Old 04-09-2017, 09:22 AM   #81
Art
Guru

City: SF Bay Area
Vessel Model: Tollycraft 34' Tri Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Art...bigger decision is Wifi or hard wired.

I bought a cheap $13 camera, 720, IR, with a narrow view versus wide.

I turned it into an underwater camera by sticking it in some PVC pipe. Worked great in the Keys, too murky elsewhere so on the trip home put it looking at the front of my engine.

With my Lehman setup, if I get even a tiny drip leak from anything...it comes to the front of the drip pan and I can see it, if the belt gets loose I can see it, if there is smoke or mist....maybe...so many worries that can start small I might see right away. I do have pretty bright led strip lights in the ER, but the picture is black and white so the IR lights may be in play too (when I open the hatch, it does turn to color.

So whatever camera you feel you can hookup is probably OK, just make sure the field of view will work for where you are mounting it. Going to 1080 resolution may only help if I had a bigger screen.

For screen I had 3 options. My TV, my raymarine mfd or the cheapo backup camera monitor I got from ebay.
Thanks! ps
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #82
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48
During the years we've owned our vessel there have been some interesting issues that were only found with routine ER checks with engines running at higher cruise RPM. No pre check or after check would have found them.

- A leaking O ring on the after cooler. Fresh water too which was puzzling, turned out to be condensate but dripping onto wiring loom connections.

- Hot spot on water lift muffler that indicated debris in mixing elbow.

- Drip from coolant pump that evaporated before it fell to bilge indicating an incipient pump failure.

- Similar beginning drips from raw water pumps.

- Shaft seal misting indicating required adjustment.

- Bad O ring on a fuel return line check valve

- Stabilizer hydraulic hoses needing improved tie downs.

Any of the above would have resulted in an unplanned shutdown whereas all were fixed at my convenience while vessel docked. I spent a lifetime working in very large industrial complexes where the hundreds if not thousands of failure points could only be seen by visual walk around inspections. It is an ingrained way of life for many of us.

When I am no longer able to take the extra 15 seconds that is required to get to the ER from the FB versus the lower helm, I will sell the boat to a younger more nimble skipper.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:37 AM   #83
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
Scott st al

We have five cameras, one for backing into a slip and others in the engine room facing what could be problem areas . I can display all on the Garmin screen one at a time to check problems. They are all hard wired.

It's nice to see the engines without having to get in a hot noisy bilge!
Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:40 AM   #84
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
This boat would be a nice PNW boat... raised pilothouse with no FB, or a complete covered FB, depending on how you look at it. Of course, I am not sure I would want to be that high up on a long run with a quartering sea...

2017 Outer Reef Yachts 860 DBMY Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #85
TF Site Team

City: Chicago, IL
Vessel Name: Bay Pelican
Vessel Model: Krogen 42
Engine room checks. I started boating in the dark ages when cameras had names like Brownie. Installed a port light in the engine room bulkhead so that I could see that there were not flames before I opened a door. I am not paranoid. Murphy is out to get me if I let down my guard.

In 18 years of cruising with Bay Pelican I have spotted while underway, a major oil leak, (lost six quarts before I caught it) a disconnected fresh water hose which drained 200 gallons of fresh water into the bilge, and a disconnected compressor for my stabilizers.
Old 04-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #86

City: Wherever the boat is
Vessel Name: Kismet
I had recently lost my primary bilge pump while underway which resulted in me checking the ER every 30 mins or so during a crossing.. developed a pin leak in a fuel line about 3 hours in.. kinda made me think about making that a habit. cameras would be good, but not sure worth the trouble given the number of angles and lighting you need vs. 10 seconds with a flashlight. or both I suppose, its a boat after all.

(yes, my boat is old.. stuff breaks all the time
kev_rm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #87
Guru

City: Italy
Vessel Name: Didi Mau
Vessel Model: Currently looking for next boat
I doubt that my cameras would catch many of the problems listed here. With the lights off, I only see a grainy picture illuminated by the camera's IR lights. I would probably catch smoke and a major leak. Nothing else would probably be identifiable.
Gordon J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 10:27 AM   #88
Art
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon J View Post
I doubt that my cameras would catch many of the problems listed here. With the lights off, I only see a grainy picture illuminated by the camera's IR lights. I would probably catch smoke and a major leak. Nothing else would probably be identifiable.
Guess from what I'm learning is that as well as camera[s] in engine compartment that bright lights are also needed for clear film from cameras??

So, it seems that along with engine compartment camera installation there should also be flood lights installed that can be switched on/off when wanting to see clear depiction on view screen.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:10 AM   #89
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
More light is possibly the answer as well as camera and screen resolution.

My $13 camera sees enough... an oil weep on the side of the engine isn't noticeable, but a drop of oil or fuel into the white gel coat drip pan or onto an oil pad would be.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #90
Art
Guru

Quote:
More light is possibly the answer as well as camera and screen resolution.

My $13 camera sees enough... an oil weep on the side of the engine isn't noticeable, but a drop of oil or fuel into the white gel coat drip pan or onto an oil pad would be.
Planning to research flood light availability and cameras. Hard wire seems the way to go. Should be able to accomplish pretty good system for couple to a few hundred bucks.

Think I'll leave the view screen on salon pilot dashboard only... at least at first. Simple to come off FB for hourly check. That said, to be able to have ten or fifteen minutes check-ups it would be best to have a view screen in each location.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:27 PM   #91
Guru

I am leaning towards 4 Wifi cams....

Probably 2 in engine room, 2 on deck.

Walkaround with tablet.
Old 04-09-2017, 12:47 PM   #92
Art
Guru

Quote:
I am leaning towards 4 Wifi cams....

Probably 2 in engine room, 2 on deck.

Walkaround with tablet.
Could wifi get interrupted? Guess cameras would be hard wired and portable wifi receiver tablet would have rechargeable batt. Or, maybe the tablet plugs into cig lighter at each pilot station?
Old 04-09-2017, 12:53 PM   #93
Guru

City: Joe Wheeler State Park, Al
Vessel Name: Serenity
Vessel Model: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin -1986
I have a 36 Mainship DC (Aft Cabin) model. I have steering stations in the salon and the fly bridge. Just came back from an approx 4,000 mile trip from Houston, Tx. to Knoxville, Tn and return over a little more than a 3 year period. We have never used the lower station in the salon. We have a canvas enclosure with roll-up windows and have driven in 28* F weather and on 95*+ weather and in the rain. Never even tempted to go down below.
I need to have a 360* view all of the time. Some of my time was spent in the Gulf of Mexico but most was on rivers.
I used to be a commercial crew-boat captain running crews and supplies back and forth to the oil rigs in the Gulf. Every boat I was on had an inside steering station, but also had an outside station on the upper aft deck. That was use for steering while loading and unloading personnel and cargo. I worked that station in below freezing and over !00*. When trying to hold the boat steady under a rig or platform while the crane operator is over 100' higher than me on the boat and had an approx 100' boom, and windy as all get up, you have to have full vision. I guess I got used to it.
I would not even think of driving from the inside. Too much boat, barge, freighter, tanker and sailboat traffic going on around here.
Hope that helped. Home port is just off Galveston Bay in Tx.
Old 04-09-2017, 01:56 PM   #94
Guru

WiFi aboard should be OK as I believe it is camera to pad...as long as the cameras have power and sure the pad could be plugged in too.

The pads on very bright screens do hog battery power....but plugging them in almost breaks even in my pads case.
Old 04-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #95
Guru

And I am just the opposite....and have logged more than 4000 miles in 3 years from Jersey to FL in December through May. In my guestimation.... 5 minutes at a top or bottom helm may be enough for some to pick their favorite station, time can be meaningless in the long run.

Plenty of traffic around me and have worked boats in the same grueling conditions and really could care less about being outside....too much of a good thing?

As long as I can see around me, even if I have to lean a bit....really not too worried about getting run over because I am at the lower helm.

Even on 70 degree, light wind, bluebird sky days I can take the flybridge or leave it.

Only in the most tight quarters with bad winds or current do I feel the need to drive from up top for visibility.

So either because of the boat or personal preference can one decide...and even that can change with time.

Unless specific for a boat or person...there is no answer.
Old 04-09-2017, 03:12 PM   #96
Veteran Member

City: Bunnell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony B View Post
I have a 36 Mainship DC (Aft Cabin) model. I have steering stations in the salon and the fly bridge. Just came back from an approx 4,000 mile trip from Houston, Tx. to Knoxville, Tn and return over a little more than a 3 year period. We have never used the lower station in the salon. We have a canvas enclosure with roll-up windows and have driven in 28* F weather and on 95*+ weather and in the rain. Never even tempted to go down below.
I need to have a 360* view all of the time. Some of my time was spent in the Gulf of Mexico but most was on rivers.
I used to be a commercial crew-boat captain running crews and supplies back and forth to the oil rigs in the Gulf. Every boat I was on had an inside steering station, but also had an outside station on the upper aft deck. That was use for steering while loading and unloading personnel and cargo. I worked that station in below freezing and over !00*. When trying to hold the boat steady under a rig or platform while the crane operator is over 100' higher than me on the boat and had an approx 100' boom, and windy as all get up, you have to have full vision. I guess I got used to it.
I would not even think of driving from the inside. Too much boat, barge, freighter, tanker and sailboat traffic going on around here.
Hope that helped. Home port is just off Galveston Bay in Tx.
My wife and I could not agree more. Some of these sport fishes would come up on us so fast, running 30knots, only on the fly bridge, could we have seen them coming, and adjust.
Hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #97
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in Crisfield, MD
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotrod View Post
My wife and I could not agree more. Some of these sport fishes would come up on us so fast, running 30knots, only on the fly bridge, could we have seen them coming, and adjust.
Radar.

When you only go 7 knots like I do, lots of boats come from behind. Lot easier to glance at the radar screen than to remember to look behind you every 30 seconds.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 04:33 PM   #98
Guru

Or rear view mirror, or camera, or radar, or look behind you like on many boats out a back window....

Plus I don't need to do much until I either hear them or see them with peripheral vision.

It's either turn in or out depending on available room...

Still only a preference where to drive from...no absolutes.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:10 PM   #99
Guru

City: Caimanera
Vessel Name: Seafarer
Vessel Model: 1926 56í Winslow RDMY
These are boats not airplanes! FCS it's not going to crash if it craps out! Have a plan and use it.
Old 04-09-2017, 08:19 PM   #100
Guru

City: Sydney
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Cofer View Post
These are boats not airplanes! FCS it's not going to crash if it craps out! Have a plan and use it.

Im with you Bob

I think the problem is too many accountants own boats these days
gaston is offline   Reply With Quote