution is gravity. Mount your black water tank above the water line and just open the drain valve to empty.

For
I find the best solution is gravity. Mount your black water tank above the water line and just open the drain valve to empty.

Right on! Thats what we did. I moved my tank to the middle of the salon. Gravity takes it away. Only down side is we trip over the tank as we walk around. Thinking about making it into a coffee table.

Right on! Thats what we did. I moved my tank to the middle of the salon. Gravity takes it away. Only down side is we trip over the tank as we walk around. Thinking about making it into a coffee table.
Must see pictures. :whistling:

thought i posted this but i guess i'm imagining things.

vacuflush is upstream from holding tank and has nothing to do with pump used to empty holding tank. btw, i think vacuflush system uses diaphragm pumps.

we replaced our macerator 13 years ago with a sealand diaphragm pump. all those winters were spent in bahamas where you live or die by being able to pumpout. never failed us and worth every penny.

Back
Top Bottom