Old 08-19-2021, 07:40 AM   #1

City: South Easton
Vessel Name: Winters Obsession
Vessel Model: Mainship Mark 1
79 Mainship Mark 1 thoughts

So I am new to TF but not new to boating. I am considering a 79 Mk1 that has been sitting covered in shrink wrap for 10 years. The hull seems solid and I am told the motor was ok when winterized. Interior is in marginal shape. Everything else is unknown. The decks ad bridge floors seem solid but I didn't spend alot of time looking. Thoughts on what its worth? The bridge seats are poor condition.
Doodie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 07:56 AM   #2
Guru

City: Owings, Md
Vessel Name: Graceland
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1
If it were in running condition, ready to go with the decks pretty solid (not necessarily perfect) I would say $30-35K in this market but a boat that has been sitting around for 10 years is bound to need some work in bringing it back online, new batteries, probably cleaning the fuel tanks, random other systems needing attention, I would start at $20k unless the seller is offering to bring the boat up to speed.

My two cents, I just bought a 1980 mark I for $28K this springs, it was in average condition and I have spend about $8k on it since bringing it up to speed but it still needs attention to the decks. I overpaid a bit in this crazy market but no regrets (so far).
Gdavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:17 AM   #3

City: New Smyrna Beach, Fl. & Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Salty Dog & Last Dragon
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster & Mainship 34 MK 1
I just bought a Mark I. The asking prices are very much a function of condition. There are two currently on Market Place in Marriott Island and Daytona Beach; one with no motor or fly bridge for $4,000 and one in running but marginal condition for $17,000 (both have been for sale for a long time). Then there is one for $50,000 fully restored in Stuart, Fl. But generally, I found Mark Is in decent shape now in the $30s and $40s. Others may chime in, but I would guess the boat you are looking at is maybe $10,000 or less?
Jc180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 08:30 AM   #4

This is great input. I am told the engine had low hours. But my concern is just because its low it still is 42 years old so likely needs seals, gaskets and other items that corrode. The generator is likely in the same condition. I have experience with gas engines but diesel is different and also more costly to do.
Old 08-19-2021, 08:51 AM   #5

I now own two Perkins 6.354s. One is naturally aspirated 135 hp in a motor sailor that I have owned for 16 years and the second is a 160 hp turbo in the Mainship Mark I that I just bought. Both have slight oil leaks, one at front seal and the other at rear seal. Neither are severe enough to pull engine yet. My guess is that the mainship you are looking at has the Perkins 160 hp. Yes there are some risks to the engine needing work. My guess would be the raw water cooling system components. You might consider investing the money to see if the engine will start. If it starts immediately, it has good compression and fuel delivery (before start attempt would change oil, get fresh battery, change fuel filters, both raycor and on engine, and bleed high pressure pump and injectors which is a real pain with hand pumping the mechanical fuel pump).
Old 08-19-2021, 09:08 AM   #6

More thoughts on start attempt. Would bypass old fuel that has been sitting in tanks for 10 years. Get a small electric fuel pump and feed engine from clean fuel. A standard 5 gallon diesel fuel can would suffice. The electric fuel pump will make bleeding fuel system much easier. Fuel return would still go to boat tanks. You could do something similar with cooling water if wanted to start on the hard. A 5 gallon bucket with a mushroom type fitting with hose barb can be fitted to bucket (like you would do to winterize engine). With regard to initial start, may be rough initially during bleeding process. Shut engine down and see how restarts.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:11 AM   #7
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Is this an as-is where-is deal? Without seeing any pics I'd start the conversation no more 10,000. If it's going to be launched and I can see that it will float, start and move under its own power, the offer could go up.

Are you a gambling man?
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:22 AM   #8
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodie99 View Post
So I am new to TF but not new to boating. I am considering a 79 Mk1 that has been sitting covered in shrink wrap for 10 years. The hull seems solid and I am told the motor was ok when winterized. Interior is in marginal shape. Everything else is unknown. The decks ad bridge floors seem solid but I didn't spend alot of time looking. Thoughts on what its worth? The bridge seats are poor condition.
We owned a 1978 Mk1 years back and it as a good boat... 10 years under cover is quite a long time....
There is no way to guess a value unless/untill a bunch more research is done and then it will still be somewhat unknown.
- decks and bridge floors are known probelms, fairly easy to asses
- value to replace interior to your satisfaction is likely an estimate that you can secure
- costs to repair/update all electronics, cnavas, belts, hoses, cutlass's, running gear, thru hulls, etc are likely also able to be secured.
- genset and main engines need closer exam for at least the basics, are the internals rusted, is the fuel fouled, do they rotate...
- if purchased you will need to add costs to store and insure the boat while it is being made sea worthy (may take a year or more).

In my opinion a boat like this stored for 10 years with no possibility to operater or test any systems has a value between a small positive number and a larger negative number dependent upon which tasks you would need to farm out to a professional.
YMMV
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:27 AM   #9

It's as is were is. And not a chance on running without work. I have not inspected the interior much yet but views from the cockpit it's in marginal shape. Its been in the yard near my father's boat for years and been there for some time. I would assume the engine is fixable with significant work.
Old 08-19-2021, 09:36 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
If it has been stored for 10 years then the owners must not put much value on it. IF you were to make an offer I would make it very small, like less than $10K, to take it off their hands. You can tap out the decks with a small hammer to see if they sound soft. Can you get insurance for it? Check before you make an offer.
Comodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 09:55 AM   #11
Guru

Quote:
It's as is were is. And not a chance on running without work. I have not inspected the interior much yet but views from the cockpit it's in marginal shape. Its been in the yard near my father's boat for years and been there for some time. I would assume the engine is fixable with significant work.
I have taken on some major projects over the years and have learned that anything is fixable with enough work.
I would ask myself - do I want to be a boater or do I want a larger project?

Although there are exceptions I find that the 'best' boats are not the cheapest and the 'cheapest' boats are never the best.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:04 AM   #12
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
This is the type of boat that usually gets donated (for a tax write off) to a charity to be auctioned off. Check the Boat angel boats on ebay for a what its worth, usually at auction they go for from a few hundred to a few thousand.
CharlieO. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:35 AM   #13
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
I sold my '78 a year ago for about us$20k. It was in running condition with a good Cummins but pretty rough interior and coring deterioration in the FB. I didn't go anything to prep it for sale.

I agree that if you can't determine the operational status the price needs to be pretty low. It could be a lot of work and $$ to make everything right. Also agree that insurance may be a challenge until work is completed. Not for the faint of heart, but these are decent boats when operational.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 10:41 AM   #14

So much good info... I currently have a smaller boat I do plan to keep and this will be my some day boat to travel and spend weekends on. I would like to get something with less work but college for my son is priority now. I think I could swing it if the initial cost is low.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #15
Guru

Quote:
So much good info... I currently have a smaller boat I do plan to keep and this will be my some day boat to travel and spend weekends on. I would like to get something with less work but college for my son is priority now. I think I could swing it if the initial cost is low.
Perhaps make a complete list of the things you would need to do to the boat before you used it and add time and $$ (parts/labor) in the neigboring columns.
If you are retired and have plenty of time that may not be a larger issue if you do not mind spending larger amounts of time in that fashion.
When you get to the items that you will need to hire out like - restoring fuel tanks, engine work, carpets, canvas, eletrical/electronics, running gear etc you will have a way to 'add it up' and see what the total project looks like.
I would start the list with fixed costs for the unused boat such as storage, insurance, utilities, etc.
Good luck
Old 08-19-2021, 11:00 AM   #16
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: PSN40
Regarding the mechanical aspect of the boat, if it has been sitting static for 10 years, you can count on the some of the engine seals and gaskets being dried out. It will probably start and run if it was laid up correctly but I'd bet you'll have leaks after running it a bit. The same thing with the water pumps, raw and circulating, plus the clutch.
Fuel disposal costs are crazy so you'll need to know how much is in there. If not much, maybe you can dilute it with fresh and burn it off but 200 gallons of old diesel is probably pretty crappy by now.
It would really help if you were handy with repairs. I just wouldn't expect to jump in and motor off into the sunset right away!
With enough time and a little money if you're up for working on it yourself , the 34 is a nice, inexpensive boat suited for a cruising couple or weekend jaunts with the family.
Old 08-19-2021, 11:22 AM   #17

Quote:
We do most of the work on our boats ourselves, so well understand that it always takes longer and costs more to fix and restore than you initially think. Especially when every task is a first time learning experience. In our years in and out of boat yards we have seen and known a variety of folks taking on project boats. Some turn out great, but take many months or years to complete, and others invest years and never quite get the boat to float again. That said, if you do most of the work yourself, it is a great way to learn the boat and when completed, be self sufficient in maintaining going forward. But I would also say that it is a younger (40s or 50s, not 70s) mans endeavor. Good luck!
Old 08-19-2021, 12:02 PM   #18

Quote:
If you do decide to take this boat project on, suggest you prioritize getting basics operational so the boat can be launched and used. Then can work on the rest over time. As you use the boat, it will become more apparent how you want to configure to suit your cruising style.
Old 08-19-2021, 12:06 PM   #19
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
It might not be a project boat. If it was well loved and put away decently the commissioning list might turn out to be manageable. That's the optimistic case :-)

Lots of good advice here for the OP. It sounds like you should go have a closer look. Maybe report back with pictures!

Edit to add: you can get pretty far along in scoping things out with the boat ashore under wrap. A lot of unknowns can be addressed early on before you need to agree on terms and price.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 02:29 PM   #20
Guru

City: Homer, Ak
Vessel Name: Unicorn
Vessel Model: 1970 50' DEFEVER OFFSHORE CRUISER Timber
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
Perhaps make a complete list of the things you would need to do to the boat before you used it and add time and $$ (parts/labor) in the neigboring columns.
Good luck
and then triple that amount.
ofer is offline   Reply With Quote