Old 03-30-2017, 02:52 AM   #21
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Doug,

I'm not sure the twin is a slam dunk. I could take a strong argument for either. I know a few folks that run their single 400 Mainship up on plane at about 14 or 15 knots, and that's not bad. And suspect, from what people say, that the twin may top out at 20. A bit of a difference for a 14 hour trip but overall, not huge.

We don't buy trawlers to go fast, so, I'd venture the only reason to push up the throttle is to beat weather, sun down, or marina closing. But those are valid reasons.

Yes thrusters are maintenance items, but if kept clean, they work pretty well. And a thruster is nice on a twin, too.

The twin is also a bit more agile for tight maneuvering, which can be an advantage.

Here's another thing, 3/4 of the Mainship 400s were made with singles, probably because they were popular.

Now, I'd prefer a twin, but would not turn down a good single if it came up. In fact, looking at both right now, leaning toward the single.

However, always to get good opinions and things to think about. Thx!
Old 04-04-2017, 03:53 PM   #22
Guru

City: Philadelphia
Vessel Name: Dreamers Holiday
Vessel Model: Mainship 390
Back to the original question. We own a 390 with a single. They offer the boat with twins but because of the keel the twins draw only about 1/2" less than the single. (the prop on the single is 1/2" below the keel). The 400 was based on the 390 so I believe the layout with the keel is similar.
John
johnma is offline   Reply With Quote