Gelcoat or Awlgrip

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cyn143srog

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Cara Mia
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 Rumrunner
Hello, I have a 2005 MS Rumrunner 34 ft with a yellow hull. The hull need polish, I'm not sure what I should use. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thank You
Roger

What is the hull finished in paint ? what sort of paint or is it gelcoat ? and what condition is it ?

Not sure if it's gel coat or Awlgrip, hull is in good condition, but could us some wax, no sure what to use.

First you have to KNOW whether it's gelcoat or paint. If its a stock Mainship my guess is gel. But you need to know for sure.

First you have to KNOW whether it's gelcoat or paint. If its a stock Mainship my guess is gel. But you need to know for sure.

And if it's Awlgrip you do not wax.

And other paints such as Alexseal have their own rules.

And if it's Awlgrip you do not wax.
:confused: My dive boat has gets waxed every Spring. The Awlgrip is 12 years old from the gunnel up and 5 years old on the hull. They even offer their own wax / coating Awlcare. Think we're using Collonite on the boat now.

Ted

If it is a painted hull, Mainship used Awlcraft 2000 paint. I think the color was fighting lady yellow. I don't know if it is gelcoat. They did paint their claret red, green, and flag blue hulls. Awlcraft is a completely different product that Awlgrip. Same company.

:confused: My dive boat has gets waxed every Spring. The Awlgrip is 12 years old from the gunnel up and 5 years old on the hull. They even offer their own wax / coating Awlcare. Think we're using Collonite on the boat now.

Ted

Awlcare is a protective polymer sealer.

The instructions are different for Awlcraft 2000. Here are the instructions from Awlgrip.

Do Not:
Do not wax.

General:
Wax build up ages and yellows very rapidly, creating the need to maintain the wax and causing the topcoat to appear yellow. Wax build up also collects dirt, increasing maintenance.

Awlgrip Only:
Waxing with a wax which contains no abrasives or cleaners will probably not hurt the surface, but at the same time offers no benefit. Regular waxing will not increase the life of an Awlgrip Finish. Wax can temporarily restore the gloss to small scuffs, scrapes, scratches. Sometimes allowing the postponement of repairs or repairing until a convenient time.

Awlcraft 2000 Only:
Waxing will help maintain the gloss on Awlcraft 2000 finishes, especially those which have been buffed or polished. Remember waxing leads to having to maintain the wax. Do not wax areas unless they are dull or hazed.

And here's the link to their care page:

Topcoat Maintenance

If it is a painted hull, Mainship used Awlcraft 2000 paint. I think the color was fighting lady yellow. I don't know if it is gelcoat. They did paint their claret red, green, and flag blue hulls. Awlcraft is a completely different product that Awlgrip. Same company.

Yes, with different care instructions.

Not sure if it's gel coat or Awlgrip, hull is in good condition, but could us some wax, no sure what to use.

I would not hesitate to wax your hull regardless if it's paint or gel-coat and the orginal finish. You won't hurt it at 10 years old. I would be carfefull if you use and electric buffer though. You don't want to go through the finish. Colinite as OCDiver mentioned, will work well. I asked a local boat detailor a few years ago and it was his first choice. We use it on areas on Hobo with great results.

My last boat had a painted hull. I used the Awlcare product recommended by the manufacturers of Awlgrip. Awlcare goes on easily and buffs off easily and lasts a season.

My current boat is gelcoat and gets a coat of Collinite every season.

I would not hesitate to wax your hull regardless if it's paint or gel-coat and the orginal finish. You won't hurt it at 10 years old. I would be carfefull if you use and electric buffer though. You don't want to go through the finish. Colinite as OCDiver mentioned, will work well. I asked a local boat detailor a few years ago and it was his first choice. We use it on areas on Hobo with great results.

Many I know in the business favor Collinite products.

I would not hesitate to wax your hull regardless if it's paint or gel-coat and the orginal finish. You won't hurt it at 10 years old.
I agree! My old boat was "paint" and got waxed every year.

Attachments

• IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 105
I agree! My old boat was "paint" and got waxed every year.

The answers against waxing were referring specifically to one product only, Awlgrip. It's the only paint I am aware of that says not to wax.

The answers against waxing were referring specifically to one product only, Awlgrip. It's the only paint I am aware of that says not to wax.

I can certainly understand that Awlgrip wants you to use their product (awlcare), and there are cheap waxes that will yellow, but quality wax isn't a problem. If you don't wax or awlcare, the finish oxidizes to the point that compounding only marginally brings it back. In my experience, the Collonite holds up better to sun and salt, and Sean says it's easier and faster to apply.

Ted

Thank all for the information it is greatly appreciated. I picked up some colinite today. Thank You again for your input.

Roger

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom