information on mainship trawlers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DenaWeese

Good day, this is my first venture into the trawler forum. My wife and I are looking to do the loop and have some questions about boats manufactured by Mainship.

please review the questions below and share whatever information you have.

What years were each of the following models were produced
400, expedition & 414?

How many of units produced per year?

In each year, how many each year were fitted with single engines and how many with twin engines?

what engine options available by year?

what is the approximate GPH for each engine configuration?

Which years and models included thruster options, bow or stern? Were these thrusters standard or optional?

It appears that the galley was relocated as the model transitioned from 400 to expedition. Is this accurate, that all expedition and 414 models have the galley forward opposite the helm?

Are all of these models fitted with the same volumes for fuel, water and grey water tanks?

It appears that the twin engine models draft to a different depth than the single engine models, could you please provide these dimensions?

Thank you for your assisatnce.

Peter
I am not very familiar with the 400 series MS but can provide a link that has lots of useful info.
Stella Blue Home
The other resource that might provide some answers would be to search yachtworld or other boats for sale sights and review the specs.
A search for various models & reviews may turn up industry reviews with useful info.
Lots of current & prior MS owners here so hopefully some will respond with at least some pieces of info.
My Bacchus website has some MS info but not much relative to the 400.

I am afraid many of your questions will be unanswerable since the company is basically gone. Marlowe bought the name but do not support the old Mainships. I can talk about the 400 a bit.

They were made starting in later 2003, some 390's were made the same year so you could have both a 390 and a 400 being a 2003 model year. They were made until at least 2008 I think, but don't quote me.

The engine options I am aware of on the 400 were twin Yanmar 4LHA-STP 240 HP or 6 cylinder Yanmars. Older models 390 and 350 may have Volvos or Caterpillars. I have not seen a Cummins but that is also possible I suppose.

I believe a bow thruster was standard on 400's not sure about the others.

If you look in the Library on this forum you can find a fuel consumption chart that I uploaded for the 400's, both single and twin.

I don't believe any models had a gray water tank, just a black water holding tank.

Also in the library you'll find a chart comparing features for the 350, 390 and 400 which should address additional questions.

I don't believe the draft changes when going from twin to single engines, the owners manual for the 400 says 3 feet 8 inches draft for both.

If you have specific 400 questions, fire away.

Welcome aboard. Good luck with your search.

No offense, but much of these questions are completely irrelevant. Production years and number of models based on production year, model and config. This is data collection down to the minutia.

Currently Yachtworld only has 62 Mainships for sale in the entire United States (67 in all of North America). That is all models, all years. There are no Mainship 400's or 414's for sale in North America at all, right now.

Yes, my friend with an identical Mainship (390) with twins sits about 1-2 inches lower at the stern than mine does (single). It is obvious when we raft up. The difference of 2" of draft is irrelevant. You can pass your keel over a clam or a stone that sits 2" tall on the seabed.

Good day, this is my first venture into the trawler forum. My wife and I are looking to do the loop and have some questions about boats manufactured by Mainship.

please review the questions below and share whatever information you have.

What years were each of the following models were produced
400, expedition & 414?

How many of units produced per year?

In each year, how many each year were fitted with single engines and how many with twin engines?

what engine options available by year?

what is the approximate GPH for each engine configuration?

Which years and models included thruster options, bow or stern? Were these thrusters standard or optional?

It appears that the galley was relocated as the model transitioned from 400 to expedition. Is this accurate, that all expedition and 414 models have the galley forward opposite the helm?

Are all of these models fitted with the same volumes for fuel, water and grey water tanks?

It appears that the twin engine models draft to a different depth than the single engine models, could you please provide these dimensions?

Thank you for your assisatnce.
whats a 414 know the 400 390 370 340 and 430 well

The Stella Blue site that Bacchus provided above is by far your best Mainship 400 resource.

It is based on the single Yanmar 370 engine, but fuel consumption figures at a given speed will be similar for boats with the twins.

David

Back
Top Bottom