Old 08-20-2015, 05:27 PM   #1
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Lot's of discussion on the Yahoo Group

There is a lot of discussion over on the Yahoo Mainship group. Might be a lot of new TF members coming over. Biggest complaint in the Yahoo group is there is not enough Mainship activity on TF. People are saying that if everyone comes over that will change
John
MS390
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:44 PM   #2
Guru

City: Inside Passage Summer/Columbia River Winter
Vessel Name: Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Model: 1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Come on over! Welcomed with a scotch and a cheap cigar!!!
Alaskan Sea-Duction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:50 PM   #3

I tried joining a few weeks ago and still haven't been approved. Think I'll stay right here.
folivier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:53 PM   #4
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Bring them on great peeps here
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 06:42 PM   #5
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
Be sure to let me know when they're coming. I'll inform the welcoming committee and strike up the marching band.

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:37 PM   #6
Guru

City: Hotel, CA
John I'd love to see them but have heard this before. As to not enough Mainship activity the number one brand of boat that I moved threads out of the General section and into the builder forum was Mainship. I'd move 10-20 Mainship threads for every Krogen, Nordhavn, or other brand.

Tell your buddies there won't be any more content here than normal(which is quite a bit) if they ain't over here creating it.

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they've been fooled - Mark Twain
CPseudonym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
Guru

City: Sydney
Vessel Name: Sojourn
Vessel Model: Integrity 386
If the Mainship yahoo site is anything like the IG one, it`s an easy decision.
BruceK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:54 PM   #8
Guru

City: Pahrump, NV
Vessel Name: Pairadice
Vessel Model: Sold Selene 47
What's sa Mainship? Is it a Trawler?
Crusty Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 12:47 PM   #9
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
several people are still pushing over there to move here.
It appears some of them started a facebook forum so they could trade photo's. im going iover now to tell them to join here and that its easy do do photos here. stay tuned....
john
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 01:09 PM   #10
Guru

City: Longboat Key, FL
Vessel Name: Bucky
Vessel Model: Krogen Manatee 36 North Sea
Yahoo Groups as a host isn't very easy to use or navigate. Conversation and traffic is also down with Krogen Cruisers Group. Posting or navigating to projects and photos are a pain so some of us give up. I did.

"When life gets hard, eat marshmallows”.
healhustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 02:22 PM   #11
Guru

City: Atlantic Highlands, NJ
Vessel Name: Moana Huaka'i
Vessel Model: Selene 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyWright View Post
Be sure to let me know when they're coming. I'll inform the welcoming committee and strike up the marching band.
do we have to wear TF shirts
No Mast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 04:44 PM   #12

City: The Villages, FL
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 350/390
Just subscribed to this thread

I have been a member of TF for sometime, however never really used it. But with all the discussion on the Yahoo site I have now subscribed to this forum. So Here I am..

We have a 97 350 with twin Volvo's. Just completed the Loop with her a month ago. Check out our blog at ontheloopwithserenity.blogspot.com. We have owned this boat since 2002.

Glad to be here.
johnsct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
Guru

City: Diberville Mississippi
Vessel Name: KnotDoneYet
Vessel Model: 1983 42' Present Sundeck
Welcome aboard John! That's a great blog you have.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️
Old 08-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #14

City: Clear Lake Shores,Tx
Vessel Name: In Disguise
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 40 DC
I'm also a member of the yahoo group, and I occasionally read the daily e-mails, but I much prefer this group as it is much easier to use. And, you're right, if they come over and use the Mainship forum, there'll be as much here as there is on Yahoo. I for one will not follow if they go to Facebook. I have absolutely no desire to sign up there for any reason.
wyoboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 06:27 AM   #15
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsct View Post
I have been a member of TF for sometime, however never really used it. But with all the discussion on the Yahoo site I have now subscribed to this forum. So Here I am..

We have a 97 350 with twin Volvo's. Just completed the Loop with her a month ago. Check out our blog at ontheloopwithserenity.blogspot.com. We have owned this boat since 2002.

Glad to be here.
John...
Welcome
I have been a member of both but much prefer TF and see no reason why the MS sub forum at TF couldn't serve as a direct substitute for the yahoo MS one.
I've expressed my opinion there and will continue to monitor sentiments.

Don
'08 34 HT
"Bacchus"
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 09:27 AM   #16
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Why I prefer a dedicated Mainship forum

Don asked me over on the Yahoo Mainship site why I prefer a dedicated Mainship forum, not part of TF. This is my answer as posted on Yahoo:

Don and others:

It seems that the boat specific subforums on Trawler Forum are lightly used. The Mainship subforum has ten times the traffic of any other boat however. Maybe that is because Yahoo is so crappy and boats like the Grand Banks have good and active dedicated forums. So it would be better to start a forum dedicated to Mainships, separate from the Yahoo or TF sites. There should be plenty of prospective members.

I don't know what it takes to start a form. Is the ubiquitous vBulletin system that TF and lots of other sites are based on available to anyone that wants to start a specialty web site? That system is ok, but polluted with ads.

If I were a young IT professional, had access to web hosting, owned a Mainship, loved her and planned to keep her forever, I would start my own forum using one of the free software packages like Simple Machines Forum. I am not that person.

Anyone listening? But lacking that someone, the TF subforum is certainly a better option than Yahoo.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 10:57 AM   #17
Scraping Paint

City: -
There are two Grand Banks owners forums. The original one was started some two decades ago by a couple of guys and it was hosted by a large east coast GB distributor/dealer. When GB reorganized and dropped this company as a distributor/dealer the company decided to no longer host the owners forum.

The two founders took it over themselves and it remains this way today. However GB itself decided to create an owners forum as part of their website. The independent forum, the IAGBO, is the most popular but the GB-hosted site has a following, too. Some owners participate in both.

The independnt site remains ad-free.
Marin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:17 PM   #18
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Al, Craig, Anyone else?
Anyone aware of a way to import history from another forum??
If so that could be a major factor.

One of the major barriers to moving is losing all the history - assuming the yahoo site goes away if nobody uses it. The owner / moderator has chimed in and seems willing to cooperate to some extent.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:04 PM   #19
Guru

City: Cary, NC
Vessel Name: Skinny Dippin'
Vessel Model: Navigator 4200 Classic
Perhaps the Mainship people are missing the fact that not all Mainship questions make it into the Mainship sub-forum. If it's an engine specific question, it goes in the engine section. If it's an anchor question, it goes in the anchor forum, and so on. Don't just assume that a lightly used forum that is Mainship specific means there isn't a lot of activity by Mainship owners. It might likely be just because it is a little diluted by topic-specific questions.

And Craig is right... Those guys have said before that they are all coming and they never really have in any great number. I, for one, would love to have them all here. I tend to get a little sick to my stomach when I try and use the Yahoo Groups. Might as well be an alt.trawlers.mainship BBS newsgroup :-)
Old 08-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #20
Guru

City: Sarasota,FL/Thomasville,GA
Vessel Name: Steppin Stone IV
Vessel Model: Marine Trader Kelly Trawler 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom.B View Post
Perhaps the Mainship people are missing the fact that not all Mainship questions make it into the Mainship sub-forum. If it's an engine specific question, it goes in the engine section. If it's an anchor question, it goes in the anchor forum, and so on. Don't just assume that a lightly used forum that is Mainship specific means there isn't a lot of activity by Mainship owners. It might likely be just because it is a little diluted by topic-specific questions.

And Craig is right... Those guys have said before that they are all coming and they never really have in any great number. I, for one, would love to have them all here. I tend to get a little sick to my stomach when I try and use the Yahoo Groups. Might as well be an alt.trawlers.mainship BBS newsgroup :-)

I agree I actually joined the MT forum a paid service and it just does not have a big enough user base to get a diverse answer

For example not all my make and model even had the same engine on here I can ask a Volvo TAMD question and get lots of great answers

Welcome all the new guys coming over
siestakey is offline   Reply With Quote