Old 06-23-2021, 02:25 PM   #1
Guru

City: Savannah, Ga.
Vessel Name: Indigo Star
Vessel Model: 2006 Mainship 400
If you wanted to add a cooling fan?

Hello,

I work for a company that does HALT testing (Highly Accelerated Life Testing) for aerospace products and we see so many devices fail due to high temps (despite what the OEM claims) .. I was just wondering if you could add a 12v high output cooling fan anywhere on your Mainship/Trawler where would it be?

Alternator?
Engine area?
Inverter/Battery Charger?

????

Thanks for your input.
Jeff
jefndeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:41 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefndeb View Post
Hello,

I work for a company that does HALT testing (Highly Accelerated Life Testing) for aerospace products and we see so many devices fail due to high temps (despite what the OEM claims) .. I was just wondering if you could add a 12v high output cooling fan anywhere on your Mainship/Trawler where would it be?

Alternator?
Engine area?
Inverter/Battery Charger?

????

Thanks for your input.
Jeff
There is a thread going on here now on fuel cooler removal that may benefit with forced air cooling. I just suggested that on that thread.

On our boat I added a small cooling fan (50mAmp draw) to blow cooling air onto the compressor of the refer.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 04:57 PM   #3
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post
There is a thread going on here now on fuel cooler removal that may benefit with forced air cooling. I just suggested that on that thread.

On our boat I added a small cooling fan (50mAmp draw) to blow cooling air onto the compressor of the refer.

I think that is a great use for a cooling fan. In the engine room, I think that for most of us the engine intake draws so much air into the engine that a cooling fan would be pointless. OTOH, I will turn on the ER blower after engine shut down to exhaust the hot air once the engine is shut off. I keep thinking of wiring in a timer for it.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:10 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Comodave View Post

The Vitrigo fridges used on many MS have pre-wired 12V contacts for that purpose and fan was an option AFAIK. I have wanted to pull my fridge to see if the fan was present and add one if not. Would likely need more vent inlet area.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 07:42 PM   #5
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Fridge for sure, and next would be the alternator, a very strong one.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
On our last boat, the President, we had a Vitrifugo and I added a low and high vents along with a 50 mApm fan. What a difference it made. But you do need both vents. I actually put the fan on the low vent pushing air into the cabinet. With the high vent it helped push the hot air up and out of the box.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 12:42 PM   #7
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I will turn on the ER blower after engine shut down to exhaust the hot air once the engine is shut off.
I personally doubt that makes much difference. There is a lot of heat in the block and fuel tanks and ER structure and anything else contained in the ER. It'll take time for that to dissipate.

I've just added an N2K thermometer for the ER to see if I'm right about that or not.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 01:27 PM   #8
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by danderer View Post
I personally doubt that makes much difference. There is a lot of heat in the block and fuel tanks and ER structure and anything else contained in the ER. It'll take time for that to dissipate.

I've just added an N2K thermometer for the ER to see if I'm right about that or not.
It certainly does not do any good when anchoring in air conditioning weather when you are going to run the generator which simultaneously draw in a lot of air and yet add its own heat load.

When anchoring in finer, no-generator-required weather, a big enough exhaust fan, whether AC or DC will be drawing a lot of the battery power one might wish reserved for refrigeration or other domestic uses -depends on a lot of different variables.

When mooring to a pier with shore power, I'm ready to light any exhaust fan I have off or even leave the hatches open and blow a window fan for a short period to rid the boat of excessive heat from the ER.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 02:35 PM   #9
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhays View Post
I think that is a great use for a cooling fan. In the engine room, I think that for most of us the engine intake draws so much air into the engine that a cooling fan would be pointless. OTOH, I will turn on the ER blower after engine shut down to exhaust the hot air once the engine is shut off. I keep thinking of wiring in a timer for it.
Rather than a timer, hook the fan circuit to a temperature controlled relay. There is no need to run it if the heat is removed quickly on a cold day, yet a warmer day would take more time. Better to simply set the cool-down temp on the sensor and when the engine room temp is above x, the blower would run.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2021, 03:26 PM   #10
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubones99 View Post
Rather than a timer, hook the fan circuit to a temperature controlled relay. There is no need to run it if the heat is removed quickly on a cold day, yet a warmer day would take more time. Better to simply set the cool-down temp on the sensor and when the engine room temp is above x, the blower would run.

Good suggestion. I may do some research on that.

FWIW, No AC on my boat and the genset only gets run twice a day at most, usually for about an hour.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-29-2021, 08:47 AM   #11
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:

Did a little testing. I've got 2 250 CFM blowers (one blow and one suck).

Seems that running them underway reduces the ER temp about 5 degrees. Similar results running them after shutdown - though the temp rises again if they're turned off until the heat sinks in the ER have a chance to cool, which takes a number of hours.

Also found out the Jabsco blowers I have include the following caveat: "It should be noted that the maximum motor life is approximately 1000 hours. Therefore, the blower should only be used for applications if this length of service is acceptable."
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2021, 10:29 AM   #12
Guru

Quote:
Did a little testing. I've got 2 250 CFM blowers (one blow and one suck).

Seems that running them underway reduces the ER temp about 5 degrees. Similar results running them after shutdown - though the temp rises again if they're turned off until the heat sinks in the ER have a chance to cool, which takes a number of hours.

Also found out the Jabsco blowers I have include the following caveat: "It should be noted that the maximum motor life is approximately 1000 hours. Therefore, the blower should only be used for applications if this length of service is acceptable."

Thanks for the info. I have been concerned about fan motor life. The ER blowers in my boat were likely designed for evacuating an ER before starting a gas power engine. Not terribly useful on a diesel boat. I’d rather have a fan that was designed to run for long periods.

Dave
SPOT page
Old 06-29-2021, 12:58 PM   #13

City: New Orleans
Vessel Name: Stella
Vessel Model: Seaton 56
Engine room heat and ventilation thread:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ion-58355.html
DCDC is offline   Reply With Quote