Couch or recliners?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jefndeb

Guru
Vessel Name
Indigo Star
Vessel Make
2006 Mainship 400
We have the factory sofa on our 2007 400 and I was wondering if anyone out there has tried the dual recliner option?

Seems to look pretty comfy.

Here is a pic but I think it might be a 390.

Anyone care to comment? 20211104_204045.jpg

We did the dual recliners on our NP 45. They are comfy!

Rob

We had recliners in our last boat and loved them. Great for bad backs.

Recliners rock!

View attachment 122702
We have the factory sofa on our 2007 400 and I was wondering if anyone out there has tried the dual recliner option?

Seems to look pretty comfy.

Here is a pic but I think it might be a 390.

Anyone care to comment?View attachment 122674
They make it home they swivel and recline, very comfy we have a narrow table between and move the main table to allow us to recline.

Attachments

• 20180627_151152.jpg
    20180627_151152.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 45
Very comfy looking, where did you get those from?
Jeff

We replaced the sofa with a futon. Much more comfortable, provides guest accommodations, and storage undeneath.

A pair of Ekornes Stressless on Retreat are now over 25 yrs in and we still love them.

A pair of Ekornes Stressless on Retreat are now over 25 yrs in and we still love them.

We had these for 20 years and loved them. Moved them from one boat to a RV and then to another boat. Unfortunately we had to let them go with the last boat when we sold it.

I'd love to go with recliners but just can't give up the stowage under the sofa.

Just mentioning that in case it's a consideration in the OP's case.

I'd love to go with recliners but just can't give up the stowage under the sofa.

Just mentioning that in case it's a consideration in the OP's case.

:thumb: My problem also. Cant afford to lose the stowage space plus I need the table.

We ended up with a bit of a compromise. The old L-shaped settee was horribly uncomfortable and the stowage under was hard to access.

So I ripped it all out and bought an RV pull-out sofa and matching recliner. Space was limited because of the engine room hatch, so a normal sofa wouldn't fit. The recliner is maybe a bit too large, but because it's for an RV it's a lot smaller than a "normal" recliner. It is very comfortable.

The sofa is made to drop in, or to sit on aluminum frame legs. I built legs out of 2x4s and a large drawer which gives me easy access to all the space under the sofa. I added "arms" on either side to give it a built-in look, and there's stowage in those, too. It also gave me a place to add a 120VAC outlet and a dual USB charging port. The sofa pulls out to a bed, and has a center fold-down cushion armrest in the middle, with cup holders.

Not as comfortable as two recliners, but a pretty good compromise.

674-albums5046-picture34073.jpg

674-albums5046-picture34075.jpg

674-albums5046-picture34074.jpg

Cant Tom, what is the length couch?
When open what is the length of the bed?

We were lucky enough to be able to keep the sofa and add recliners. If I’d had to choose, I’d have gone with the recliners.

Attachments

• 5CDE3C35-DA51-4960-BF9B-A99BE8513500.jpg
    5CDE3C35-DA51-4960-BF9B-A99BE8513500.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 33
If it came down to storage versus back comfort there isn’t any question, back comfort. You can always get rid of some stuff but having back pain is much more difficult to get rid of, ask me how I know.

If it came down to storage versus back comfort there isn’t any question, back comfort. You can always get rid of some stuff but having back pain is much more difficult to get rid of, ask me how I know.

Amen! +1

Rob

We bought this one.

• Sofa Size: 72" x 28" x 23"
  • Sleeping Surface: 72" x 42" x 8. 5"
  • Overall depth in bed position: 42"

On my AT34, I occasionally have another couple. So that mandates sleeping for a total of 4.
The pictured sofa does indicate about the same amount of storage under the sofa which is good.
The sofa is too long by about a foot plus I hate to lose the table so rather than go through the routine or configuring the existing bench sofa into a bed (a pain in the butt) I shall use a very comfy, recently purchased air mattress that pretty much fills the floor space in the saloon and galley space, quick to inflate and deflate with the wet/dry vacuum. Now I have to find a place to put it when not in use. Always problems LOL

Wifey B: We're addicted to recliners whether theater type seating or nice sofas where the two ends recline or individual. A reclining sofa is very usable as a bed for one. Only negatives with reclining are you must allow some space behind, yes even with those that claim you don't need it. Also reclining sofas are heavy which is good in a boat. Oh, one last point is some tend to slide a bit if on a hard floor like tile or wood. :D

If it came down to storage versus back comfort there isn’t any question, back comfort.

Agreed, that's one reason I'd been trying to come up with a solution for the narrow, straight-backed settee that was on my boat. The RV sofa and recliner are a great upgrade, at the expense of a relatively small amount of stowage under the short leg of the L-shaped settee. Everything on a boat is a compromise!

On my AT34, I occasionally have another couple. So that mandates sleeping for a total of 4.

Before I decided to go with the RV sofa I found this pull-out sofa/bed idea on a van conversion blog. The blog seems to be gone but if you do an image search there's still some info on Pintrest:
4339-albums438-picture7185.jpg

4339-albums438-picture7186.jpg

4339-albums438-picture7187.jpg

I have a few more pics of similar ideas, PM me if want them. But once you get started googling, you'll probably find lots of them.

Another option would be to incorporate the table (if it can lower) as a part of a support for a futon-type mattress. I suspect that's how my L-shaped settee was originally set up by the manufacturer, but it had been re-done by a PO. The table seems like it would fit neatly into the "L" to make a bed.

Agreed, that's one reason I'd been trying to come up with a solution for the narrow, straight-backed settee that was on my boat. The RV sofa and recliner are a great upgrade, at the expense of a relatively small amount of stowage under the short leg of the L-shaped settee. Everything on a boat is a compromise!

That pull out sofa idea is basically what a day bed is.

We ended up with a bit of a compromise. The old L-shaped settee was horribly uncomfortable and the stowage under was hard to access.

So I ripped it all out and bought an RV pull-out sofa and matching recliner. Space was limited because of the engine room hatch, so a normal sofa wouldn't fit. The recliner is maybe a bit too large, but because it's for an RV it's a lot smaller than a "normal" recliner. It is very comfortable.

The sofa is made to drop in, or to sit on aluminum frame legs. I built legs out of 2x4s and a large drawer which gives me easy access to all the space under the sofa. I added "arms" on either side to give it a built-in look, and there's stowage in those, too. It also gave me a place to add a 120VAC outlet and a dual USB charging port. The sofa pulls out to a bed, and has a center fold-down cushion armrest in the middle, with cup holders.

Not as comfortable as two recliners, but a pretty good compromise.

674-albums5046-picture34073.jpg

674-albums5046-picture34075.jpg

674-albums5046-picture34074.jpg

Thanks for posting this CT, very clever idea for multi-functional furniture :thumb:
Do you have any pics of the couch framing arrangement?

This photo shows the 2x frame on the left side, along with the unfinished drawer:
4339-albums438-picture7190.jpg

This is the manufacturer's photo of the optional metal leg set. I did the same thing, but with wood, and made it deeper to match up to the slanted cabin side behind the sofa.
4339-albums438-picture7191.png

We replaced sofa on our MS /400 with Thomas Payne RV recliners.

That's the brand I bought (pictured above.)

I think too many builders (and buyers) don't consider comfortable seating. It really makes the difference between a day boat and a long-range cruiser.

Back
Top Bottom