Old 02-24-2021, 12:46 PM   #1

City: Newport News
Air filter foam replacement options??

I have a 2004 MS400 with twin Yanmars. I would like to replace the foam filters on the turbo air intakes but they want an arm and a leg for Yanmars. I know boats are expensive but come on, it is really just a cheap piece of foam. Has anyone found a suitable generic replacement? Mine are pretty grimmy and would be easier just to replace them.

jamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 05:06 PM   #2

City: Grand Rapids, MI
Vessel Name: Arcturus
Vessel Model: 1973 Concorde 41 DC
I don't know what the intakes on your Yanmars look like, but if they're a round tube with an air cleaner or filter stuck on, just get a K&N or similar the same diameter. Done. I did that on my Universal sailboat engine, it's a marinized Kubota tractor engine. So I got a generic lawn tractor filter the same size at Home Depot. The stock filter element on the Universal engines is a coarse foam screen just fine enough to filter out birds and small children. Also they break down and get sucked through the engine. And they want like $25 for it. Granted there's not a lot of dust in a boat engine room, but there is some. I wanted a real filter.

jgwinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:28 PM   #3
Guru

City: Ft Pierce
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: Albin 40
I have a K&N the PO put on my Lehman 120.

I have literally have seem all kinds of filters of all different materials on marine diesels.

I believe most are to keep large objects from being inhaled versus filtering fine particles.

Many gasses don't have filters, just backfire flame arrestors.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 08:39 PM   #4
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Never Say Never
Vessel Model: President 41 DC
We looked at a boat with Yanmar 6 cylinder engines in it, I don’t think that K&N filters would fit on them. Personally I think I would buy the OEM filters. If the filter breaks down and gets sucked into the engine at least you migh have a chance for Yamnar to help out. With some generic foam, no chance.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:40 PM   #5

City: Grand Island, New York
Vessel Name: Freedom
Vessel Model: 2001 Mainship Pilot 34
I have a Yanmar 6LYA-STE. If yours has the same type of filter, this vendor offers them. I am able to get 4 for $40 including shipping.

https://discountmarinesource.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=94539&language=en¤cy=USD&gclid= Cj0KCQiAst2BBhDJARIsAGo2ldXQxltIn8JtZEwMHZiEdsbAyi lUfn5mhUBQo1UOEv1iZsoFYMEzkBUaAvo3EALw_wcB
Grand Island, New York
JFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:56 PM   #6

City: Newport News
different number, go figure

That sounded too good to be true. My part number is 119195-18880. Of course the one I need is almost $40 at that site and I need 2. I do appreciate the post though. Looked promising. These things are simple foam sleeve. Can't believe K&N or someone doesn't sells one that fits at much lower cost. I am trying to clean them right now. Once they are dry, I will measure them and see what I can find. What a rip off, $40 for a .99cent piece of foam.
jamoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 07:34 PM   #7
Guru

City: Southport north of Panama City
Vessel Name: FROLIC
Vessel Model: Mainship 30 Pilot II since 2015. GB-42 1986-2015. Former Unlimited Tonnage Master
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamoore View Post
I have a 2004 MS400 with twin Yanmars. I would like to replace the foam filters on the turbo air intakes but they want an arm and a leg for Yanmars. I know boats are expensive but come on, it is really just a cheap piece of foam. Has anyone found a suitable generic replacement? Mine are pretty grimmy and would be easier just to replace them.
I put an Airsep unit on my Yanmar 6LPA and use a K&N cleaning kit on it every so often. The Airsep is pretty easily seen if you click on the photo to blow it up.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC01826.jpg  
rgano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 08:21 PM   #8

City: Dewatto
Vessel Name: CHiTON
Vessel Model: Tung Hwa Clipper 30
If they are open cell foam, you can make them yourself with either a sewing machine or a hot glue gun. The stuff is used as filter media for lots of things. Here is the material on my Lehman but used for aquariums. Cost to make them is about $1 per filter. Shop around for different sizes and grades that are available.
Old 03-01-2021, 03:46 PM   #9
Guru

City: Carrabelle, FL
Vessel Name: Morgan
Vessel Model: '05 Mainship 40T
This has always irked me as well, it's robbery to charge $40 for a closed cell foam sleeve.

I replaced mine a few months ago with OEM, but I dunked the old ones in a bucket of soapy (dawn) water. They came really clean without any visible deterioration. I may reuse them.

Dougcole is offline   Reply With Quote