Old 12-23-2020, 08:10 PM   #221
Scraping Paint

City: Niagara Falls
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
A Silent 64 (the only Silent 64) did cross the Atlantic (by the shortest possible route) in 2018. According to the captain, they only used 340 gallons of diesel (in their electric boat) to do it.
Thanks for corroborating that: they exist....and one crossed the Atlantic in really stormy weather with no sun. Some of the resident trolls swore neither was true.
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:13 PM   #222
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
Thanks for corroborating that: they exist....and one crossed the Atlantic in really stormy weather with no sun. Some of the resident trolls swore neither was true.
Still waiting for the citation.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #223
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
Why not switch to electric induction? Cooks like gas, but the fuel is much easier to deal with.

Don't you start
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:21 PM   #224
Scraping Paint

DDW.....Did you get that, even though you corroborated those two facts, the resident troll still doesnt accept it! ( I wouldnt be surprised if he also accepts the 'fine people hoax')
Old 12-23-2020, 08:23 PM   #225
Guru

Here's the problem with a simple "crossed the Atlantic" statement. Sounds like something like London to NYC or something, probably 1800 nms or so. Impressive. But shortest possible route? That might mean something like Teneriffe to Newfoundland. Probably 1000 nms. Still impressive, but a lot different than 1800 nms. 340 gals diesel could drive a long slender catamaran at least 400 miles at 4 kts, maybe 500. So now you're down to 500 nm range under solar.....maybe. Still impressive, but a long way from cross-oceanic range under solar.

So that's why the rest of the story would be interesting. This is just conjecture of how, as an ex delivery skipper, I'd approach it.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:26 PM   #226
Guru

Quote:
DDW.....Did you get that, even though you corroborated those two facts, the resident troll still doesnt accept it! ( I wouldnt be surprised if he also accepts the 'fine people hoax')
Still waiting for a citation.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:27 PM   #227
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
I dont remember anybody saying hybrid boats are 'the answer', to long distance cruising. But I made the bold and controversial comment that a 110 KwH litium battery pack can fit into a 55 foot boat. Some denied it, I proved such boats already exist, some denied that too.
I did find a YouTube video of the 64' version of the boat doing a hopscotch crossing of the Atlantic.

I'm at a loss for why a Hybrid crossing has any significance. It's basically a diesel electric boat with energy storage that can be supplemented with solar. From the captain's description, it's pretty obvious that the crossing wasn't possible without fossil fuel providing a significant amount of the energy.

If the objective is to reduce the consumption of fossil fuel, a sailboat is clearly a better choice.

This reminds me of Toyota's first years with the Prius. It's a Hybrid! The problem was it had worse fuel economy than their equivalent non Hybrid car. I'm guessing the same would be true here if you didn't have the solar to offset some of the electrical conversion loss.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:28 PM   #228
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDW View Post
A Silent 64 (the only Silent 64) did cross the Atlantic (by the shortest possible route) in 2018. According to the captain, they only used 340 gallons of diesel (in their electric boat) to do it.
They also said they did it with lots of sun, something David ESS insists is not required on a solar powered vessel.

Quote:
.and one crossed the Atlantic in really stormy weather with no sun. .
Zero evidence to support his claim though.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:37 PM   #229
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
I did find a YouTube video of the 64' version of the boat doing a hopscotch crossing of the Atlantic.

I'm at a loss for why a Hybrid crossing has any significance. It's basically a diesel electric boat with energy storage that can be supplemented with solar. From the captain's description, it's pretty obvious that the crossing wasn't possible without fossil fuel providing a significant amount of the energy.

If the objective is to reduce the consumption of fossil fuel, a sailboat is clearly a better choice.

This reminds me of Toyota's first years with the Prius. It's a Hybrid! The problem was it had worse fuel economy than their equivalent non Hybrid car. I'm guessing the same would be true here if you didn't have the solar to offset some of the electrical conversion loss.

Ted
I dunno, I'm impressed. 2200 nms and 340 gals diesel for a 64 footer. Granted he had following seas so not sure he could return, but would probably figure it out. I couldn't quote understand how long it took him - I heard 17 days but not sure if that was just the long leg from azores to Barbados. If so, that's pretty slow going. About 5-1/4 kts with a push from following seas.

Thanks for finding this and sharing.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:40 PM   #230
Scraping Paint

Quote:

Ted
First it was a matter that nobody said hybrids were the answer to cruising, now you cannt see any significance in corroborating what some here said wasnt true,.....that they exist,,,that at least one has crossed the atlantic(ive recently discover at leastvone more has). How do you think the above one would have done had it been sunny instead of stormy without sun? Some even doubted they could put such battery packs in these boats. That some have learned that it has been done means their l earning that here is significant.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:45 PM   #231
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
They also said they did it with lots of sun, something David ESS insists is not required on a solar powered vessel.

Zero evidence to support his claim though.
The capt said one week of solid rain, no sun.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #232
Scraping Paint

Whoops, belay that last comment...I just saw who it was.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:50 PM   #233
Guru

Quote:
First it was a matter that nobody said hybrids were the answer to cruising, now you cannt see any significance in corroborating what some here said wasnt true,.....that they exist,,,that at least one has crossed the atlantic(ive recently discover at leastvone more has). How do you think the above one would have done had it been sunny instead of stormy without sun? Some even doubted they could put such battery packs in these boats. That some have learned that it has been done means their l earning that here is significant.
Nobody said it wasn't true. They asked for a citation. What you were saying was all over the map and didn't have the ring of truth. You got lucky. After 100 posts, someone finally bailed you out and did what you should have done in the first place. You want people to believe you? Post a citation.

BTW - still no takers telling me i portrayed you inaccurately.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #234
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Quote:
I never said they didn't exist, and I thought the original point was that they weren't commercially viable as a production boat, kind of like the Spruce Goose.

It would be interesting to see if you took the same boat and optimized it for small diesel engines and 5 knot cruise speed, if the fuel consumption would be even double. As a point of comparison, my inefficient hull with way to big an engine for a 5 knot cruise, gets about 7 miles to the gallon at 5 knots.

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 09:16 PM   #235
Scraping Paint

Quote:
I never said they didn't exist, and I thought the original point was that they weren't commercially viable as a production boat, kind of like the Spruce Goose.

It would be interesting to see if you took the same boat and optimized it for small diesel engines and 5 knot cruise speed, if the fuel consumption would be even double. As a point of comparison, my inefficient hull with way to big an engine for a 5 knot cruise, gets about 7 miles to the gallon at 5 knots.

Ted
You cant know how "commercially viable"...anything will be.....boat plame, car, bicycle. Electric boats like those aforementioned are optimized for solar power, and have gensets as backups, which they mostly dont need in sunny places, where most boaters prefer to be.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:27 PM   #236
Guru

Quote:
The capt said one week of solid rain, no sun.
Did he?

How do you explain this?

Attached Thumbnails
Annotation 2020-12-24 132603.jpg  
Old 12-23-2020, 09:30 PM   #237
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Did he?

How do you explain this?

Arent you one of the resident..........oh yeah.
Old 12-23-2020, 09:33 PM   #238
Guru

Quote:
Arent you one of the resident..........oh yeah.
So again, you have nothing.
It must suck being you
Old 12-24-2020, 12:48 AM   #239
DDW
Guru

City: San Francisco
I'm not really seeing D.E. responses as he is now on Ignore, but:

2000 miles in 17 days is a bit under 5 knots. In trades with a following wind and sea. Burning 340 gallons. Certainly doesn't qualify as an electric crossing. That particular crossing has been done many times on beach cats, wind surfers, kayaks, and boats as small as 6'. That cat had a lot of superstructure and windage, I wonder how many more days it would have been with no motor at all. In the ARC rally, the faster sailboats cross from the Canaries to the Windwards (a considerably longer passage) in 8 days when conditions are good, as they have appeared to have been, using zero gallons.
DDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2020, 03:32 AM   #240
Guru

Yea, I've put him on ignore too. Didn't know the feature existed. Never had a slightest need before

However, I wish this Silent 64 boat had come up on its own thread without the wildly accusational, confrontational and condescending attitude of the gleefully fact-free Mr. Ess. Sure, there are many holes to be poked into the crossing (including the startling lack of video given its 2018 and a self-proclaimed "world record" promotional event), and I'd sure like to see her go the other direction across the Atlantic, but there is much that grabs my interest in this boat. There was recently an owner of a Hatt 65-ish foot boat seeking to cross from Europe to the US with 1200 gals diesel and felt need for bladder and still wasn't perfectly comfortable with range, and rightfully so. 340 gallons for a 64 foot boat on a 2200 nm crossing impresses me. This is not an end, but a beginning, and not a bad one at that. It's a good looking boat with a nice minimalist style that many like.

Eventually, boats like this will find a market. They won't be passagemakers anytime soon, but will occasionally do PR stunt passages to allay range anxiety fears in the general market of boaters, the vast majority of whom rarely go more than 50 nms in a day. Might be an interesting choice for a Looper.

Too bad this got mired in a death-of-a-thousand-papercuts thread that meandered from gas or electric cooker, to gas is dangerous, to electric is great, to all the great builders are installing electric, and so on.

Oh well. At least I learned some valuable information. "Ignore" button being chief amongst them.

Happy holidays to all who are still around on this thread.

Peter