Old 10-14-2021, 04:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

City: Port Ludlow, WA
Vessel Name: Red Knot
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Drawer Refrigerator for 2006 34 Trawler

I want to replace my front door refrigerator with a drawer type that top loads. A friend had a 2007 34T that came with this type of unit by Vitrifrigo.

I need the model # of the unit.

I need to know the dimensions of the unit.

Also, has anyone installed either this model unit or another one like it?

Thanks.
Harlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 07:25 PM   #2
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Harlen
Our '08 MS 34 HT came with the Vitrifigo model DW 180-2 RF
That is a fridge / fridge unit but they make a variety of combos. There are times we wish we had the fridge / freezer version.
I'll attach the manual which should answer your questions.
They have an option of hooking up a cabinet ventilation fan and I would like to add that as MS didn't provide much ventilation. It just hasn't gotten to the top of my To Do list. If installing new I would absolutely add the fan while you are doing it.
Hope that helps

[EDIT] Manual file too large to attach - if you want PM me your email and I will send it.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #3
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Honest question. What is the appeal of drawer type fridges on boats? I know they are currently popular, and they do look nice, but don't they waste a lot of space? We have a drawer freezer on our home fridge, and even though it has a sliding shelf inside, it is pretty much impossible to organize. Stuff gets buried and we don't find it for months.

I've spent time on sailboats with top loading fridges and though they are efficient, they are a nightmare to work with. The thing you need seems to always be on the bottom. I know drawers are easier to access than a true top load but the concept is the same. If you use most of their capacity the contents are in a pile. You have to leave it open for an extended period of time while you dig through it looking for what you need which wastes power.

I think they would be sleek looking, modern and great on a day boat where you are only keeping a few snacks and some drinks onboard, but for for a working galley made for extended cruising?

Is there something that I am missing?
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 05:30 AM   #4
Guru

City: Newark, DE
Vessel Name: Infinity
Vessel Model: Kadey Krogen 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlen View Post
Also, has anyone installed either this model unit or another one like it?

Thanks.
I looked at making this swap on our 2006 34T. Didn't do it. I *think* I recall some cabinet mods would have been needed. Don't remember if I viewed those mods as significant or not.
danderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 07:17 AM   #5
TF Site Team

City: Seneca Lake NY
Vessel Name: Bacchus
Vessel Model: MS 34 HT Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
Honest question. What is the appeal of drawer type fridges on boats? I know they are currently popular, and they do look nice, but don't they waste a lot of space? We have a drawer freezer on our home fridge, and even though it has a sliding shelf inside, it is pretty much impossible to organize. Stuff gets buried and we don't find it for months.

I've spent time on sailboats with top loading fridges and though they are efficient, they are a nightmare to work with. The thing you need seems to always be on the bottom. I know drawers are easier to access than a true top load but the concept is the same. If you use most of their capacity the contents are in a pile. You have to leave it open for an extended period of time while you dig through it looking for what you need which wastes power.

I think they would be sleek looking, modern and great on a day boat where you are only keeping a few snacks and some drinks onboard, but for for a working galley made for extended cruising?

Doug
We have one of these and find it rather easy to find things. The only exception are plastic bags of small items that reside in a small sliding tray within one of the drawers.
To me the depth of each drawer is less than the depth of the cabinet or depth of a conventional front door fridge so the access problem there is things behind others. In the drawer you can see most of the tops of items and you get to recognize items that way. The typical under counter door fridge frequently requires at least kneeling to find things on shelves but behind other items.
A home freezer draw generally contains a collection of bagged / wrapped items and not a collection of jars, cans, etc as in the fridge.
We try to keep drinks on one drawer and food stuff in another so you know where to start. With the door fridges there is one large door to open to get at anything.
I guess its one of those "to each his own" sort of thing any why both types are available.
Bacchus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

City: Port Ludlow, WA
Vessel Name: Red Knot
Vessel Model: Mainship 34T
Doug,

We find our front opening small refrigerator makes it difficult to see what is in the back part of the fridge. A drawer model with two drawers would make it easier.

Harlen
Harlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:10 PM   #7
Guru

City: Reno, Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougcole View Post
?

When you open your door in - or after - some seas all your food doesn’t fall out onto your shoes.
Alaskaflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2021, 08:50 PM   #8
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
Thanks for the info, y’all, it does make more sense now. Especially the part about stuff not falling out.

Do you find that the hardware associated with a drawer (slides etc) uses ip a lot of available space in the cabinet?
Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote