Old 12-24-2020, 04:42 AM   #241
Guru

City: Edgewater, MD
Vessel Name: Catalina Jack
Vessel Model: Defever 44
We use a Breville tabletop electric oven. It bakes bread, pizza, and cookies, roasts prime rib, just as well as our dirt house oven. I wouldn't remove a working gas set-up but induction backed up with the Beeville is a terrific alternative. Plus, if condensation is a problem on a particular boat, gas can make it much worse, not every boat but some. So, as with most things boating, there are choices and trade-offs and certainly few absolutes. If boiling water quickly is important, induction beats propane by a lot. We keep a butane portable burner (hob) for occasional use when we need a third burner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
^^^ But its $1200 for 2 burners
And no oven
Where's the logic behind ripping out perfectly good gas and replacing it with a lesser product at a higher price?
What do they bake bread in, pizzas, roast etc?
catalinajack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 04:44 AM   #242
Guru

$1,200 is a ridiculous price. There are far less expensive and good alternatives.
Quote:
^^^ But its $1200 for 2 burners
And no oven
Where's the logic behind ripping out perfectly good gas and replacing it with a lesser product at a higher price?
What do they bake bread in, pizzas, roast etc?
Old 12-24-2020, 04:55 AM   #243
Guru

Just one more route to the same destination. Pick the one that works best for you. As for the danger issue, keep in mind that millions of homes are supplied with propane or natural gas. Yes, rarely, there is a tragedy but I see no stampede to stamp out gas in homes because it is so "dangerous" as if electrical fires never happen in homes or boats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by obthomas View Post
I'm all electric and I have a $10,000 generator in a sound enclosure. Why would I ever consider solar and batteries and inverters or propane and all the extra crap that goes with them. Generator humming is sort of peaceful to me.
Old 12-24-2020, 04:58 AM   #244
Guru

The capital cost of a generator on a boat not purchased new is minimal. It comes with any good-sized boat. Therefore, operating costs are diesel fuel and an occasional oil change and impeller change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
Generator run-time is a bit of a holy war I suppose. East/Gulf Coast it's common to see boats with more generator hours than the mains. That's rare on the West Coast. Folks in that camp would say "When you add-up all the costs of ownership, maintenance, and operation, a generator is at least $10/hour. Why would I consider that when I can have solar and the accompanying quietness?"

Different strokes.....

Peter
Old 12-24-2020, 05:18 AM   #245
Guru

Simi 60, don't you have a generator, an inverter, and batteries? Worrying about an electrical system failure is not a good reason for propane. Simply keep a butane hob on board as backup if you wish for redundancy. Simi, you seem very protective of your boat choices. Your choices are not the right choices for others. And, no, I don't think there is anything simple about propane. Sure, the hook-up is, but storing gas bottles, hauling them ashore for refilling, and lugging them back aboard, that's simple? By the way, we cook with (and love) with an induction cooktop and tabletop convection oven but we also keep a full-size gas grill on the aft deck for grilling and smoking meats and pizza oven to boot. I keep a 20# and a 30# bottle aboard.
Quote:
Or look at gas as redundancy
If my genset or electrical system has issues I can still cook a meal with gas.

As for simplicity do you really think generator, inverters, batteries and wiring is more simple than a gas bottle and hose? (A little bit more complicated if inside)
Click image for larger version

Name:	_AAA5406.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	111801Click image for larger version

Name:	Pizza.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	111802
Old 12-24-2020, 05:24 AM   #246
Guru

Baloney. And, besides just another Simi 60 pointless point. Lots of boats having something in particular doesn't make it a good choice. With time comes advances and change. Before induction, marine electric cooking was an awful alternative to propane. Same for vacuflush heads. Old technology, good 30 years ago, terrible today. Now, please, no comments or thread drift. I cited this just as an example.
Quote:
Bogus comparison yourself.
Very few boats have electric stoves as they are only a recent thing.

Far more have gas or metho.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:26 AM   #247
Guru

Yes, to each his own, good advice for all of us making comments. Smart-allecky retorts are not helpful.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
I always love these gas-is-dangerous conversations. Risk is customarily calculated across impact if it happens vs probability that it might. Clearly, impact if a gas explosion occurs is extreme. But what about probability? Extremely low. Now what? What do you do about evaluating a high-impact but low-probability event?

Example: Suppose it was 10x more likely that you would die of a meteorite strike if you live between certain latitudes. Sounds ominous - better move, right? But if that 10x more likely equated to 1 in one-trillion vs one in ten-trillion? It's ten times more likely, but probability is still infinitesimal.

Of all the risks to worry about, having a propane stove blow-up is a long way down the list. Right after whether orange Crocs make my thighs look fat (note - I neither own nor wear Crocs of any color)?

I don't like electric boats because I don't like being forced to run a generator, especially 0400 when I want a cup of coffee. You want to talk about risk? Try waking-up my dearly beloved Cheryll at 4AM - risk-impact and probability of bodily harm are significant.

For me, a properly setup and sized solar system works well for small appliances. For bulk-cooking, gas stove/oven is the right answer for me. To each their own.

Peter
Old 12-24-2020, 05:29 AM   #248
Guru

Okay, that's Oz, but in the US, where there are a few more boats than in Oz, electric is far more prevalent.
Quote:
OK, well been in the boat building game in Oz since the early 80's and on this side of the pond, electric stoves in boats is a novelty/rarity.
Old 12-24-2020, 05:34 AM   #249
Guru

Why are you so defensive about your boat choices? You, sir, obviously, have the best boat, best systems, best of everything, nothing could be improved or work better. And, other folks choices, well, they are just ill-informed at best. Prove it! Really? That's a helpful response? I guess when you have nothing helpful to offer .....
Quote:
Prove it.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #250
Scraping Paint

City: Niagara Falls
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
I'm not really seeing D.E. responses as he is now on Ignore, but:

2000 miles in 17 days is a bit under 5 knots. In trades with a following wind and sea. Burning 340 gallons. Certainly doesn't qualify as an electric crossing. That particular crossing has been done many times on beach cats, wind surfers, kayaks, and boats as small as 6'. That cat had a lot of superstructure and windage, I wonder how many more days it would have been with no motor at all. In the ARC rally, the faster sailboats cross from the Canaries to the Windwards (a considerably longer passage) in 8 days when conditions are good, as they have appeared to have been, using zero gallons.
I guess they missed the amemo. Once I identify frivolous tolls, I dont wasteanymore time on them. Yet one of them dd get it, said "thank goodness", then continued to troll.

That boat trip was in february...winter in Europe...it rained the first seven days. And good thing they never said it was a rave or rslly, nor do they advertise as a performance boat. But in normal conditions, about how many miles a day? I think they said 100. The crossing proves the boats exist, which some here denied. Some also wouldmtvbelieve one crossed the Atlantic. Some dont believe the battery capacities. Wait a minute...it was only a few of the resident trolls who didnt.
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:12 AM   #251
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalinajack View Post
Why are you so defensive about your boat choices? You, sir, obviously, have the best boat, best systems, best of everything, nothing could be improved or work better. And, other folks choices, well, they are just ill-informed at best. Prove it! Really? That's a helpful response? I guess when you have nothing helpful to offer .....
Im not defensive about my boat choices. In fact I dont have one of those boats,,but pointed them out as examples of electric/hybrid boats, to guys that didnt know they existed. Then when they found out they did, tried to say the companies were lying, etc. And a few tried to deny that litiuum ion battery packs of those capacities could fit on boats of the size mentioned. And they denied it even though they have no idea of the dimensions of them.

Its quite common in such groups that a few trolls show up. Now that ive recognized some of them by name, and stopped wasting time on them, they say they will ignore ME, now. Good, now ill just respond to serious interlocutors.
Old 12-24-2020, 07:32 AM   #252
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
I can really appreciate what folks have done on their big boats but understand I have a AT34 with limited space.
I am trying to find someone with experience using a microwave/convection oven to compliment a 2 burner induction stove top.

On a 30amp boat, can I use both burners and the microwave/convection oven at the same time? I have a 6KW gen and not ashamed to use it

I have read one valid observation for converting to or keeping a LP stove. One can turn on all the burner and use the oven at the same time. I had never thought about that possibility. Maybe in my next life. SHRUG
Old 12-24-2020, 07:48 AM   #253
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Sold
Vessel Model: Was an Albin 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I can really appreciate what folks have done on their big boats but understand I have a AT34 with limited space.
I am trying to find someone with experience using a microwave/convection oven to compliment a 2 burner induction stove top.

On a 30amp boat, can I use both burners and the microwave/convection oven at the same time? I have a 6KW gen and not ashamed to use it

I have read one valid observation for converting to or keeping a LP stove. One can turn on all the burner and use the oven at the same time. I had never thought about that possibility.

One I just looked up used 1550 total watts (950 micro so I assume 600 electric element).

So that and an average water heater put you close (26 amps or so)....don't know the wattage of your burners but most likely not both on high, maybe both on low or if one is very small.
psneeld is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:49 AM   #254

City: Med
We chose a Miele convection/grill/microwave combo, rated at 2kw max. It fits into a standard 600x450mm slot easily.
That might work for you also? I could check, if it is also available in a 60Hz version.
Quote:

I have read one valid observation for converting to or keeping a LP stove. One can turn on all the burner and use the oven at the same time. I had never thought about that possibility.

woolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 07:53 AM   #255
Guru

2000 watts and 2 burners....probably not...but there are less wattage combo units.
Old 12-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #256
Scraping Paint

Quote:

I have read one valid observation for converting to or keeping a LP stove. One can turn on all the burner and use the oven at the same time. I had never thought about that possibility. Maybe in my next life. SHRUG
Yes, with gas you can turn on everything at the same time, but....we know that people seldom do that on boats, just as most of us hardly ever do that in houses. So its basically a non issue. Most modern boats get induction stoves because people think theyre safer. (But nobody in this thread has been able to prove it one way or the other)
Old 12-24-2020, 08:15 AM   #257
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
Yes, with gas you can turn on everything at the same time, but....we know that people seldom do that on boats, just as most of us hardly ever do that in houses. So its basically a non issue. Most modern boats get induction stoves because people think theyre safer. (But nobody in this thread has been able to prove it one way or the other)
Induction stove safer? Cant burn you hands as you can with an electric coil burner. LOL

Am I thinking wrong when I say, the only difference between a "stand alone" 2000watt inverter and a "stand alone" 2500watt inverter is, the 2500watt inverter sucks harder on the battery, drawing the voltage and amperage down faster? So if I never need more than 2000watts, there is no need for a larger inverter?
Old 12-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #258
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:

I was in a similar situation to you when I bought my boat. I was convinced that I wanted to switch the oven / stovetop to propane. There was already a vented locker, the propane tubing run was simple and straightforward, and the boat manufacturer had selected sizing that would easily accommodate a propane or electric oven.

Ultimately I chose not to convert to propane, not for any perceived safety reason, but because I almost never use the oven or cooktop. Almost all my cooking is on a propane grill on the upper deck. Between that, a microwave and a Nespresso coffeemaker, I have almost no use for the oven or stove top.

Good friends of mine love to cook and probably couldn't survive without a 3 or 4 burner cooktop and oven. So I guess you figure out how important the added performance of a gas stove is, or adapt to what you have.

Now when it comes to grilling, propane seems to be the choice if you're not running the generator 24/7.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 08:32 AM   #259
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Induction stove safer? Cant burn you hands as you can with an electric coil burner. LOL

Am I thinking wrong when I say, the only difference between a "stand alone" 2000watt inverter and a "stand alone" 2500watt inverter is, the 2500watt inverter sucks harder on the battery, drawing the voltage and amperage down faster? So if I never need more than 2000watts, there is no need for a larger inverter?
Dashew began writing about moving from propane to induction back in 2009 when induction stove tops were dang expensive. It has been a hot topic in the sailing community for the past 5 years at least as lithium and solar have become more accessible. It's also gaining a ton of traction in the RV community.

While induction is definitely safer than an exposed heating coil or flame, that's not the reason people cite for going to induction. It's much faster, much more energy efficient, and for full time global cruisers, removes or reduces need to refill propane bottles. I forget which sailing channel I was recently watching, but they had two sets of bottles aboard for the different countries they are traveling in.

As far as fire related safety, BoatUS statistics cite that stove related fires have reduced dramatically over the years. The reason they provide is alcohol stoves have been replaced with electric and propane stoves. Their stats still show that 2% of boat fires are related to cooking appliances (including BBQs, which would include gas, charcoal, and electric). Of that 2%, well over half are still caused by alcohol stoves. The tiny fraction that remain would be scattered amongst other cooking appliances, including BBQs (gas, charcoal, and electric). BoatUS statistics do not cite a difference in safety between gas and electric stoves. Given the size of their insurance business, that is a significant omission.

Peter
Old 12-24-2020, 08:35 AM   #260
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post

Yes, most boaters...but liveaboards often use one or two burners with the oven on and some reports here are that many marine electric stove/ovens can't do that.

Just like cooking at home, some people mostly eat out...my friends all are to poor to do that...including my boating friends. So simultaneous oven and burner use is common.

Can I prove anything one way or the other? Not sure anyone can but just good old experience makes one lean one way or the other.