Boot stripe Mainship 350/390

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jclays

Vessel Name
Freebird
Vessel Make
1997 Mainship 350
Has anyone repainted their boot stripe on the 350/390? Is it paint or a decal?

A big tape on my 30 Pilot II.

Tape here too. I've put new tape over old tape on another boat in the past and it worked out great. Wasn't a bootstripe but another hull stripe, essentially the same thing.

Tape here too. I've put new tape over old tape on another boat in the past and it worked out great. Wasn't a bootstripe but another hull stripe, essentially the same thing.

I didn't know you could put tape over tape, but it sure would be easier than removing the old tape. Has it held up OK?

I didn't know you could put tape over tape, but it sure would be easier than removing the old tape. Has it held up OK?

It worked perfectly, but I can't say for sure how it compares to yours. You could always try it on a small section and see what you think. For me it was an Island Packet sailboat. They have about a 1" gold stripe near the top of the hull away from the waterline, not that it doesn't still get wet. I bought the tape from Island Packet and it covered the old tape perfectly and never had a problem for years that I owned it. Similar to pic below

Attachments

• ip.jpg
    ip.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 72
Now that I think about it, I also painted the bootstripe on that same sailboat. It should be easy enough to tell if you have paint or tape. Mine was paint for the boot on that boat. The consensus here seems to be tape for Mainship. I know mine is.

It worked perfectly, but I can't say for sure how it compares to yours. You could always try it on a small section and see what you think. For me it was an Island Packet sailboat. They have about a 1" gold stripe near the top of the hull away from the waterline, not that it doesn't still get wet. I bought the tape from Island Packet and it covered the old tape perfectly and never had a problem for years that I owned it. Similar to pic below

Thanks. I'm in the process of redoing the stripes on the side of my FB. They are tape and a bear to get off. I ended up using a pinstripe removal wheel.

Man are they hard to get on straight though. It's a good thing they are cheap, I've had to redo them twice and I've only finished one side.

Thanks. I'm in the process of redoing the stripes on the side of my FB. They are tape and a bear to get off. I ended up using a pinstripe removal wheel.

Man are they hard to get on straight though. It's a good thing they are cheap, I've had to redo them twice and I've only finished one side.

Not sure what that tool is. Did you try a heat gun? Worst removal job I ever did was removing some of those adhesive flowers they used to put on the floor of bathtubs in the 60's. Impervious to all chemicals. Heat gun and a lot of elbow grease was the only way to loosen them.

Not sure what that tool is. Did you try a heat gun? Worst removal job I ever did was removing some of those adhesive flowers they used to put on the floor of bathtubs in the 60's. Impervious to all chemicals. Heat gun and a lot of elbow grease was the only way to loosen them.

It's sort of like an eraser on a wheel you use in a drill. Removes the stripe without marring the surface below it, auto body guys use them all the time. Linky:
https://www.amazon.com/SATC-Removal...675&sprefix=pinstripe+removal+,aps,268&sr=8-4

My boat has a 2" Navy stripe above a .75" metallic stripe, which was most likely gold, but mine is so faded and cracked it is hard to tell. The heat gun (which I tried first) worked pretty well on the small gold stripe but barely worked t all on the blue one. The wheel took it off much, much quicker and cleaner. Plus with a heat gun and scraper there is the concern of too much heat and scratching the gel coat.

I will try putting a strip of new tape over the old one as you suggest and see how it does. I know I will have to remove the gold stripe though as it is too rough for the new stripe to stick to.

The boot stripe on the Mainship 350 and 390's are vinyl with adhesive backing. A heat gun will work, a pinstripe wheel will work, a razor blade (followed by compounding) will work, as will any combination of the above.

putting vinyl adhesive over existing vinyl adhesive will work in many cases, but not something I would risk. Anywhere the old stripe is missing is going to show through. Anywhere where the adhesive let's go on the original stripe, will lift the stripe above it as well. The result will leave a much prouder edge at the top by doubling the thickness and it's tough to get them lined up perfect.

I would personally, completely remove the old stripe, make sure all mold release, wax and adhesive is completely removed, then install the new stripe.

If using a heat gun, you can try a ceramic scraper. A plastic one will soften from the heat. A ceramic one is less likely to gouge the gelcoat than a metal one would. Try Amazon

My boot stripe is in good shape I just hate green on a boat. I’ll test if tape or paint . I have a short turn around haul out in June. Paint or vinyl I will light sand with 600 wet n dry yo give tooth, tape off and roll on 2 coats of black paint for a new boot stripe

Back
Top Bottom