Old 12-23-2020, 07:02 PM   #181
Scraping Paint

City: Niagara Falls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Post the link or it didn't happen.

Remember, you claim no sun , not once but twice now, so obviously it used genset
Specs say they carry enough fuel to generate 300 miles approx, far from enough to cross the Atlantic
Arent you one of the guys that said these boats didn't even exist?
David Ess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:05 PM   #182
Guru

City: Queensland
Vessel Model: Milkraft 60 converted timber prawn trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ess View Post
Arent you one of the guys that said these boats didn't even exist?
Am I?
You're telling the story
Post a link.
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:11 PM   #183
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Am I?
You're telling the story
Post a link.
Guess you mightvhavecbeen one of those. Lets wait to see if anybody bothers to look it up, not only that theyvexist, but that a Silent yacht has crossed the Atlantic, from Spain to Florida. ITMT, I wont bother wasting anymore time on frivolous guys. But......if you ever find out the dimensions of a 110 litium battery pack, as discussed above, then DO get back to me.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:15 PM   #184
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Sooooooo, getting back to the subject. Does anyone use and or have an opinion on a convection/microwave oven on your boat?
Old 12-23-2020, 07:19 PM   #185
Scraping Paint

OMG, and this site too, doesnt tell us what this 210 battery pack's dimensions are, yet fit into a 55 foot boat!
https://www.mgenergysystems.eu/2020/...lar-ingenuity/
Old 12-23-2020, 07:21 PM   #186
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
This is getting humorous. A troll makes a wild ass claim, then gets pissed when someone won't find the link for him. And gets accusatory when he asks a crazy question on a specification (battery size) on a boat he's hyping.

Keep going David. You're on a roll.

Just curious, how do you make your living? These are some pretty outlandish claims your making.

Hey.....wait a minute, you don't happen to be suddenly "retired" come January 21st, are you?
Old 12-23-2020, 07:30 PM   #187
Guru

So how exactly does this thing cross an ocean? It has 210 kwh of battery capacity but has 2x 250kw electric motors meaning it could suck the batteries dry in under a half hour at its top speed of 17 kts

It has 30 solar panels, or around 10kw of potential on a good day, or around 50 kwh for each day on average. So on any given day, it will replenish 25% of its batteries.

These numbers just don't add up. This puppy is a harbor queen. Dang nice one, but a harbor queen.

Peter

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20201223-192445.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	111794
Old 12-23-2020, 07:35 PM   #188
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
If you can only get a through water speed (not actual ground speed) of 100 miles per day, on average, how many storms per crossing do you get hammered by because you can't get out of the way?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 07:40 PM   #189
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by O C Diver View Post
If you can only get a through water speed (not actual ground speed) of 100 miles per day, on average, how many storms per crossing do you get hammered by because you can't get out of the way?

Ted
I thought of that too. If you watch the video I posted, the announcer guy expressed quiet skepticism on the range during the last 60 seconds. About halfway through the review, they show the gauges and energy consumption at 7 kts. The numbers simply do not add up.

Only good news is if you tried to cross an ocean, you'd probably run out of battery before you were outside Vessel Assist range.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:43 PM   #190
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvweebles View Post
So how exactly does this thing cross an ocean? It has 210 kwh of battery capacity but has 2x 250kw electric motors meaning it could suck the batteries dry in under a half hour at its top speed of 17 kts

It has 30 solar panels, or around 10kw of potential on a good day, or around 50 kwh for each day on average. So on any given day, it will replenish 25% of its batteries.

These numbers just don't add up. This puppy is a harbor queen. Dang nice one, but a harbor queen.

Peter

Attachment 111794
Boats use less energy when travelling at slower speeds. Are you one of those who said electric boats didnt exist?
Old 12-23-2020, 07:47 PM   #191
Guru

Who said electric boats don't exist? Codger, one of our beloved TF members recently sold his beautiful OA 42 and replaced it with a Duffy electric boat and he loves it. He posted a recent picture of himself at the helm - his ears were pinned back he was smiling so hard.

You sure pick a lot of fights. Do you have a close family member like a wife you can bring to the forum? If like to ask a few questions.
Old 12-23-2020, 07:57 PM   #192
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Who said electric boats don't exist? Codger, one of our beloved TF members recently sold his beautiful OA 42 and replaced it with a Duffy electric boat and he loves it. He posted a recent picture of himself at the helm - his ears were pinned back he was smiling so hard.

You sure pick a lot of fights. Do you have a close family member like a wife you can bring to the forum? If like to ask a few questions.
See my message about not bothering with frivolous messages anymore. But glad you axknowledge electric/hybrid boats exist. In fact you have also seen that study from Bremen U in Germany about them.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:02 PM   #193
Guru

City: Fort Myers, FL... Summers in the Great Lakes
Vessel Name: Slow Hand
Vessel Model: Cherubini Independence 45
Having just finished reading this thread, one of the points that seems to appear over and over is how you have to make compromises with electric on <50' boats. On a friend's 42 Krogen, 3 pots on the propane cooktop and a leg of lamb in the oven wasn't a big deal. With most electric it's maybe 2 pots on the cooktop OR the oven in use.

If hybrid boats are the answer for long distance cruising, why do you have to travel at the speed of a SLOW sailboat if your hull is a fast catamaran?

Ted
"Slow Hand" by The Pointer Sisters
O C Diver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2020, 08:07 PM   #194
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Having just finished reading this thread, one of the points that seems to appear over and over is how you have to make compromises with electric on <50' boats. On a friend's 42 Krogen, 3 pots on the propane cooktop and a leg of lamb in the oven wasn't a big deal. With most electric it's maybe 2 pots on the cooktop OR the oven in use.

If hybrid boats are the answer for long distance cruising, why do you have to travel at the speed of a SLOW sailboat if your hull is a fast catamaran?

Ted
I dont remember anybody saying hybrid boats are 'the answer', to long distance cruising. But I made the bold and controversial comment that a 110 KwH litium battery pack can fit into a 55 foot boat. Some denied it, I proved such boats already exist, some denied that too.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:08 PM   #195
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116
Quote:
Ted
Finally, a valid reason for a propane stove top and oven. Thank you.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:11 PM   #196
Guru

Quote:
See my message about not bothering with frivolous messages anymore. But glad you axknowledge electric/hybrid boats exist. In fact you have also seen that study from Bremen U in Germany about them.
The only acknowledge two things. First, electric powered powerboats of liveaboard size are impractical except for novelty use. Second, you're an odd duck. Bless your heart!

I urge you to buy one of these long range electric boats and cross an ocean. I swear, I'll take back every word of you make it.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:12 PM   #197
Scraping Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
Finally, a valid reason for a propane stove top and oven. Thank you.
Wrong, his conclusion is based on a false assumption. He doesnt mention the solar or battery capacity, but just assumes it cant be enough.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #198
Guru

Quote:
I dont remember anybody saying hybrid boats are 'the answer', to long distance cruising. But I made the bold and controversial comment that a 110 KwH litium battery pack can fit into a 55 foot boat. Some denied it, I proved such boats already exist, some denied that too.
"bold and controversial?" How about "obnoxious and ill-informed?"

Seriously, no one said anything of the sort. Are sure you're not suddenly unemployed January 21sf and just plunking this thread?
Old 12-23-2020, 08:14 PM   #199
Scraping Paint

Quote:
The only acknowledge two things. First, electric powered powerboats of liveaboard size are impractical except for novelty use. Second, you're an odd duck. Bless your heart!

I urge you to buy one of these long range electric boats and cross an ocean. I swear, I'll take back every word of you make it.
^^^^"odd duck", by a guy who made false statements about me above, and when challenged, couldn't show what you claimed I said.
Old 12-23-2020, 08:19 PM   #200
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft Catalina 381
Quote:

Yes, unless you've got a pretty robust electrical system, an electric galley can be limiting. On any boat with less than a 6kw genset and not at least 2x 30A inlets (preferably a 50A 125/250), cooking as you describe would be somewhere between a challenge and impossible. Generally the point of adequate power availability happens anywhere in the 35 - 50 foot range, depending on the boat.

This is one of the reasons I say gas vs electric galley depends somewhat on your cooking style, as that determines just how much electrical infrastructure you need. And also why electric galleys make sense on some boats, but not others (as some already have the infrastructure to support it without much change, while others would require more work to support electric cooking).

Using my boat as an example, the stove has 3x 1100w burners, so 3300w if all 3 are on at the same time (they're coils, so they cycle rather than running at reduced power when turned down). Swap my microwave for a convection oven combo unit. The most likely unit I'm considering swapping in draws 1650 watts in oven mode.

So rounding up slightly, we're drawing 5kw to run all 3 burners and the oven. My 6.5kw genset will keep up with enough headroom to run the battery charger, some lights, etc. But you'd want to turn off the water heater. On shore power, it would be a non-issue, as the stove and microwave/oven are on separate legs. So out of 6kw available on each 50A leg, you're drawing 3.3kw on leg one (leaves enough for battery charger, water heater, and some headroom). And we're drawing 1.7kw on leg 2, leaving enough to run 2 of the 3 A/C units with some headroom.

But my boat was built with an electric galley in mind, so it's got a bit more power on board than some its size. Even at 38 feet, it's got two 50A 125V legs on the panel.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote