M400 - Swim Ladder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sailorskip

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Blooper
Vessel Make
2004 Mainship 400T
Has anyone replaced their swim ladder?

The powder coating on the mine is long shot: a quote for a new ladder from the OEM mfr. (GGSchmitt) is over $600 - and almost a month to get. Apparently it is not a stock item.

I'm going to check with a powder coater to see if it is salvageable. If not, any other ladder will require filling and creating new fastener holes, etc.

Has anyone had any experience?

Thanks...

Skip
Tampa

Once it has corrosion I don’t think that powder coating will last very long since they will not get all the corrosion off. It may last a while but I would bite the bullet and go to stainless steel.

A friend has the same or similar ladder on his Sea Ray. He had it sandblasted and powder coated, though I am not sure how much it cost. I might try that with mine eventually.

FYI -
If you end up going with a different ladder I found that on my '08 34HT MS buried an alum plate as a backer in the mounting area. When I broke a couple mounting bolts I was able to drill & tap new holes.

Also - If you have any interest in trying a DIY coating...
I recently tried POR 15 and was impressed with it. I tried it based on many great reviews including it's acid resistance in batty compartments. There is a metal prep they recommend for alum and advise a topcoat when exposed to UV.

Last edited:
I am having the existing ladder recoated, estimated cost about $250. It is a combination of powder coating and a rubber like coating. Takes about a week.

I prefer this route as it uses the existing tap holes on the swim platform and the reinstallation will go much easier.

BTW, I did get a quote from the OEM supplier, GGSchmitt. Apparently, not in inventory, but they would make one for me for $663 + shipping. It would take about a month. Ouch.

Let me know how it goes as i will have to do the same to my 2004 400

Attachments

• IMG_3043.jpg
    IMG_3043.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 39
That's a nice looking 400 Kev! Did you add the hardtop?

While you guys have your ladders off you might consider the step pad mod I did on ours.
It makes it a lot more comfortable on bare feet and not all that difficult with the ladder already off.

https://dkloeber.wixsite.com/bacchus/projects

The hardtop was installed by PO but we have added the clears and shades.
I have upgrade the electronics to Simrad, bur unfortunately unable to use at the moment,

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom