View Poll Results: How do you use your Mainship 34 classic?
Live Aboard 0 0%
Partial Live Aboard 5 50.00%
Weekender/Occasional camping 3 30.00%
Day trips 2 20.00%
Fishing 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2018, 05:21 PM   #1

City: tallahassee
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34
How do you use your "classic" Mainship 34?

The MK1-2-3 are much different in size and layout so this mostly applies to that(Love the 390).

I know it's not common but I use mine as a day tripper for the most part. Taking quite a few people to the sandbar/island hopping for the day, Grilling, hanging out, Etc.

I've only stayed on the hook twice in a year but do spend the night there maybe once a month.

Great all around boat with many uses.
Mrwesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:28 PM   #2
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
This is a really strange poll, and if I were being uncharitable (and I am) I would say, why do it? You could change the name from Mainship to a dozen other boats and get more or less the same results if the sample size was large enough.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:36 PM   #3
Guru

City: Baltimore
Vessel Name: Sea life
Vessel Model: Krogen 42 #61
We did 2000hrs in 5yrs. One season was Baltimore to Kew West and back. Good starter boat. Affordable to try the lifestyle....

www.caribbeansealife.com
Sealife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 05:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
This is a really strange poll, and if I were being uncharitable (and I am) I would say, why do it? You could change the name from Mainship to a dozen other boats and get more or less the same results if the sample size was large enough.

David
Don't get defensive...

Out of all the nonsense that goes on around here you think how someone uses their boat is useless info?
Old 08-08-2018, 06:31 PM   #5
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
Don't get defensive...

Out of all the nonsense that goes on around here you think how someone uses their boat is useless info?

You are right. Lots of other nonsense to worry about here.

David
DavidM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 06:32 PM   #6
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
David, do you need some more fiber in your diet?
You know the saying. If you can't say anything nice...
Old 08-08-2018, 06:48 PM   #7
Guru

Wesson, we mostly use ours for water skiing and such. Anything faster than 20-25 knots and the wife gets scared so the 160 Perkins is good for that.

It seems like all we use ours for lately is to take up any free time we have. Right now it's on the hard undergoing phase II of the rebuild. All new decks. Not the scope of repairs we went through last year, though. Hopefully it'll be done by summers end then we're going to do overnighters/weekends this fall, a little more extended cruising of the Chesapeake ,NC & perhaps Delaware/South Jersey next year. Our primary goal will be north Florida for the winter of 2020. We chose this boat because it's a good fit for a cruising couple with room to entertain friends for a day. Plus it's budget friendly.
Old 08-09-2018, 06:41 AM   #8
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrwesson View Post
The MK1-2-3 are much different in size and layout so this mostly applies to that(Love the 390).

I know it's not common but I use mine as a day tripper for the most part. Taking quite a few people to the sandbar/island hopping for the day, Grilling, hanging out, Etc.

I've only stayed on the hook twice in a year but do spend the night there maybe once a month.

Great all around boat with many uses.

Our boat usage has evolved over time, not unexpectedly, given other demands that we had then versus now...

When we had our '87 Mk III in the early '90s we used it for weekends, often hopping to local destination marinas but also often anchoring out... and then we also tried to do a longer trip each year.

These days, we'd probably be on it 70-80% more than back then, and some of our usage would maybe fall into a "cruiser" category, a 4-5 month trip to somewhere and back.

The boat we have now is better suited to that, and we don't have the ladder to deal with now... but the Mainship could have worked. Not unique, in that...

-Chris
Old 08-09-2018, 10:09 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
Wesson, we mostly use ours for water skiing and such. Anything faster than 20-25 knots and the wife gets scared so the 160 Perkins is good for that.

It seems like all we use ours for lately is to take up any free time we have. Right now it's on the hard undergoing phase II of the rebuild. All new decks. Not the scope of repairs we went through last year, though. Hopefully it'll be done by summers end then we're going to do overnighters/weekends this fall, a little more extended cruising of the Chesapeake ,NC & perhaps Delaware/South Jersey next year. Our primary goal will be north Florida for the winter of 2020. We chose this boat because it's a good fit for a cruising couple with room to entertain friends for a day. Plus it's budget friendly.

I hear you. I would say I spend 50% of my free time "working" on mine and sometimes getting frustrated until I look up what a new boat in this size would cost.. Then it's worth my time.
Old 08-09-2018, 11:16 AM   #10
Guru

City: South Florida
It is SO appropriate that you misspelled Key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sealife View Post
We did 2000hrs in 5yrs. One season was Baltimore to Kew West and back. Good starter boat. Affordable to try the lifestyle....
Keysdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #11
Guru

I owned one for 14 years and none of the poll choices apply.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 08:47 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
I didn't vote because I'm not clear on the meaning of 'Weekend/Camping', and because with a 350 Trawler, though in the same class, isn't invited to participate in the poll based on the stringent guidelines

We use ours for weekends and vacations from 1 - 2 weeks. Though we took a 26 trip this year, which is uncommon. However, I wouldn't call it 'camping'.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
Charter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I didn't vote because I'm not clear on the meaning of 'Weekend/Camping', and because with a 350 Trawler, though in the same class, isn't invited to participate in the poll based on the stringent guidelines

We use ours for weekends and vacations from 1 - 2 weeks. Though we took a 26 trip this year, which is uncommon. However, I wouldn't call it 'camping'.
Weekend camping would be staying on the boat for the weekend either at the marina or close enough to get back for work on Monday.

I've been aboard the 350/390 and it's a much roomier boat. I would and could live on one with my wife and no pets and I wouldn't even consider living on my MK1.

Take the compliment
Old 08-10-2018, 11:18 AM   #14
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleonard View Post
No, never a charter.
We used it for our weekend and vacation destination for 14 seasons.

Normal weekends or 3 day weekends we would stay local, Block Island, Sag Harbor, Coecles harbor, etc.

Vacations were either 2 or 3 weeks and we would venture farther, Martha's Vineyard, Plymouth, Ma, Erie canal, Chesapeake Bay, Narragansett Bay, etc.
jleonard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #15
Veteran Member

City: East Greenwich
Usage for our MS I is "local" overnights pretty much every weekend mostly moorings and anchoring in spots around Narragansett Bay RI (heavy dose of Newport last few years), try and do a full week/10 day vacation trip to BI, Cuttyhunk, ect. Nothing to far but we are on it quite a bit from early June into October.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:31 PM   #16
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I travel on mine. It doesn't have a permanent home. Wintered southern Lake Michigan 2015/16, traveled 2200 nm 2016, wintered on Lake Erie, then 1200 mn 2017 and wintered on Lake Ontario. Have been through four great lakes and several times through the Erie and Rideau waterways. I launched a couple of weeks ago and am now on the Trent Severn headed north through Georgian Bay to Chicago then south from there this fall. I have a generator and extra water tankage and am solo with occasional guests. Carry a RIB and a bicycle for local excursions. Generally I avoid marinas. Boat works pretty well for me as an aspiring looper on a budget.

Not sure how to vote. Not really full time liveaboard as I have a home in southern Ontario, but not there much when my boat's afloat.

The PO of my boat followed a similar pattern, traveling 7000 miles around the great lakes in seven seasons. Boat's been on the move for ten years and going strong.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:19 PM   #17
Guru

Jeff, I don't want to derail this thread but I'd like to hear your views regarding the shortcomings and positive aspects of your boat as you are someone who obviously spends more time aboard than most.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:56 AM   #18

City: North Kingstown, RI
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 III
How do you use your "classic" Mainship 34?

We can’t seem to use ours enough, due to the wife’s health concerns, work or other obligations. We do as many weekends as we can at anchor or mooring. 3-4 days at Block Island in September happened every year except last year. This year we did do an extended cruise to BI and then to Montauk with friends, each on our own boat. A Cuttyhunk cruise got rained out.
My only dislike is the v berth. Too narrow and uncomfortable for me.
It’s hard for me to get over 100 hours on my Perkins in a season as much as I try.
I would love to upgrade to a 34T, 350/390 or even a 400 but I don’t think it will happen.
slowandsteady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

City: Jefferson Ma.
Vessel Name: Anegada da Vida
Vessel Model: 1979 Mainship 34 mk1
For the first two years we used it for weekends around Narragansett bay and occasional week long trips down to Connecticut or out to Long island. Then we sold everything and lived aboard for almost a year while bringing it down to Punta Gorda Florida. Now we are back to weekends and longer trips in this area. We are hoping for a longer trip to the Bahamas or the Keys next spring.
jdud133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #20
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
Jeff, I don't want to derail this thread but I'd like to hear your views regarding the shortcomings and positive aspects of your boat as you are someone who obviously spends more time aboard than most.
Not sure I have much to offer as my previous experience voyaging and living aboard has all been in sailboats. I'm learning as I go :-)

There is a tremendous knowledge base on these boats here, on the Yahoo owners group, and on owners blogs. Some of the contributors are here. I benefitted a lot from that material. I was looking for an efficient displacement speed boat that I could handle and maintain myself and that would be suitable for economic voyaging in sheltered waters. Not disappointed in any way with this boat. Interior is pretty dated, but I don't care. It's a palace compared to other boats I've had.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote