Cabin flooring - replacing carpet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks. I got a couple of local places to check with. Good ideas here.

--Kevin

Kevin,

I thought In posted this earlier but don't see it. Try this place in Milford. Tell the owner "Buddy" that Bob and Paula sent you.

https://www.ultint.com/

One thing to remember is to buy the best quality carpet you can find. The relatively small areas in a boat means increased traffic in small areas so you want the carpet to stand up to the traffic. This isn’t a place to save a few bucks and then need to replace it again in a couple of years.

One thing to remember is to buy the best quality carpet you can find. The relatively small areas in a boat means increased traffic in small areas so you want the carpet to stand up to the traffic. This isn’t a place to save a few bucks and then need to replace it again in a couple of years.

Dave,

You know better than me, but in my experience putting carpeting in previous boats, not sure I agree with you on this. On a boat you are often barefoot or at least with clean boat shoes. The amount of traffic is a lot less than daily walking on of a house hallway for instance. I agree it's never wise to go with the cheapeast option on anything for your boat, but I don't think the carpet should see a lot of wear and tear. Carpeting in my boats always looked new for years.

We had new carpet installed a few years ago along with the other soft goods on the boat.

The carpet edges were bound and the carpet lays in place nicely. No glue or tack strips, so it's easy to remove if needed.

I'd get the good stuff if it were me. My entire boat, less a few areas that we left bare (teak and holly) couldn't be more than a couple hundred square feet. The material cost was insignificant compared to the labor.

I was out again today doing the usual upkeep, repairs and replacement and grabbed the carpet in 3 locations middle of the room and all rose up easy.

Woo-hoo!

Lift that sucker up and give it to the pros for a template! Should mitigate cost much.

Now just have to find a place that does boats and discuss what I've found - :)

My Fwd cabin & entryway leading to it were carpet glued down.
I wanted the carpet gone but If I were replacing the carpet I would never glue it down and create the same problem for future replacement.
I would make a template, cut the carpet and have it bound. I have used double sided carpet tape and it sticks very securely. IMO use of the tape would only be necessary around the edges and any transitions. If using a pad same for the pad attachment and then carpet can be secured to the pad with more tape or glue... just so removal is EZ.

When I did my last boat a few years ago, I put in a "pet friendly" carpet with a plastic liner, the idea being it wouldn't absorb water. I also chose a speckled mix pattern that hides dirt.

Back
Top Bottom