crossing the okeechobee, on mini florida look

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jann

Plan on crossing the Okeechobee as part of the mini florida loop Feb 7-18. have a 34 Mainship with controls at the flybride only
Concerned about the locks, my wife not much help. anyone that have crossed, please advise
can I cross it without help of first mate.

Also anyone interested in making all or part of this trip with us.....we start at marco islaMnd, ft myers, stuart, ft lauderdale, marathon, back to marco. So far there is two, possible three boats going.

Nice trip, crossing the O should not be a problem if your wife assist during docking you should be alright, especially if you have a pilot house and can slip out to grab a line. Let the lock tenders know and they can be helpful on directions. After a couple of locks, everyone will be an expert. LaBell city docks allow 3 free days (power & water), call Mexi-Taxi and eat at Jim’s Steakhouse! Enjoy to trip!

We had my wife at the bow (for the locks) and me at the stern after I got the boat in position. I suppose you could just grab one line from your position on the flybridge if you have good fenders.

My flybridge is open. If yours is enclosed, that might not work.

If there are extra people on the other boats, maybe one could ride with you for the locks.

We did not find the locks to be difficult.

jann,

Yes you can do it solo, but will require a few skills. Worth getting a bit of training. Capt Chris has a good DVD on locking, worth while.

However, if you mate could just grab a line or operate the boat, makes it much easier.

Put your wife on the bow to grab one of the hanging lines there at the lock. Have your fenders arranged before getting into the lock. After she has run her line around the bow cleat you step down from the FB and grab the stern line and run it through a cleat. It’s super easy. She just has to stand there and provide just a little force on the line.
Don’t cleat the lines just run around the cleat then hold on to the line.

It’s all easy as long as the wind isn’t blowing like crazy. I’ve done it single handed but I drive from a deck level pilothouse not a FB.

If your wife can wrap a half inch line around a cleat twice and hold on that’s about all she needs to do. St Lucie lock has the largest drop of about 12 ft. By then you will have the routine down. Just don’t cleat the line off and leave your post.

LaBell city docks allow 3 free days

We cruised in looking forward to this and found that the only slip wide enough for our 14 foot beam, the most downstream one, was completely choked with water chestnuts and unusable.

Back
Top Bottom