Installed Balmar SG200 Battery Monitor in MS400

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garmstro55

Vessel Name
Seventh Sojourn
Vessel Make
Mainship 400
One of the weekend projects was to install a battery monitor on the house battery. We want to anchor out more often and I wanted to get a better handle on the state of charge.

The gauge fits nicely to the left of the fridge just above the fresh water tank monitor. It needs a 53mm hole (approx 2-1/16") so since Lowes doesn't have the metric hole saws I went with a 2" hole and used a dremel and a rasp to make it big enough.

The Balmar comes with a shunt (which I mounted to the aft bulkhead near the batteries) that has two threaded studs on it. My battery cable terminal uses a post, so I found in the marine store a "screw-on" post that is designed to convert a threaded battery terminal to a post. I screwed this on the shunt and wrestled the negative battery cable to connect to it.

A short, 12 inch, black cable with ring terminals was used to connect from the other side of the shunt to a bolt-on battery terminal with a screw post.

Running the included cable to the back of the gauge was a piece of cake, once I pulled out the fridge to get access.

Powered everything up and now I can see if the battery is charging, discharging and how long until the battery will need to be charged by running the generator. Took about 4 hours all together, including several trips to the store. Very happy with the installation.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 52
Very nice. Looking online at the wiring schematic, it seems pretty easy. I emailed the company and asked if they offer a system for 2 house batteries.

Last edited:
Very nice. Was there any issues with the shunt?

Biggest issue was the boat battery cable had the typical connection meant to put on a battery post, whereas the shunt was threaded, meant for a ring terminal. I found one of these at the store and screwed it to the shunt, then attached the cable that I had removed from the battery.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    18.5 KB · Views: 41
Very nice. Looking online at the wiring schematic, it seems pretty easy. I emailed the company and asked if they offer a system for 2 house batteries.

Balmar has a very good collection of documentation.

SG200 Battery Monitor | Balmar

Each battery monitor will handle up to 2 start batteries and a house bank. If you have two batteries in your house bank, this is treated as a single bank. IF you have two separate house banks, you would need an additional set-up.

Balmar has a very good collection of documentation.

SG200 Battery Monitor | Balmar

Each battery monitor will handle up to 2 start batteries and a house bank. If you have two batteries in your house bank, this is treated as a single bank. IF you have two separate house banks, you would need an additional set-up.

Here is an excellent write up of the device. I bought mine from there to support the great articles Ron puts up for free.

https://marinehowto.com/balmar-sg200-self-learning-battery-monitor/

Nice.

I did the same thing to my boat a year or so back, except I went with a victron BMZ 700 monitor. I took the water gauge out (it never worked anyway) and installed the SOC monitor in its place. Worked out well.

The Balmar meter got very good reviews on CMS. I will probably put one in next winter when I pull my starboard engine. Then I will be able to get to the battery area much more easily.

if you're going to install a battery monitor, install the Ballmar Smart Gauge. It works on all types of batteries, monitors the state of charge of the house and start battery, and it doesn't need a shunt to be installed. I had one on my MS400 and it was invaluable.

if you're going to install a battery monitor, install the Ballmar Smart Gauge. It works on all types of batteries, monitors the state of charge of the house and start battery, and it doesn't need a shunt to be installed. I had one on my MS400 and it was invaluable.
That's good news. I have one in a box that I'm planning on installing. I have read RC / CMS review and was impressed.

I just installed the same one two weeks ago when I installed my new house batteries. Easy install just like you said.

This is the successor to the SmartGauge...thus the SG in the SG200. It's in it's own league, IMO.

I admit....I have a wee bit of SOC envy.

Hi everyone

I have a question about these battery monitors. I just did a rebuild on my charging system and installed an amp meter which showed the output of the alternator. My thoughts were that I could see the state of my batteries by the output on the meter. Over the past few months I have noted the when they are heavily used the output is 120A+ for quite some time (more than a couple hours) and when they are all topped off the output is below 25A. Am I missing something here? I have easy access to the batteries and a spot to put it and would be happy yo do the install I just want to know that it will be useful. Thanks

Rob

The SG200 learns your battery bank so the SOC gets more and more accurate as time goes by. It also has a SOH (health). It tells you how your batteries are doing as to length of time before you need to replace them. Definitely worth having.

Hi everyone

I have a question about these battery monitors. I just did a rebuild on my charging system and installed an amp meter which showed the output of the alternator. My thoughts were that I could see the state of my batteries by the output on the meter. Over the past few months I have noted the when they are heavily used the output is 120A+ for quite some time (more than a couple hours) and when they are all topped off the output is below 25A. Am I missing something here? I have easy access to the batteries and a spot to put it and would be happy yo do the install I just want to know that it will be useful. Thanks

Rob
It is nice to be able to just look at and see how much capacity you have left. The crew can just look at it and see that there is 86% (just an example) remaining.

Hi Diverrob,

You can only guess at your battery's state of charge (SOC) by watching your ammeter over time. The only way to accurately measure (and display) SOC is via a battery monitor. There are many flavors, but the current front-runner is the Balmar SG200, about $200 I believe.

You've previously been directed to Rod Collin's excellent website (Compass Marine) regarding this subject. Take the time to read his stuff. It's pretty good. And there's a ton more available on the WWW as well.

https://marinehowto.com/balmar-sg200...ttery-monitor/

Regards,

Pete

Ok so that is a different beast than the others I have looked at and something to seriously look at. Thanks for the info everyone

Rob

I installed mine (a Link Pro) into the centre of the non functioning tank gauge and used the switch for sensor wires to the engine battery and a separate one to the generator battery. That way I can check both battery and generator voltage at the gauge by flicking the switch. Also saved yet another hole...

When installing an SG200 note this point:

The SmartShunt should be located as close to the battery as possible, preferably within 12 inches.

I was too lazy to do this and so tried an installation with the shunt about 12' from the batteries on the other side of the battery switch. (The battery switch was always left in the ON position.) Tech support told me beforehand this probably wouldn't work too well -- they were correct.

If you were any early purchaser of the SG prior to 9/19... there are several firmware upgrades to fix initial problems.... heres a link to the up dates SG200 Software Updates | Balmar Other than sending the unit back to the factory the only way to update the firmware is with a SG2-0300 which is a bluetooth adapter then down load the updates from the apple store....

I have an sg200 on my boat. It does some strange things like alarming that the battery is completely discharged after an hour and half when nothing was turned on (and the battery is clearly not discharged because it starts the engine with no trouble).

The best thing I can say about the SG200 is that the display is a lot easier to read than a Victron display. I can read the amps in/out and the volts. The SOC and SOH I don't really pay much attention to because I have little confidence in the numbers.

FWIW, the SG200 seems to be designed for large battery banks. Apparently small banks can cause the algorithm trouble (Yes, my software is up to date.).

I may put the Victron 602 back in next time I have that part of the boat apart again.

I've had a Smart Gauge since 2015 (AGM bank) and I'm a fan -- but I don't believe they work on lithium (LiFeP04) banks (because their voltage is too consistent). I'd guess this was a motivation for developing the SG200.

Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

I bought an SG200 last fall that I just installed about a month ago. I had the original Smartgauge but really wanted to be able to see Amp draw and have an estimate of time to charge and time to empty. Like my old install, I have it set up for the house bank as primary. It also shows me voltage on my start (auxiliary) bank.

I also got the Bluetooth dongle. Attached is a screenshot of what the phone display looks like. I like being able to monitor it from anywhere on the boat, not just at the gauge in the salon.

I have not spent much time off shore power with it yet but will have an extended stay on a mooring coming up. Looking forward to seeing how it works. Being able to see amp draw is a big improvement. And the display is much more attractive and easier to view than the old device. I too had to update the firmware and needed to call Balmar for some assistance with that. But as usual, Dale on the tech line fixed me up.

My understanding is N2K interface is on the drawing board. That would be really nice to have. But no ETA on that.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200608-144300_Balmar.jpg
    Screenshot_20200608-144300_Balmar.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 41
Attached is a screenshot of what the phone display looks like. I like being able to monitor it from anywhere on the boat, not just at the gauge in the salon.
What were you running on your boat that showed -13.92 amps going out? :blush:

I don't recall exactly but I think both of my 2 drawer fridge/freezers and my stereo (which means my 3 plotters were on since it's a black box stereo).

I don't recall exactly but I think both of my 2 drawer fridge/freezers and my stereo (which means my 3 plotters were on since it's a black box stereo).
Interesting! Are all those above mentioned,12V systems & was your shore power off when that iPhone graphic was taken? example: My Maretron SOC shows that I have a positive 3.7 amps going in (charger)to the House batts. (Batt 1) If the amps were coming out, the SOC would have a minus sign in from of the amp value.
(Example: -3.7a)

Attachments

• SOC.jpg
    SOC.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
The plotters are 12v. The fridges are 110V running off my inverter. No shore power or generator at this point. If shore power was on i would expect it to show (+) amps as the charger charged the batteries (bulk/absorb/float). Once at full charge it generally shows 0.0 amps as the charger is supplying power to 12v systems and not putting any power into my batteries. No no net amps in either directions once batteries are charged.

The plotters are 12v. The fridges are 110V running off my inverter. No shore power or generator at this point.
That's a good example of just how many amps the inverter uses from the batts when an appliance like your fridges are being run by it. Thanks for the explanation! :blush:

Attachments

• pico-rv-marine-battery-tank-monitor1.png
    pico-rv-marine-battery-tank-monitor1.png
    129.7 KB · Views: 35
  • pico-rv-marine-battery-tank-monitor3.png
    pico-rv-marine-battery-tank-monitor3.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 40
I am assuming that you have a smart charging system of some sort. The charge varies on the state/charge of the batteries. Along with amp meter voltage would be helpful (digital volts xx.x) The systems go up to about 14.7 volts in a bulk charge then drop to about 14.5 volts for a absorb charging which could be for a longer period of time, then drop to float voltage when the engine continues to run. Watching the voltage can also tell you the state of the battery charge if you watch the voltage to the 1/10 or 1/100 of a volt after the engine is shut off. Voltage measurement does not require a shunt

Back
Top Bottom