Old 03-14-2019, 09:19 AM   #1

City: Rocky Point
Vessel Name: Livin The Dream
Vessel Model: Sea Ray
1995 Mainship 37 w/twin yanmars

Hello,

Looking like my previous deal (silverton) has fallen through. I looked at a 1995 Mainship 37 w/twin yanmars, does anyone have this boat who could share their experience? The engines have 1300 hours. Honestly the condition was on OK, needed a clean up as the saloon was dirty. The engines appeared to be in decent shape. I do plan to have a survey done and will also have the engines surveyed. I did notice there was a fiberglass repair done on the outside of the hull about 3 feet from the bottom of the boat. I don't like the way this repair was done as I can see strands of fiberglass that was painted over. I am sure the surveyor will pick this up. In terms of sequence of buying can someone answer these quesions?:

1. Boat is on the hard, should I have it surveyed that way and arrange to have it splash so a sea trail can be performed?
2. Should I do the boat survey first and if all goes will schedule the engine survey?

Here is a link to the boat:
https://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/b...840073122.html
larman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by larman View Post
In terms of sequence of buying can someone answer these quesions?:

1. Boat is on the hard, should I have it surveyed that way and arrange to have it splash so a sea trail can be performed?
2. Should I do the boat survey first and if all goes will schedule the engine survey?
The Survey is really broken into several parts:

Step #1: Structural: Hull, Deck, stringers, bulkheads, condition, inventory
Step #2: Mechanical (Pumps, Systems, Fridge, Stove, chargers, Head, Electrical, Electronics, Heat/AC, etc)
Step #3: Seatrail

The Hull survey is done out of the water. The mechanical survey is usually done in the water along with the engine survey and sea trial

The Hull and Mechanical Survey are done by the Marine Surveyor. The engine and generator should have a separate mechanic at the time of the sea trial.

1) Make an offer (Commonly P&S signed with deposit)

2) Hull Survey

If the Hull Survey passes, continue

3) Launch boat and perform a mechanical survey, engine survey, and sea trial. (These are typically done at the same time, so both the surveyor and the mechanic will be scheduled together).
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 03:28 PM   #3
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
The MS 37 usually came with gasoline engines. In fact the ten that are for sale now on Yachtworld are all gassers. Which Yanmars? Probably the Yanmar 4LH 220 hp engine.

That is a solid engine and should push the boat to an easy 15 kt cruise. Have your engine surveyor check out the exhaust system geometry. You need at least 12" of clearance from the spill over point on the riser to the water line.

The price is also very good for a diesel. I would jump on this deal if the survey holds up.

David
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:09 PM   #4

City: Rocky Point
Vessel Name: Livin The Dream
Vessel Model: Sea Ray
Thanks for the replies.
larman is offline   Reply With Quote