Bent Rudder

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My first inclination when I read the title was the bending in the rudder was more of a permanent "trim" setting so the boat tracks straight under power (counteracts torque). It very similar to the trim setting on a outboard. If you look at the rudder on my Nordic in the attached picture you will notice the thicker portion of the rudder at the end. That thicker portion is all on the right side of the center line of the rudder in effect giving it a 3/4" or more bend to the right. That's not to say there isn't some type of damage to the rudder post, but the bend in the rudder may be normal.

Tom

Looks like rudder shaft has an upper support bearing on the table above the gland. That would make it much less likely that the gland to hull joint got overstressed. Photos do not freak me out much, looks pretty typical. Cracked gel coat, stains from leaks, etc.

Looks like rudder shaft has an upper support bearing on the table above the gland. That would make it much less likely that the gland to hull joint got overstressed. Photos do not freak me out much, looks pretty typical. Cracked gel coat, stains from leaks, etc.

Hi Ski,

Take a closer look at the upper bearing bolts (enlarged photo). One is pulled out a 1/4" (port aft) and another is missing (starboard forward). Maybe nothing, but would have a more thorough inspection if it was my money.

http://www.easyfunfinder.com/pics/rudder.jpg

Todd

I am just a lay person, but it is evident considerable force was absorbed by the assembly. The longitudinal cracks in the gel coat could be from overly which application, but the cracks around the bolts indicate impact damage (to me).

Good picture (of your concerns)...

Those are stress cracks. It means it flexed. We already know it had enough pressure to bend the rudder so not terribly surprising. Curvatures are usually thicker than thin. I don't know, would not get my heart rate up. As others mentioned, it already proves that the bent rudder will cause a perception issue. Negotiate a rudder repair. It would not prevent me from heading out into some waves. I might do a little tapping around to make sure everything is solid, but would not expect anything. Pay someone to re-spray some gel before you sell it so it does not get discussed again.

I do see all the stainless below the waterline. Never worked well for me. Always got crevice corrosion.

Back
Top Bottom