Cabin flooring - replacing carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tiz

I have removed the interior carpet on our 2001 390. Now the search begins for teak/Holley synthetic -vinyl flooring to replace the carpet. Forward cabin, guest cabin, hallway and stairs.

Wondering 1) if anyone has done this and your experience, products, sources videos, etc and 2) possible installers in Connecticut (Shelton ct at the moment).

—Kevin

I made up snap in Infinity woven vinyl flooring. Purchased off Amazon. Not hard to do and really easy to clean. Second boat I have done this on. Not slippery like vinyl flooring can be and easy to replace in the future. Saved thousands over the quote I received. I have not tackled the stairs yet.

Kevin
Here's the link to what I dud / used for the fwd cabin.
Very satisfied, not too difficult as a DIY.
I really like the feel of the cushion layer under the vinyl... wish our saloon had it as well. For odd shapes & cuts I'd recommend patterning & considering having the factory cut it. Glad I did that in my fwd cabin as there are few straight lines and no 90° corners. Next best is pattern and do cutting yourself.

Pm me if you have specific questions to be sure I see it.
My Bacchus website has several Maibship project write-ups.

Last edited:
Kevin
Here's the link to what I dud / used for the fwd cabin.
Very satisfied, not too difficult as a DIY.
I really like the feel of the cushion layer under the vinyl... wish our saloon had it as well. For odd shapes & cuts I'd recommend patterning & considering having the factory cut it. Glad I did that in my fwd cabin as there are few straight lines and no 90° corners. Next best is pattern and do cutting yourself.

Pm me if you have specific questions to be sure I see it.
My Bacchus website has several Maibship project write-ups.

I used the bacchus link and find your page, but no interior/fwd flooring project. Lots of great projects there. You’re ambitious!

Ready: we’re going with teak/holly vinyl if at all possible. Thanks anyway.

—Kevin

I used the bacchus link and find your page, but no interior/fwd flooring project. Lots of great projects there. You’re ambitious!

Ready: we’re going with teak/holly vinyl if at all possible. Thanks anyway.

—Kevin
Kevin
My apologies... forgot to attach the TF link for that project. Haven't gotten around to adding it to my website.

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46119

[FONT=&quot]When I changed from carpet to wood flooring (3/8 inch prefinished Jatoba (Brazilian Cherry) or poor man's teak) The finish was installed at the factory and has held up extremely well. Initially I wanted to install Amtico vinyl plank but the cost was just over 5 times the amount to install the Jatoba. I have some wood working skills so I did install the wood flooring but the Amtico installation still including me doing the prep work and installing the underlayment.. I did this a few years ago and the floor still looks the same.[/FONT]

Attachments

• IMG_1865 (2).jpg
    IMG_1865 (2).jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 46
  • salon before (2).jpg
    salon before (2).jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 34
Bacchus- thanks!! Your subfloor was fiberglass? Mine is wood with some hard angles between flat floor and side edges where floor meets hull. Might need a solution to make those more gradual.

Ka_se_ta- amazing. Wish i had wood skills but im saddled with a measure twice, cut it wrong anyway skill set.

--kevin

Kevin
A few pics might prompt some ideas.
Yes my fwd cabin is fiberglas subfloor. Cleanup of old carpet adhesive was a chore but could break it up in manageable pieces.

Pulling up my salon carpet and putting in engineered "snap" flooring. Couple O' questions;

Hoping adhesive will not be too tenuous. Scrape away or is there a more civilized means of adhesive removal?

I assume I will install a cushioning mat between fiberglass floor and new flooring. Any suggestion as to mat thickness?

Thanks in advance.

Pulling up my salon carpet and putting in engineered "snap" flooring. Couple O' questions;

Hoping adhesive will not be too tenuous. Scrape away or is there a more civilized means of adhesive removal?

I assume I will install a cushioning mat between fiberglass floor and new flooring. Any suggestion as to mat thickness?

Thanks in advance.

I found a heat gun and stiff / sharp scraper worked well... better than solvent or trying course sandpaper. I could then do final cleanup with sander or solvent where necessary.
The PkasTeak cushion / pad seemed to work very well for me but my top layer could flex giving a fairly soft feel to the combo. I would guess with engineered flooring you won't get much flex or safer feel. Are you simply looking to take up any variation in the subfloor or provide insulation?

I found a heat gun and stiff / sharp scraper worked well... better than solvent or trying course sandpaper. I could then do final cleanup with sander or solvent where necessary.
The PkasTeak cushion / pad seemed to work very well for me but my top layer could flex giving a fairly soft feel to the combo. I would guess with engineered flooring you won't get much flex or safer feel. Are you simply looking to take up any variation in the subfloor or provide insulation?

Thanks for the heat gun/scraper tip. Until I pull the carpet back I will not know what variations there will be if at all. And I just thought it would be a damper between hard fiberglass and hard new floor with insulation as a side benefit as well.

Thanks for the heat gun/scraper tip. Until I pull the carpet back I will not know what variations there will be if at all. And I just thought it would be a damper between hard fiberglass and hard new floor with insulation as a side benefit as well.
PlasTeak will send a sample to review the cushion. Using the PlasTeak and cushion and having them cut both to my pattern I was able to eliminate the need to install trim molding around a hatch. Theyvadvused / and I did use a colored Sharpie to darken the whiteish edge of the pad to minimize any visibility.
The factory cutting to my pattern was excellent and the gap VERY small.

I used Lonwood teak and holly eight years ago and still looks like new. We have a dog also.

I am currently in the process of replacing the carpet on my Camano 31. I'm using Nautikflor which is made in Switzerland and boat specific. Fully waterproof, click together and fairly easy to install with good anti slip qualities. I purchased it from Defender which had the best price I could find. I brought the engine hatches home so I had my table saw available for doing the maple trim and then reinstalled them for laying the floor.
Sorry for the sideways pictures. Not sure how to fix that.

Attachments

• IMG_4695.jpg
    IMG_4695.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4699.jpg
    IMG_4699.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4700.jpg
    IMG_4700.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4701.jpg
    IMG_4701.jpg
    172 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_4703.jpg
    IMG_4703.jpg
    164.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4710.jpg
    IMG_4710.jpg
    191.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4712.jpg
    IMG_4712.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4713.jpg
    IMG_4713.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 14
Flooring

How did you address the floor hatches? I would like to replace the carpet on my salon, but I'm not sure how to cover the hatches without scratching and damaging the edges when opening and closing.

Thanks for any input.

Ron
390 Mainship
Mystic CT

The maple trim I made has a 3/4" overlap of the floor. I laid the flooring with about a 1/16" gap so the maple wouldn't catch on it. I still have to route out the space for the lift rings to sit. The beveled edge in the photo was cut off so it would fit flush with the floor surface.

Attachments

• IMG_4819.jpg
    IMG_4819.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 11
We did our 38 Bayliner with teak and holly half inch plywood and couldn’t be happier. The finish is seven coats of SeaFin wet sanded in so the pours in the wood get filled creating a smooth finish. That part sounds like more work than it was.
The pictures were taken in process.

Attachments

• 9CF897D0-FE4E-4465-9EF8-0E5C6002CC4B.jpg
    9CF897D0-FE4E-4465-9EF8-0E5C6002CC4B.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 0F24849F-4FC5-43F5-B0A8-E39532EED652.jpg
    0F24849F-4FC5-43F5-B0A8-E39532EED652.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 21
We considered using the teak and holly plywood, it looks great. The worry we had is with 2 dogs on the boat it would get scratched and I don't think the veneer will stand more than 1 sanding.

Hypothetically:
* Is the product flammable/inflammable?
* What would it need to catch fire?
* What does it need to continue to burn?
* What equipment and supplies are required to stop its fire after it is burning?
* On the negligible-to-fatal scale, how do the fumes from its fire impact your ability to stop its fire?

Hypothetically:
* Is the product flammable/inflammable?
* What would it need to catch fire?
* What does it need to continue to burn?
* What equipment and supplies are required to stop its fire after it is burning?
* On the negligible-to-fatal scale, how do the fumes from its fire impact your ability to stop its fire?

If your referring to the Nautikflor I don't have those answers, but I'm sure you could find them on their website.

We don’t have a dog of our own but one of our kids has the boat dog. There have been zero problems with scratches from the dog and only one easily fixed one from me. I’m finding Seafin to be very robust and resistant to scratching. With the seven coats (I started with five) the floor is really resistant to gathering dirt and grit with just minor watching what we walk in with.
As I moved from five coats to seven, the pours in the wood filled almost completely with rubbing it in with 400 grit wet or dry. We have a stick vac that takes careful of the dog hair and those things that find the floor. We went with the plywood after looking at the deck that the carpet was hiding and realized that fairing the floor flat enough to use a luxury vinyl was a fool’s errand.

I have the NautikFlor, purchased as EZ Boat Sole from PlasTeak. It didn't come with any type of data sheet that addresses this. But, I assume that it is flammable, produces poisonous gases when burning, and is extinguishable via common extinguishers.

Ive had good luck with it w.r.t. everyday wear. But, I've had to replace some pieces near my engine hatches where the corners have scratched it when mishandled by the yard.

Ok folks, we decided to forget about vinyl flooring of any kind and replace the old beat carpet with new pad and carpet with stain and wear guarantees.

So, does anyone know of any installers serving south-central Connecticut?

--Kevin

Ok folks, we decided to forget about vinyl flooring of any kind and replace the old beat carpet with new pad and carpet with stain and wear guarantees.

So, does anyone know of any installers serving south-central Connecticut?

--Kevin

Call your local independent carpet shops or flooring contractors. They install all day every day. No great mystery installing on a boat. There will be more cutting and detail work but no big deal for a pro.

Rob

Agree, I just started calling local shops and asking if they did boats. A couple of calls and I got the same recommendations. And they did an excellent job, so good that when we remodeled our bathroom we had them do it and all the carpet in the house.

Carpet is on the list for our boat also. I've done some "poking around" and I got poked.

I think the carpet (inside, saloon and steps to the master) is regular house stuff with regular pad.

I think I got poked by a nail from a tack strip that is all along the edges. If true would be really cool as removing it will be easy compared to scraping off glued on stuff - :)

Tack strips aren't super uncommon. The carpet in my boat is stapled padding and tack strips for the carpet.

Thanks!

Cool, good to know. I was looking at all the "marine carpeting" on the internet and it all looked like "boat carpet" that you see on outboard boats.

Made me wonder as the stuff in the Gypsy looks like house carpet and is soft and cushy like house carpet. Yeah, that will make it a lot easier.

Ours was glued down and it was a PITA to get up. I ripped it out and the carpet guys said I saved about $1,400 bu DIY. They did glue down the new household carpet and it is great.

No reason not to use a good quality "home" carpet. What will make the installation is high quality padding.

If worried about tracking in water, ask the tech to cut and bind a leftover piece to use as a doormat. You can also buy binding tape online and do it yourself

Rob

Back
Top Bottom