Head smell every time Vacu Flush is used...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sorry, I’m still trying to learn how these threads work. Appreciate your response.

Just a thought based on nothing.
Make sure your sanitary tank is clear.

And btw... Despite Dometic/SeaLand's claim to the contrary, 1 pint of water is not nearly enough to rinse waste out of the hoses and pump. At least 90% of VacuFlush problems are a result of using too little water.

Always leave the pedal down at least 3 full seconds following urine only...always add about half a bowl of water ahead of solid waste and leave the pedal down 7-10 seconds to rinse the system behind the flush.

I've written piece I call "VacuFlush 101" that explains how the system works (an amazing number of owners think they know, but don't) and how to prevent problems. If you'll send me a PM that includes your email address (no way to attach anything to a PM), I'll send it to you (and to anyone else who'd like to have it.).

--Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein

Hi Peggi, could you please send me a copy of Vacu Flush 101. My address is irruoak@gmail.com
Thank you

I think he was asking for her Vacuflush 101. But her Boat Smells book is great for all things smelly on a boat.

I think he was asking for her Vacuflush 101. But her Boat Smells book is great for all things smelly on a boat.

I can attach a copy of "VacuFlush 101" to an email at the address he provided, and while he should find it useful, it's not gonna solve his odor problem. Although I'd love it if he bought my book (see link in my signature...just click on the title), it's not necessary 'cuz I'm pretty sure I can solve it once I have the answers to the questions I'll include in the email.

--Peggie

Last edited:
Peggy and her book ruined my life for a 5 day marathon "find and kill the bad smells crusade..:)

Highly recommended! Do not own a boat without her book!

For me it was, mold/mildew in a massive forepeak, foul sewer system (3 vacuum-flush heads, two holding tanks) and a few body contorting, wickedly inaccessible cess-pools in the deep bilge (smelled just like the holding tanks.)

Thanks Peggy you're the bomb!

Last edited:
UPDATE:

All, thank you for all the suggestions. I found a "small" worker that was able to get down into that floor hatch at the lower helm. We located the vent tube from the holding tank, it was not blocked. There was no filter installed, so I installed the Dometic ECO filter and dated the install. Almost immediately the foul smell disappeared.
The whole process took less that 20 mins to install and eliminated all the foul smells. I like simple solutions to boat issues...

I'm curious . Is your tank vent terminated inside the boat?

Typically they are terminated through the hull our house of the boat.

USCG regs REQUIRE all waste tanks to be vented to the outside of the boat because the gasses generated in anaerobic conditions--sulfur dioxide, hydrogen sulfide (the stinky ones)--are toxic, and methane (which is odorless) is flammable.

Y'all do realize that you're replying to a 3 yr old thread...

--Peggie

And btw... Despite Dometic/SeaLand's claim to the contrary, 1 pint of water is not nearly enough to rinse waste out of the hoses and pump. At least 90% of VacuFlush problems are a result of using too little water.
Thanks, Peggy! It's about time someone points that out but I have been doing what you just wrote for years with absolutely no smell in the head.:dance:

It’s an old thread of a timeless subject?

Thanks, Peggy! It's about time someone points that out but I have been doing what you just wrote for years with absolutely no smell in the head.:dance:
I've been writing about it for years, as all those who've requested and received my article "VacuFlush 101" will attest. I'll be glad to send you (and anyone else who wants it) a copy to share with others who need it if you want to send me a PM that includes your email address (no way to attach anything to a PM).

Fwiw, VF was the toilet on my last two boats and I was a dealer for nearly 10 years, so I'm intimately acquainted with it.

--Peggie

I, as most people here know, am not a big fan of Vacuflush heads. However we have made an offer on a Formula 41PC, after making offers on a 34PC and a 36PC. They all have Vacuflush heads in them, ugh. I guess I will have to learn to live with it or replace it with a Marine Elegance. Other things have a higher priority though.

USCG regs REQUIRE all waste tanks to be vented to the outside of the boat because the gasses generated in anaerobic conditions--sulfur dioxide, hydrogen sulfide (the stinky ones)--are toxic, and methane (which is odorless) is flammable.

Right. But the original complaint was that there was a foul odor in the head which to me implies that the vent line is open inside the boat. Usually people complain of a foul odor outside the boat wafting in when the head is flushed.
:)

I had 2 electric heads with aux handle for those "just incase" moments, on my N46. They were pretty good. No complaints, once I replace the 90 degree with 2 45s in the sanitary line.

We just went through this foul-smell-in-the-boat issue with our aft Vacuflush (w/the vacuum generator in the adjacent engine room). Turned out to be a failed bellows. Ordered a new bellows/pump motor replacement kit from Fisheries Supply, and away went the stinky problem. Pretty easy remove and replace. Plus they claim 50% less noise and better flow with the new pump motor. It actually is a bit quieter…

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom