Old 06-01-2020, 01:54 PM   #1

City: Crystal River
Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot
Which is the best dinghy ?

I have a 34' Mainship Pilot Trawler. I believe the beam is 12'3". It has a small dive platform across the back. I am interested in any recommendation of which dinghy would work best for this boat. Any suggestions?
tisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:57 PM   #2
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
To some extent, it depends on how you plan to use the dinghy. How many people does it need to carry? How much stuff? Do you care how fast it can go? Do you plan to row or will you have an outboard on it?
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:59 PM   #3

City: Crystal River
Vessel Name: Dolce Vita
Vessel Model: 34 Mainship Pilot
dinghy

Will most likely have 2-3 people in general. Main use to and from shore, but also fishing and or snorkeling. I plan on using a motor.
tisho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:28 PM   #4
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Name: Circuit Breaker
Vessel Model: 2021..22' Duffy Cuddy cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tisho View Post
I have a 34' Mainship Pilot Trawler. I believe the beam is 12'3". It has a small dive platform across the back. I am interested in any recommendation of which dinghy would work best for this boat. Any suggestions?
My boat's beam is 14.6' and my dinghy is 10.4'. Below are a few photos that show the dinghy to boat's beam relationship. It's hard to tell from the photos what actual room I have without going beyond the beam of the mother ship. Including the motor, it aint much!
Attached Thumbnails
boat & dinghy.jpg   Dinghy tied to swim platform.jpg  
Old 06-01-2020, 02:29 PM   #5
Guru

City: Oconto, WI
Vessel Name: Best Alternative
Vessel Model: 36 Albin Aft Cabin
You are trying to cram an awfully onto/into a 34 foot boat. About the maximum length of a dinghy for your boat will be 10 feet of less. You want to leave some room on the swim platform for swimming, boarding, etc.

A 10 foot dink with three people on board and a motor is probably overloaded. Likewise a dinghy that small is almost impossible to get into from the water if you are snorkeling.

You might want to consider towing, it will allow you a larger dinghy.

pete
Pete Meisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:31 PM   #6
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
That's a good point, a lot of boats narrow some at the transom. My boat has a 14 foot beam, but it's only about 12.5 or 13 feet at deck level at the transom. Swim platform is only 11 feet wide and the waterline beam at the transom is about 11.5 feet.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
Guru

City: Cape May, NJ
Vessel Name: Irish Lady
Vessel Model: Monk 36
For 2-3 people, you will need 10 ft rhib and 10 hp minimum to plane off.
1984 Monk 36 Hull #46
Currently in Cape May, NJ
High Wire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:31 PM   #8
TF Site Team

City: California Delta
Vessel Name: FlyWright
Vessel Model: 1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I've got a 34 ft Californian and have a 3.3M/10'10" dink with 17" tubes and 2 bench seats in PVC from Costco for about $500, a Garhauer 150# rated lifting davit for $400, a 15 HP Merc OB and a $200 Garmin Striker4 Portable Fishfinder. A fixed transom motor mount holds the OB. My boat's width is about 12.5 ft and it all fits and functions well without building a sweat loading or unloading.

Sometimes I tow the dink in favorable conditions but it's a simple 5-10 minute job to lift the motor onto the mount and then the dink onto the swimstep. No special Weaver davits required.

At my home slip, it can sit on the transom (which can get in the way of fishing) or on its float in my covered slip. I like to keep the PVC dink out of the sun and water for long term storage but at $500, it's not expensive to replace every couple of years if needed...and still available at that price.

I'll add some pics soon to complete the picture.
Attached Thumbnails
dink.jpg   20200414_121040.jpg   20200325_133536.jpg   FB_IMG_1585440084658.jpg  

@DeltaBridges - 25 Delta Bridges in 25 Days
FlyWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:36 PM   #9
Guru

City: Southport, FL near Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Wire View Post
For 2-3 people, you will need 10 ft rhib and 10 hp minimum to plane off.
Question to OP, do you need or want to plane it? A couple horse power motor and a 10-foot inflatable (NOT RHIB) served us and guests for years.
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:59 PM   #10
TF Site Team

I believe if he wants to fish from it, he won't want to go 5 mph or less. I started with (and still have in storage) a great 2HP Honda that was easy to handle over the transom and lift to the FB by hand. Great motor, efficient and low maintenance but only 5 MPH.

Smaller dinks have smaller tubes and smaller tubes have wet rides.

I'm very impressed with the dry ride on my 17" tubes compared to my old Achilles 9.5 ft hypalon inflatable keel with 15" tubes.

Size matters.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:26 PM   #11
Valued Technical Contributor

City: Litchfield, Ct
I had a Pilot 34 with a Caribe 9' RIB with Weaver davits that worked well. There was just enough room on the starboard side for an outboard bracket that held my Tohatsu 9.9 O/B when not in use on the dinghy.

I had a multipart tackle than raised the dinghy up against the transom. I did have to drop the dinghy down if I wanted to open the transom door and get out on the swim platform.

A couple of pics are attached which shows a shot from from the side and another one with the dinghy raised up against the transom. You can just make out the O/B in the second pic to the right of the pile.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Bella elevation shot.jpg   Bella at our dock.jpg  
DavidM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:28 PM   #12
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I had a 10'3" Avon RIB310 hanging from davits on my Mainship 34 M1, which is about 4" less beamy than the Pilot 34 IIRC. I couldn't have gone any bigger. With a 15 hp it could plane with 3 and really scoot with one. Now have a slightly smaller lighter 10'0" and it's a better fit. Click image for larger version

Name:	MVIMG_20200601_192650.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	103249
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 08:05 PM   #13
TF Site Team

City: Paris,TN
Vessel Name: Slo-Poke
Vessel Model: Jorgensen custom 44
We have a 10 ft Trinka fiberglass with 2 hp outboard . I added a swivel seat and platform that made a huge difference. Our trawler is 32 ft .
Attached Thumbnails
BE329C97-D7FF-4D3A-9082-518CB16FDFEC.jpg   AD76368F-BB0C-4C2A-8644-746E87E380EC.jpeg   01DA3FCE-1186-4E84-80E5-B4779217CD60.jpg  
Old 06-01-2020, 09:37 PM   #14
TF Site Team

That looks great, Marty! A good fit.

I love having a seat instead of sitting on the edge of the tube in my 9.5 ft Achilles.

Old 06-01-2020, 09:50 PM   #15
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Sandpiper
Vessel Model: Bluewater 40 Pilothouse Trawler
I say get the biggest dinghy that you can safely carry. You will outgrow a smaller one quickly.

When we had the 34' Mainship, we carried a 9' Livingston on the transom with Weaver Davits. With a 54" beam the catamaran would carry 3 people easy with lots of freeboard. We had an 8HP two cycle that weighed 60# and it would get up on plane with two people.

With one person, the ride was thrilling. It went fast and would "sponson walk" around corners like a three point hydro. But it felt secure and very safe.

We had that Livingston for over 20 years, transferring it to Sandpiper when we sold the Mainship.

We carry a 12' fiberglass center console with a 4 stroke 20 hp now. Not a fan of rubber boats because it's difficult to mount down riggers and pot pullers on them.

That's not me in the picture. I have less hair and am better looking.
Attached Thumbnails
lv9b.jpg  
syjos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:27 PM   #16
Guru

City: Qualicum Beach, Vancouver Island
Vessel Name: Capricorn
Vessel Model: Mariner 30 - Sedan Cruiser 1969
A 10 foot RIB will handle roughly 1200 pounds, including motor. I don't know if you'll make it on a plane with 3 people and a 9.9 hp motor but I'm betting most of the time it will be you and one other and then the boat will definitely get on plane.

Sea Wise davits are pricey but you don't have to muscle a motor, a massive plus for me at age 72.

I have the manual Sea Wise but you can add an electric motor. I'm thinking I might be able to use a cordless electric drill.

rsn48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 12:48 AM   #17
Guru

City: Adelaide
Vessel Name: Kokanee
Vessel Model: Cuddles 30 Pilot House Motor Sailer
A dinghy is a very personal choice. A 10 foot hypalon with a 3hp 2stroke works for me for going to shore, snorkelling and fishing. It might not suit others.
AusCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:28 AM   #18

City: All over
Vessel Name: Chapter II
Vessel Model: 1972 42 foot Alloy Mfg
Was wondering if anyone ever has ever run with a dinghy on stern davits where the dinghy is longer than the stern is wide. I see blow boaters do this a lot since the stern of there boats seem to taper back to be pretty narrow. And other than for docking issues with overhang Which is really more of a control issue for the larger boat I can’t really see any issue why not to go longer. I’m not talking about a much bigger dingy but something maybe a foot overhang on either side Would seem pretty acceptable to me. I’m not seeing much of a downside but quite a bit on the upside. I like the idea of having maybe a 14 foot flats boat since I like fishing quite a bit and it seems a bit more versatile than a 10-12 foot rhib. Thoughts?
Jmarsh203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 06:30 AM   #19
Guru

City: Annapolis
Vessel Name: Ranger
Vessel Model: 58' Sedan Bridge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmarsh203 View Post
Was wondering if anyone ever has ever run with a dinghy on stern davits where the dinghy is longer than the stern is wide. I see blow boaters do this a lot since the stern of there boats seem to taper back to be pretty narrow. And other than for docking issues with overhang Which is really more of a control issue for the larger boat I can’t really see any issue why not to go longer. I’m not talking about a much bigger dingy but something maybe a foot overhang on either side Would seem pretty acceptable to me. I’m not seeing much of a downside but quite a bit on the upside. I like the idea of having maybe a 14 foot flats boat since I like fishing quite a bit and it seems a bit more versatile than a 10-12 foot rhib. Thoughts?

Our 10' RIB is about 1' less wide than our mothership's beam at the transom.

Yes, I could have gone to a slightly longer dinghy.

But yes, getting into 4-way slips and other tight places is often (even now) an exercise in "precision" (?) docking. It's especially noticeable when the fairway is relatively tiny, so we have to start backing into a slip before we're perfectly perpendicular to it. Getting off a face dock brings issues, too; we almost always have to back away, at least at first. How long the "at first" is would be dependent on how long the dinghy is.

A longer dinghy -- even only as long as our transom is wide -- would exacerbate all that. Going longer than the transom is wide would (IMO) just be adding too much work (for me) to the equation.

I think I remember that most (all?) of the difference between our 10' 4-pax RIB and the longer 5-pax 11' model is that the main tubes are extended further aft. In our case, we don't really need additional capacity, so the extended tubes would have been wasted on us.

-Chris
Old 06-02-2020, 08:15 AM   #20
Guru

City: Aventura FL
Vessel Name: Kinja
Vessel Model: American Tug 34 #116 2008
Shorter than the transom is wide so as not to catch on things. Towing, for me, is not an option. You catch the painter in the ME prop, you are dead in the water while you dive the boat to cut away the tangled line. PLUS the possibility of a collateral damage to the prop and shaft and rudder. Some folks maintain they always pull the RIB close to the swim platform. It only takes once to disable your boat for a while usually in a very inconvenient/dangerous time.
Size of motor, be reasonable. I think my 10 fiber glass bottom RIB is rated for something close to 20hp. I opted for 6.9hp Honda.... I can actually pick the motor up. Plus, me in a RIB with a 20hp, just ain’t going to happen. I’d get more speeding ticket than I can afford. LOL