Electric Solenoid Valve - Holding Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamieM

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Foto
Vessel Make
Mainship Pilot 34
My 2002 Pilot 34 has a big red sticker on a bulkhead saying that the seacock for the holding tank must be kept closed when the boat is moving. I assume this is to keep seawater from being forced into the holding tank and perhaps over pressuring it and causing a leak. However, the seacock is located ahead of the engine on the port side. I really don’t enjoy crawling up there every time I need to open or close this valve. Is there any reason why I can’t install an electric solenoid valve before the seacock so I could control the valve from the electrical panel? Seems to make sense to me. The seacock would remain in place in case of emergency.

Thoughts?

Jamie Morrison
2002 Pilot 34 “Foto”
Halifax, Nova Scotia

Hey Solly, that looks like what I am looking for. I’ll check it out and post my findings here.

Jamie

OMG Soon we can go boating through and app and never have to leave home.

Are you sure that it’s not just to prevent discharge in protected waters?

You could install another valve in an easier to access location and leave the seacock open.
If you have Y valve that too can block the water from coming in. They must be locked in the no discharge position anyway except well offshore.

I also wonder if that sticker is a no discharge notice. Is the notice original or added by an owner? Was the boat ever in charter service??

I have never heard of water pushing into the tank. Is the tank very low below the WL? You dont have a scoop instead of a mushroom do you?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom