inaccessible backing plates???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabe n Em

Guru
Vessel Name
Volans
Vessel Make
2001 PDQ MV 32
I noticed one of the bow stanchion bases was leaking into the boat a couple days ago so today I tried to re-bed it... except I cant access the backing plates.

The only way I can think of actually getting to these backing plates is to pry the hull/deck joint open. Is this a thing? that seems crazy!:banghead:

Anybody have suggestions?:eek: This is on a 1981 mainship 40'

Generic response: Often there's a way in from the inside. Remove inner closet liners? Remove (or otherwise get behind) cabinetry? Cut a hole, and then cover with an access plate?

Would depend on which stanchion, where it's grounded, what's inside where it's grounded, etc.

-Chris

Thanks Chris, there is a way from inside but you can't see anything or get your hand in there. the only way to do it would be a ratchet with a LONG (10") extension and blindly "feel" around with that. really not preferable either...

Thanks Chris, there is a way from inside but you can't see anything or get your hand in there. the only way to do it would be a ratchet with a LONG (10") extension and blindly "feel" around with that. really not preferable either...

Costco is selling a decent resolution color inspection camera again. I splurged just because of all the hidden, inaccessible treasures our boats seem to hold. :facepalm: Under 70 bucks. :thumb:

Bore scopes are pretty cheap and too handy not to have on a boat. I think John the moderator purchased a new one last year for less than $50 on eBay.

I use a Webcam on a 6ft cord to my pc. $30

May not be any backing plates. I just screwed out the machine screws. Came out w/o a hitch. and heard no sounds of falling nuts, washers or backing plates. screwed them back in and called it good. Been that way for some years now and have experienced no structural weakness or movement that should'nt be there.

It may be that Willard drilled the holes to be tapped and did so. Could be nuts in the FG lamanent under the cap rail .. ?? If it holds the hardware OK w me.

Frequently borrow my Doctor's Colonoscope for those higher resolution shots in impossible places!

Back
Top Bottom