Old 08-20-2018, 01:01 PM   #21

City: Whidbey Island WA
Vessel Name: Duckin' Out
Vessel Model: American Tug 34
I added the side-power remote to control bow and stern thrusters on my 50’ Trawler. They work great, especially when single handing or when I’m outside the pilothouse. nstallation was plug-and-play and took all of ten-minutes.

Willard 40
nwboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 02:13 PM   #22

City: carolina beach nc
Vessel Name: BRENDA "G"
Vessel Model: 1981 MAINSHIP
thruster

I have one and love it

wayne crews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:03 PM   #23

City: Abacos
Vessel Name: Bravo Zulu
Vessel Model: Sabre 45 SE
Yacht Controller is a lifesaver

My wife and I operate a 75’ LOA Marlow with a YC and find it to be indispensable. Before the Marlow, we put 40-50,000 NMs on a Selene 55 without such a device, but found that the larger boat with interrupted sight lines from both helms was a different matter entirely.

Mike Curreri
M/V Bravo Zulu
mikecurreri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #24
Veteran Member

City: Palatka, Florida
Vessel Name: Neeltje
Vessel Model: 1902 Dutch Tjalk
I've found the bow thruster remote very useful when bringing Neeltje's bow in with a wind off the dock, but if I've yet to use the stern one, it's because the helm is at the stern, and the inertia of a 40-ton iron barge gives you plenty of time to tie the stern lines off before it gets blown away from the dock you just slammed into...

Seriously, though, parallel parking in a breeze is a breeze with these things, no matter your freeboard or slow-mo manoeuverability. Just make sure one end of your boat is tied-off before jumping off to tie up the other.

Jacques
Jacques Burgalat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:29 PM   #25

City: Nashville,TN
Vessel Name: Free Willy
Thruster remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Also looking for any feedback on +/- of remote option.
I have Side Power thrusters (B&S) and considering adding the remote.
My thoughts... might be handy...

Planning on 3 mo Trent-Severn and Georgian Bay cruise next yr... 100+ locks plus mormal docking / anchoring in strange areas.
We are early 70's and looking to make our boating as easy as possible to keep doing it as long as possible / practical.
Would also simplify picking up bow lines at our dock vs pushing off and loooong reach w boat hook to pick up / store bow lines every time we depart / land.
Comments & experience welcome...
From other thruster users... but suspect there will be plenty w comments about learning to handle single screws!
I had a bow thruster on my 39' Mainship and in 2017 added a stern thruster. I made the purchase at the Annapolis boat show and a wireless remote was thrown in to sweeten the deal. I boat on the inland waterways and the remote allows me to control my boat without being stuck at the helm when locking through. It also comes in handy while docking and handling lines. Since it was 'free' I have no idea of the cost but if it doesn't break the bank I think it would be worth considering.
dct39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 05:42 PM   #26
Guru

City: San Diego
Vessel Model: Helmsman 4304
Interesting, I didn't realize how cheap, or easy to install these were. Winter project.
Fletcher500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:51 PM   #27
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
I put a remote on our stern thruster. Simple install.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:25 PM   #28

City: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I don't even have a thruster, but they work the same way as a windlass; the switches control a relay. You can get a wireless remote module with two remotes for about $10 on Amazon. They sell them for ATV winches and such.

Best $10 I ever spent! I clip the small remote to a belt loop when anchoring or weighing anchor. If I had a thruster, I'd buy another set (or they have remotes to control multiple devices.)
Been using the exact same thing for several years with my windlass. I also replaced the mechanical relays with solid state relays. Works great. Sure wish I had thrusters!!!
MOJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:53 PM   #29
Guru

City: Miami River
Vessel Name: Gotcha
Vessel Model: Grand Banks. Heritage. 54
To me the big advantage is having the engine controls, thrusters and windless in one small waterproof package around my neck and a rechargeable battery that you just set on flat top.

Bigsfish is offline   Reply With Quote