batteries need replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jann

gentlemen
the group 8d batteries on my 34 Mainship trawler are failing and need to be replaced

the original batteries are gel cels and cost over $1000/each.

I may not keep the ship a long time further and don't really want to spent that amount. I wondered about using new flooded type batteries which I can get for $250/each

Would appreciate your comments on this matter
Regards

You didn't mention whether these are start or house (or if like my MS both)
You certainly can go flooded lead acid if you are looking to save $.
If start you might consider a pair of GP31s which are a very close replacement for one 8D.
For house a pair of 6V GC battys will again be roughly equivalent to one 8D.
I am guessing that total $ will actually be less than the $750 and you should have batty better suited for their application... at least IMO
Sams Club Duracell are made by East Penn in USA and a decent batty and a "best buy" IMO
FLA GCs run about $90 ea so $360 for 4
Haven't looked at FLA GP 31s but guess they are about $100 ea. So for about $600 you have a replacement set and much easier to handle than those 8Ds.
All you need will be 3 short HD jumper cables to connect the pairs together.

Last edited:
we switched from 8D to GC 8 years ago. in my opinion there is no downside.

Adjust charging system

Any change to battery type requires reset of charging system. And if using echo charger for any batteries...all must be same battery technology. I would take a look at all the boat's batteries as you make this decision. Sometimes saving $$ costs more in the long run. Good luck.

I never let a FLA battery sit in a boat over four years because sometime between that and five or so years they go south. My gels run twice that or more. Consider the relative costs of more frequent FLA replacement.

I replaced my two 8d house batteries with 6 golf cart Trojan T105. They cost $104 each or $625 for all six. 7 Cables were $82. They are to wire the batteries together. I did the job myself and it was easy to do.
For less than one gel I went from 200 amp hours to around 700.
Lead acid batteries will last a long time but do require some maintenance. Keeping them topped off with water.
Keeping or selling it? I'd go colfcart 6 volts either way.

Read my article in the Library section of this forum (click on icon in upper right) on this subject.

In my 34T I had one Group 31 as a starting battery and four golf cart batteries wired series/parallel as house batteries. GCs give you the most bang for the buck and can be bought anywhere.

David

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom