Air filter foam replacement options??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamoore

Veteran Member
I have a 2004 MS400 with twin Yanmars. I would like to replace the foam filters on the turbo air intakes but they want an arm and a leg for Yanmars. I know boats are expensive but come on, it is really just a cheap piece of foam. Has anyone found a suitable generic replacement? Mine are pretty grimmy and would be easier just to replace them.

I don't know what the intakes on your Yanmars look like, but if they're a round tube with an air cleaner or filter stuck on, just get a K&N or similar the same diameter. Done. I did that on my Universal sailboat engine, it's a marinized Kubota tractor engine. So I got a generic lawn tractor filter the same size at Home Depot. The stock filter element on the Universal engines is a coarse foam screen just fine enough to filter out birds and small children. Also they break down and get sucked through the engine. And they want like $25 for it. Granted there's not a lot of dust in a boat engine room, but there is some. I wanted a real filter.

Last edited:
I have a K&N the PO put on my Lehman 120.

I have literally have seem all kinds of filters of all different materials on marine diesels.

I believe most are to keep large objects from being inhaled versus filtering fine particles.

Many gasses don't have filters, just backfire flame arrestors.

We looked at a boat with Yanmar 6 cylinder engines in it, I don’t think that K&N filters would fit on them. Personally I think I would buy the OEM filters. If the filter breaks down and gets sucked into the engine at least you migh have a chance for Yamnar to help out. With some generic foam, no chance.

different number, go figure

That sounded too good to be true. My part number is 119195-18880. Of course the one I need is almost $40 at that site and I need 2. I do appreciate the post though. Looked promising. These things are simple foam sleeve. Can't believe K&N or someone doesn't sells one that fits at much lower cost. I am trying to clean them right now. Once they are dry, I will measure them and see what I can find. What a rip off, $40 for a .99cent piece of foam.

I have a 2004 MS400 with twin Yanmars. I would like to replace the foam filters on the turbo air intakes but they want an arm and a leg for Yanmars. I know boats are expensive but come on, it is really just a cheap piece of foam. Has anyone found a suitable generic replacement? Mine are pretty grimmy and would be easier just to replace them.

I put an Airsep unit on my Yanmar 6LPA and use a K&N cleaning kit on it every so often. The Airsep is pretty easily seen if you click on the photo to blow it up.

Attachments

• DSC01826.jpg
    DSC01826.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 31
This has always irked me as well, it's robbery to charge $40 for a closed cell foam sleeve.

I replaced mine a few months ago with OEM, but I dunked the old ones in a bucket of soapy (dawn) water. They came really clean without any visible deterioration. I may reuse them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom