Another Refrigerator issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LongJohn

Vessel Name
RedBoat
Vessel Make
MS 34T
The refrigerator on my 2005 MS34T was not performing adequately. Set on maximum cool, the compressor ran continuously and it took almost 24 hours to freeze ice cubes. I pulled the refrigerator out of the cabinet and verified that the coils were clean. I glanced into the vacated cabinet and was very surprised. With a little calk, this cabinet could be airtight! BAD DESIGN! The sticker clearly demanding 30in2 of vent for both top and bottom had been ignored. After ventilating the cabinet, the refrigerator performance was much improved. Just so you know.

The refrigerator on my 2005 MS34T was not performing adequately...
After ventilating the cabinet, the refrigerator performance was much improved. Just so you know.

LongJohn...
Thanks for the info.
You didn't mention what fridge you have... we have a VitroFrigo 2 drawer unit in our 2008 34 HT.
It is a 2 drawer fridge w/o a freezer and MS did install an upper & lower vent (small but exact size?)under the galley sink.

In looking at the VitroFrigo manual I noticed that a condenser fan was optional and not sure whether mine has one or not.
I am considering adding a muffin fan in the cabinet to provide some forced ventilation and it looks like VentriFrigo has made it easy to connect into their electrical controls to run the fan only when the fridge compressor is operating.

Above is on my long list of projects / improvements but it didn't get high enough in priority this season to actually do something about it.

Thanks for the reminder & confirmation of the importance of proper ventilation.:Thanx:

My fridge is the nevercold single door unit. I preferred not to incur the additional power drain of a fan. I cut a ~4X8" hole (fits a standard home floor HVAC register) in the top rear corner of the fridge compartment. The register cover shows above the top step in the companionway. I drilled 1.5" holes across the front kickplate and through the back floor of the cabinet to create a flow path. Seems successful.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom