Old 11-29-2020, 08:14 AM   #1

City: Nashville
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Fresh Water Plumbing

I have a 2001 Mainship 390.
Can someone tell me what the fresh water plumbing is made of and where to buy connectors ? It is clear hose/pipe. I have a cracked 90 degree fitting where one would connect a hose from shore to the fresh water system. I want to have the replacement in hand when I start to try to access it.

Thanks,

Hawk
Hawkshaw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:38 AM   #2
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
Doesn't sound like a factory plumbing job. Try a big box store.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:44 AM   #3

Its the same material throughout the boat. Its not clear but more translucent.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:27 AM   #4

City: green cove springs
Vessel Name: GEM
Vessel Model: Mainship Pilot 34
i was told they were PEX but i'm not sure that is true. i did buy a bunch of the end fittings but i don't remember/have any record of where. they are a type of flare. i don't find them easy to work with compared to whale.

take a look at this. may not be exact but i think it's close.

https://www.grainger.com/category/pl...&filters=attrs
Old 11-29-2020, 09:57 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
You will need to know the size tubing and then Shark Bite will most likely have something that will work.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 09:19 PM   #6

City: Watts Bar Lake, Tn River
Vessel Name: RedBoat
Vessel Model: MS 34T
My 2005 34T has 9mm PEX; all push fit connections. Impossible to find in the US except ebay/amazon. Get a 1/2" PEX push fit fitting from a big box. If it won't quite fit, then you know...
Old 11-30-2020, 08:41 AM   #7

City: Narragansett Bay
Vessel Name: EPIC
Vessel Model: 43' Ocean Super Sport
Sounds like pex tubing. You need to know the size of the tubing. Then check out Watts-Aqua Lock fittings. Good website with lots of options. Other option would be Whale. If it's standard CTS sizing, Shark-Bite will have fittings too.
Prospective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:08 AM   #8
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Hawk
Here you go...
https://www.defender.com/category.js...585&id=2243592
Just be sure to order the correct size. Should be marked on the tubing and I'll bet it is 15mm. PEX fittings will work but you will only find them in English sizes not metric... same w/ Sharkbite. I doubt very much it is a flare ftg.

Best guess attached pic from the MS parts file

Order a couple spares as that one especially is prone to leaking - the nut that screws onto 1/2" MPT cracks from over tightening... replaced several myself.

[EDIT] SeaTech is now Agualock
https://www.watts.com/aqualock-marine
Attached Thumbnails
Ftg.jpeg  
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 09:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Hawk
Here you go...
Just be sure to order the correct size. Should be marked on the tubing and I'll bet it is 15mm. PEX fittings will work but you will only find them in English sizes not metric... same w/ Sharkbite. I doubt very much it is a flare ftg.

Best guess attached pic from the MS parts file.
This seems to come up a lot. Just to prevent confusion, PEX is a material, not a brand name. It comes in standard CTS sizes as well as metric (and probably a bunch of others). Shark-bite comes in standard CTS sizes. The Whale is metric. The Watts-Aqua Lock (formerly Sea Tech) comes in both. But all are suitable for PEX as well as other materials in the correct size.

Like the OP, my tubing is translucent PEX. Mine is 3/8 CTS. Key is to find your proper tubing size (mine is not printed on the tubing). Once you know your size you can find your options.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:46 AM   #10

prospective, great explanation.

tubing on our pilot is smaller than 15mm. we have that on another boat. 3/8" sounds more like it. you jogged my memory, sea-tech was where i got extra fittings.

the fittings on our pilot had a collar and a threaded flare that was inserted into the tubing and then the collar was screwed down. they are definitely not the whale press on type fittings, at least not on our boat. going forward, i'll convert as needed.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:53 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duetto View Post
prospective, great explanation.

tubing on our pilot is smaller than 15mm. we have that on another boat. 3/8" sounds more like it. you jogged my memory, sea-tech was where i got extra fittings.

the fittings on our pilot had a collar and a threaded flare that was inserted into the tubing and then the collar was screwed down. they are definitely not the whale press on type fittings, at least not on our boat. going forward, i'll convert as needed.
I've spent enough time on this to make my eyes bleed. The name of that old style fitting with the collar and flare escapes me. It's exactly what I have on my boat. Mine are gray and come in multiple sizes. I did figure out what they were at some point and confirmed that they're not made any more. Once I determined my tubing size was 3/8, I've had success with Watts, John Guest, and Shark-bite. There are not as many types of fittings in 3/8 as 1/2. But there's a great selection if you go to the Watts-Aqua Lock web page. Pretty easy to search.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:11 AM   #12
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospective View Post
This seems to come up a lot. Just to prevent confusion, PEX is a material, not a brand name. It comes in standard CTS sizes as well as metric (and probably a bunch of others). Shark-bite comes in standard CTS sizes. The Whale is metric. The Watts-Aqua Lock (formerly Sea Tech) comes in both. But all are suitable for PEX as well as other materials in the correct size.

Like the OP, my tubing is translucent PEX. Mine is 3/8 CTS. Key is to find your proper tubing size (mine is not printed on the tubing). Once you know your size you can find your options.
Sorry I wasn't clearer... what I really meant was you are not likely to find PEX tube or ftgs in metric sizes in any local / big box stores. I have always had to get them from a marine store of online.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 11:20 AM   #13
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I found the fitting on my 2005 Pilot II to be SeaTech, and I was able to buy fittings under that name two years ago. Good to know the name change to Aqualock. My PEX tubing is 15 mm.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:09 PM   #14
TF Site Team

City: Westerly, RI
Vessel Name: N/A
Vessel Model: 1999 Mainship 350 Trawler
My 1999 350 is 3/8" ID using the older style compression fittings. These seem impossible to find. They measure 1/2"OD, but it's not exact, so standard 1/2" push on fittings will not seal properly.

The size should be printed somewhere on the water line itself. It might be tricky to locate.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 12:12 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Hawk
Here you go...

Best guess attached pic from the MS parts file

Order a couple spares as that one especially is prone to leaking - the nut that screws onto 1/2" MPT cracks from over tightening... replaced several myself.

[EDIT] SeaTech is now Agualock
https://www.watts.com/aqualock-marine
That's exactly what happened. The nut/cap broke where it attaches to the pressure regulator.
I traced the piping this morning. It's FLEXPEX 1/2 IN SDR9 PEX-a

The spec sheet for the regulator states the regulator has 1/2 " MPT (Male Pipe Thread) so maybe I have get a shark bite that will work. Luck my wife's had will fit in the hole!

Hawk
Old 11-30-2020, 02:08 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
My 1999 350 is 3/8" ID using the older style compression fittings. These seem impossible to find. They measure 1/2"OD, but it's not exact, so standard 1/2" push on fittings will not seal properly.

The size should be printed somewhere on the water line itself. It might be tricky to locate.
Mine was the same style and is 3/8 ID as well. I've been able to find shark-bites in that size at lowes and home depot in limited styles, ie.. elbow, straight, tee. Watts/Aqua Lock has a huge assortment of 3/8 fittings including adapters and shut-offs as well.
Old 12-01-2020, 11:11 AM   #17

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw1 View Post
I have a 2001 Mainship 390.
Can someone tell me what the fresh water plumbing is made of and where to buy connectors ? It is clear hose/pipe. I have a cracked 90 degree fitting where one would connect a hose from shore to the fresh water system. I want to have the replacement in hand when I start to try to access it.

Thanks,

Hawk
The fittings and Pipe installed from Factory is blue (Cold) Red (Hot) and black Fittings it is Sea Tech 15mm and cannot be mixed with 1/2 inch from a big box.
https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/inde...36|10692|11370
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 11:05 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartouche View Post
The fittings and Pipe installed from Factory is blue (Cold) Red (Hot) and black Fittings it is Sea Tech 15mm and cannot be mixed with 1/2 inch from a big box.
https://www.marineoutfitters.ca/inde...36|10692|11370
I think Mainship must have made frequent production and supply changes. Mine is all 1/2 Pex. I don't have any red or blue pipe. I wish it did.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:41 AM   #19

City: Kingston Ontario
Vessel Name: On The EdJ
Vessel Model: Former 390 owner now Sundancer 380
Makes sense yours is not made by the same people it's newer than ours built by Mainship. sorry think yours was built bt Marlow
Cartouche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 06:20 AM   #20

cartouche,

i don't think marlowe has anything to do with this. our 2003 pilot has the exact same semi-clear tubing. i think mainship was always looking for the lowest cost supplier and they shifted back and forth.