Old 12-24-2020, 08:37 AM   #261
Scraping Paint

City: Niagara Falls
Some facts about ei stoves:

Cook Faster, Healthier, Safer, and Smarter with Induction
Faster: An induction stovetop heats up 30% faster than a commercial gas stovetop.

Healthier: Gas stoves release toxic chemicals from both the gas that hisses out when you light the stove and the gas that burns while you cook. Even if you use the stove vent, a gas stove still reduces the air quality in your home. Many studies have found a 32% increased risk of asthma among children in homes where gas is used for cooking.

Safer: You can put your hand directly on the burner while it’s cooking and not get burned. (Though the pot will get hot!) When there’s no pan on the burner, nothing gets hot. No one can cause a fire or explosion by leaving the burner on by mistake.

Better Control: From frying at 375° to warming chocolate sauce at 110°, induction controls temperature with greater precision than gas.

More Efficient: Induction stoves use 30 to 50% less energy and release fewer emissions than gas stoves.

Easier to clean: An induction stovetop is smooth and easy to wipe clean. With no burners, nothing gets burned onto the surface.

Cooler: A gas or regular electric stove heats the air as well as the pot, making you swelter. Induction stoves only heat the pot and the food.
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:40 AM   #262
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Yes, most boaters...but liveaboards often use one or two burners with the oven on and some reports here are that many marine electric stove/ovens can't do that.
Those 'reports' are...that they dont have enough power capacity on their boats. Boats that DO have, can.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:08 AM   #263
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
To me, the advantage of induction cooking, I think I can cook just as much with 2 burners as I could with 3 burners because of speed. IF I change to an induction stove top, I still need to find a good convection/microwave combo. AND everything has to dance together on the boat.

SMILE Rich or poor some of us just like to cook at home/boat. We dont have to shower and put on underwear and pants and and. Sometimes we just cook better. SMILE Example: I cant get them to cook my eggs and bacon or sausage and potatoes the way I want. The exception is Waffle House. They can make a perfect breakfast, 24 hrs a day.
I can prepare lobster tails at 1/2 the price of a restaurant allowing me to have an extra lobster tail at home.
I could go on with the various menus but, I wont.
Eating breakfast while in your jammies is a nice way to start the day.
Plus my Vietnamese lady is learning how to cook western. She went home for a visit and impressed them with the skills she learned.
Her parents were here for a month and I made them meals.... although they did like my lobster tails a little bit too much. LOL I had to cut them off after 3 meals of lobster tails.
Yen's mama liked to sit at the table and observe my cooking skills and both parents really enjoyed the new cuisine of cooking without rice. WINK
Old 12-24-2020, 09:13 AM   #264
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Oh man.....this thread was almost back on track.

David, I know you want to talk about your latest boat-crush, a Unicorn of a vessel with a 150kw generator and 15kva inverter (gulp and double gulp!). It's not that anyone is denying it exists, it's just that it's so exotic that it's just not relevant to the folks on a forum such as this with people who actually own boats, with the average likely falling in the 45-foot range. Around here, $300k is a pretty expensive boat, and a gold-plater is above $800k or so. Roughly 400-600AH house battery banks are the most common, with 6kw-12kw generators aboard.

Don't take it so personally. Its just you're in the wrong place to discuss these concept boats. Someday they will become more mainstream. But that day isn't today, and the venue for discussion isn't a thread on gas vs electric cooking.

I'm sure you consider yourself a disruptor. I think most consider it disruptive which is too bad. It's an interesting concept boat and deserves its own thread. But please, just because you want to talk about it, don't barge every conversation, respond to every response.

This isn't about you.

Peter

PS - I know you're reading this, even though you said you wouldn't
Old 12-24-2020, 09:14 AM   #265
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
SMILE Rich or poor some of us just like to cook at home/boat. We dont have to shower and put on underwear and pants and and. Sometimes we just cook better. SMILE Example: I cant get them to cook my eggs and bacon or sausage and potatoes the way I want. The exception is Waffle House. They can make a perfect breakfast, 24 hrs a day.
I can prepare lobster tails at 1/2 the price of a restaurant allowing me to have an extra lobster tail at home.
I could go on with the various menus but, I wont.
Eating breakfast while in your jammies is a nice way to start the day.
Plus my Vietnamese lady is learning how to cook western. She went home for a visit and impressed them with the skills she learned.
Her parents were here for a month and I made them meals.... although they did like my lobster tails a little bit too much. LOL I had to cut them off after 3 meals of lobster tails.

Good move...get a boat and an asian girl to cook, etc!
Old 12-24-2020, 09:17 AM   #266
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
Those 'reports' sre...that they dont have enough power capacity on their boats. Boats that DO have, can.

To have the power you are discussing...not many boats owned here really are set up for it or have the deck space for enough solar without looking like the space station. The comment earlier about a boat with 4kW worth of solar in my mind is comical. I have trouble finding room for more than 400W....and many cruisers here are even smaller.

It's cheaper and simpler to go propane all too often.

As batteries, electrical systems, solar panels and cooking methods advance...sure, going that direction may be inevitable.

But for now, for a guy who is immersed in boating at many levels...I just don't see it as common, or evenly commonly discussed amongst long distance cruisers.

Sure they are out there like electric or hybrid vehicles..and now Ford and GM are ramping up big time...but looking at any parking lots (like marinas) the future is still out there...not quite here yet.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:19 AM   #267
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
My two-burner induction cooktop is 1,800 watts, total. One burner can draw 1,800 watts, the other 1,300 watts but, when used together, the total does not exceed 1,800.
Quote:
One I just looked up used 1550 total watts (950 micro so I assume 600 electric element).

So that and an average water heater put you close (26 amps or so)....don't know the wattage of your burners but most likely not both on high, maybe both on low or if one is very small.
catalinajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 09:20 AM   #268
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
Good move...get a boat and an asian girl to cook, etc!
No no no, I cook!!! She watches and learns.
On the boat, if I wish to eat while while wearing jammies or being naked, I can do that, dont try that at a restaurant.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:29 AM   #269
Guru

Per the electric and or hybrid boat crossing the ocean; they did not confess the number of engineers and spare parts they had on board. Nor did they confess on any problems they had.
Now that is my final comment on these boats.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:36 AM   #270
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
My two-burner induction cooktop is 1,800 watts, total. One burner can draw 1,800 watts, the other 1,300 watts but, when used together, the total does not exceed 1,800.

OK....2kW plus 1800 equals what? I was ponting out how close running just about any convection microwave and 2 burners will be on a single 30A powered boat....if choosing a microwave convection combo...a 2kW unit would be pushing it or past any margin.

The reason I upgraded to 50A 125/250V service as a live aboard would be so that power management would be more of an afterthought than constantly chasing popped breakers.
Old 12-24-2020, 09:41 AM   #271
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
The 1800 watts equates to about 15 amps. That still allows me something for the microwave/convection oven.
Considering I have a 30amp boat, I can shut off the WH and not miss it for a couple of hours. The recovery time on a boat water heater if far faster than at home too. I guess that is because the volume of stored HW is less on a boat.
Of course during the cooking, with a 6KW generator, one or both A/Cs is off too.
The only advantages of induction cooking is speed so the time the A/Cs and HW heater are off, is considerable less than using electric coil cooking.
I am still trying to squeeze in electrically a microwave/convestion oven
Old 12-24-2020, 10:02 AM   #272
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
The 1800 watts equates to about 15 amps. That still allows me something for the microwave/convection oven.
Considering I have a 30amp boat, I can shut off the WH and not miss it for a couple of hours. The recovery time on a boat water heater if far faster than at home too. I guess that is because the volume of stored HW is less on a boat.
Of course during the cooking, with a 6KW generator, one or both A/Cs is off too.
The only advantages of induction cooking is speed so the time the A/Cs and HW heater are off, is considerable less than using electric coil cooking.
I am still trying to squeeze in electrically a microwave/convestion oven

6kw from the generator is a lot more than a single 30A shore hookup (it's 50A total). If you've got a single 30A but a 6kw generator, have you thought about splitting the panel into 2 legs and adding a second 30A inlet? Maybe 1 for cooking appliances, the other for everything else?
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 10:20 AM   #273
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Oh man.....this thread was almost back on track.

David, I know you want to talk about your latest boat-crush, a Unicorn of a vessel with a 150kw generator and 15kva inverter (gulp and double gulp!). It's not that anyone is denying it exists, it's just that it's so exotic that it's just not relevant to the folks on a forum such as this with people who actually own boats, with the average likely falling in the 45-foot range. Around here, $300k is a pretty expensive boat, and a gold-plater is above $800k or so. Roughly 400-600AH house battery banks are the most common, with 6kw-12kw generators aboard.

Don't take it so personally. Its just you're in the wrong place to discuss these concept boats. Someday they will become more mainstream. But that day isn't today, and the venue for discussion isn't a thread on gas vs electric cooking.

I'm sure you consider yourself a disruptor. I think most consider it disruptive which is too bad. It's an interesting concept boat and deserves its own thread. But please, just because you want to talk about it, don't barge every conversation, respond to every response.

This isn't about you.

Peter

PS - I know you're reading this, even though you said you wouldn't

I know when most of the posts start disagreeing with me, I have broken my own rule of discussing the norm and more to the extreme.

And as you pointed out earlier, we all like to see peer review links or at least what ones experience/credentials are (other than reading magazine articles and manufacturer brochures).
Old 12-24-2020, 10:21 AM   #274
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
6kw from the generator is a lot more than a single 30A shore hookup (it's 50A total). If you've got a single 30A but a 6kw generator, have you thought about splitting the panel into 2 legs and adding a second 30A inlet? Maybe 1 for cooking appliances, the other for everything else?
I have a 2nd 30amp leg that provides for the 2 A/Cs
Old 12-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #275
Guru

Quote:
I have a 2nd 30amp leg that provides for the 2 A/Cs

Tap into that one for the convection microwave outlet. You could run a small AC and a smaller Conv/micro at the same time.... everything else on the other leg.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:24 AM   #276
Guru

I have never read a totally honest review in a mag. Give them a bad review and they will pull their ads.
Old 12-24-2020, 10:27 AM   #277
Guru

Quote:
Tap into that one for the convection microwave outlet. You could run a small AC and a smaller Conv/micro at the same time.... everything else on the other leg.
I have a 16k and a 12k A/C. There is no amp meter on the 2nd leg so I do not know how much room I have left.

When on the 6KW generator, I still think I will have to do the "30amp" dance.
Load shedding has become a way of life for me.
LOL
Old 12-24-2020, 10:31 AM   #278
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:
I have a 16k and a 12k A/C. There is no amp meter on the 2nd leg so I do not know how much room I have left.

When on the 6KW generator, I still think I will have to do the "30amp" dance.
Load shedding has become a way of life for me.
LOL

If each leg of the panel is breakered at 30 amps, then yes, you're still limited to 30A per leg. If the panel isn't breakered at 30A and only the inlets are, then as long as the generator has a single 120V output fed in parallel to the 2 legs (rather than a 120/240 split phase output), you could use 50A total distributed however you want, provided the panel wiring can handle 50A on one leg.

My 16k A/C in the salon uses about 14 amps in cool mode with the pump included. Heat uses a bit more. A 12k will use less. So with an induction microwave on the A/C circuit you could run the smaller A/C and the microwave at the same time. Depending on how much the microwave draws, you might be able to use it and the big A/C.

If you really wanted to get fancy, install a selector switch for the microwave circuit so it can run from either leg as needed. Then if it's really hot out, you run it on leg 1 and load manage there but keep both A/Cs running. If it's not so hot, you can flip it to leg 2 with less or no A/C and use the microwave and stove at the same time with minimal or no power management concerns.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 12:27 PM   #279
Scraping Paint

I know when most of the posts start disagreeing with me, I have broken my own rule of discussing the norm and more to the extreme.

And as you pointed out earlier, we all like to see peer review links or at least what ones experience/credentials are (other than reading magazine articles and manufacturer brochures).[/QUOTE]

So when guys here say that boat makers lie, then, like with that one boat mentioned above, they advertise that they offer to sell you aboat with the following, how do you verify what they offer for sale is true? Heres whatt one 55 footer claims:::::::10Kw solar panels...2 X 250kW, electric motors...150kW genset....300kh battery bank. Some here even said a 110 kWh battery bank couldnt fit, while admitting they have no idea pf the dimensions or weight. How would you see those claims are true? Be specific.
Old 12-24-2020, 12:30 PM   #280
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
As far as fire related safety, ...
Of that 2%, well over half are still caused by alcohol stoves.

It is interesting that alcohol stoves used to be preferred for fire safety reasons. You can put out an alcohol fire with water. Of course, you have to sort of light the whole range on fire to get them started.

One alternative not discussed is diesel stoves. Dickinson makes them, as does Wallas.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote