Old 08-29-2020, 08:44 AM   #41
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
I like the waste tank gauge in the head which allows me to be proactive in preventing waste getting into the vent line and causing a clog.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 09:12 AM   #42
Guru

City: Spartanburg, SC
Vessel Name: Big Duck
Vessel Model: '72 Land-N-Sea
Despite her title, Peggy is a classy lady. Here's a true story.

Back in the day before Facebook, we had 'Newsgroups' which were text only. One day there was a post about a boat get-together on Lake Lanier in GA. I went - there was 6 or 7 other boats, one of which was named Solitare, piloted by a lone Peggy. I think the boat had twin Chryslers, but Peggy will probably correct me. Anyway, we all rafted in a cove overnight.

Peggy fixed us Mimosas before breakfast the next morning, then called her Yacht Club chef to get the proper recipe for Eggs Benedict. While Peggy was fixing the eggs, we noticed an oil sheen on the water. Thinking someone's bilge pump had come on we all checked our bilges to see if we were the culprit. With everyone exclaiming, "Not Me", we further investigated. It turned out that the fellow who was barbecuing bacon off his stern had overflowed the drip pan. The sheen was bacon grease!

I may not remember the details correctly, but I'll never forget that cruise.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 10:42 AM   #43
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgano View Post
I like the waste tank gauge in the head which allows me to be proactive in preventing waste getting into the vent line and causing a clog.
Now I will be haunted by the image of someone (no names, please) sitting there, seeing the gauge move into the RED, realizing what is causing it to move and knowing there is absolutely nothing she/he can do about it!
Old 08-29-2020, 10:47 AM   #44
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by koliver View Post
Now I will be haunted by the image of someone (no names, please) sitting there, seeing the gauge move into the RED, realizing what is causing it to move and knowing there is absolutely nothing she/he can do about it!
I know - funny to think of it. But I keep an eye on it after the half full point and make sure that there is plenty of capacity left before any unknowledgeable person enters the head.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 01:15 PM   #45
Guru

City: Newport, R.I.
Vessel Name: Hippocampus
Vessel Model: Nordic Tug 42
Can’t say enough about using ultrasound instead of floats for determining tank levels. Have used the Philip monitoring system for fuel, water and waste. It’s been flawless going on 7 years.

Shouldn’t complain about waste. Many parts of the world now have requirements on how you handle grey water as well.

Think some of this is ridiculous. Makes perfect sense where there’s little or inadequate water exchange or you’re near shellfishing areas. But urine is sterile and e.coli/other coliforms die in short order If I pee from the deck it’s legal but down below it’s not. Silly. Still, always follow this law. Guess too many people would violate the law if it wasn’t one size fits all. Not accounted for in the stickers you must post we also save our empty coolant and engine oil cans. Many of the cleaning fluids and household chemicals and such you use are quite toxic to sea life. We don’t just pour them down the head or a drain but funnel them into those containers to bring ashore.
Hippocampus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:35 AM   #46
Veteran Member

City: Pine Knoll Shores, NC
Vessel Name: Hail Mary
Vessel Model: Sterling Yachts Atlantic 45
The book is the Bible of waste and odors

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadMistress View Post
Not quite. There is no macerator in a Vacu Flush system. The sewage does get broken down somewhat by the force of the vacumn as it forces it through the system into the holding tank.

True. There's no macerator in manual toilets either...but it doesn't matter because solid waste is 75% water anyway, plus it gets broken up going through manual toilets and VFs, so it dissolves very quickly in the tank...and so does quick-dissolve TP. All of which makes maceration, whether in the toilet or the overboard discharge pump totally, unnecessary except in the those rare occasions when the tank might be dumped with an hour or less after solids and TP land in the tank.

At the risk of being accused of "selling" it, y'all really do NEED my book!

--Peggie
Yes Peggie, you are correct. Your book is full of useful ideas that work. Iíve been treating my waste tank as instructed and cleaning my bilge as instructed. No problems, no smells. Thanks for your work to help us.
pattormey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:16 AM   #47
Guru

City: AR
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post

Back in the day before Facebook, we had 'Newsgroups' which were text only. One day there was a post about a boat get-together on Lake Lanier in GA. I went - there was 6 or 7 other boats, one of which was named Solitare, piloted by a lone Peggy. I think the boat had twin Chryslers, but Peggy will probably correct me. Anyway, we all rafted in a cove overnight. Peggy fixed us Mimosas before breakfast the next morning, then called her Yacht Club chef to get the proper recipe for Eggs Benedict. While Peggy was fixing the eggs, we noticed an oil sheen on the water. Thinking someone's bilge pump had come on we all checked our bilges to see if we were the culprit. With everyone exclaiming, "Not Me", we further investigated. It turned out that the fellow who was barbecuing bacon off his stern had overflowed the drip pan. The sheen was bacon grease! I may not remember the details correctly, but I'll never forget that cruise.

You have an amazing memory Jeff! That was a fun weekend...and you got 99% of the details right. Yes, my engines were Chrysler 318s...and I also had an 6.5Kw Onan generator that was running to power my stove where I was making Hollandaise sauce while several of you were cooking bacon on MY grill, which overhung my teak swim platform. One of you stuck your head into the cabin and said, "we need to check you generator when we get back to the club...there's a huge oil slick behind your boat!" My immediate reaction was OMG and I ran to the cockpit to see what he was talking about...then started to laugh. "That's not engine oil, it's BACON FAT!" It was not only in the water, it was all over that half of my swim platform...and turned out be superior to any teak oil on the planet...It lasted the rest of the summer!

I also recall that we had to serve the eggs benedict on toast rounded up from every boat who had sliced bread aboard 'cuz the person charged with bringing the English muffins didn't know what English muffins are and brought bran muffins!

SOLITAIRE was a Trojan F32 that I bought from an estate and restored...she was still a work in progress when this picture was taken. She was the committee boat for most club races and several regattas my YC sponsored.

--Peggie
Attached Thumbnails
Solitaire.JPG  
HeadMistress is offline   Reply With Quote