Old 08-27-2021, 03:23 PM   #41
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodie99 View Post
I must say that the help i am getting here is spectacular.
I did see many good points on the checklist that really makes sense.
Another alternative...
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...ale-59638.html
smitty477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 05:45 PM   #42
Guru

City: Kilmarnock VA
Vessel Name: Wandering Star
Vessel Model: psn40
Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty477 View Post
When looking to make a good deal on a boat, there's nobody more willing to negotiate than a 2 boat owner!
Old 08-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #43

City: South Easton
Vessel Name: Winters Obsession
Vessel Model: Mainship Mark 1
I have an update... I spent 2 hours today going over the boat in a bit more detail.
Because it was sitting so long i wanted to make sure the engine did is not frozen up or have any major mechanical issues. I connected a battery and it turned over without any issues or strange sounds. I didn't want it to start. I also noted that the risers are stainless as well as the drive shaft. Other than some light surface rust on the motor it actually looks very new looking. I do expect many seals and hoses will need replacement.
As for the interior of the boat it is in very good condition. The hull shows no signs of water infiltration and i am not a light weight guy and no where did i find a soft spots.
As much as i would like to buy a turn key boat i do enjoy restoration. And truth be known i don't have the funds to buy it outright.
I made an offer and we now have a verbal agreement on the boat.
Doodie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:04 PM   #44
Guru

What?!!? You went to the boat & didn't come back with any pictures? Shame on you!
Congratulations! It sounds like you know what you're looking at and it also sounds like might've stumbled onto a good deal!
Old 08-28-2021, 07:06 PM   #45

City: New Smyrna Beach, Fl. & Scottsboro, Al.
Vessel Name: Salty Dog & Last Dragon
Vessel Model: Gulfstar 47 Sailmaster & Mainship 34 MK 1
Quote:
I have an update... I spent 2 hours today going over the boat in a bit more detail.
Because it was sitting so long i wanted to make sure the engine did is not frozen up or have any major mechanical issues. I connected a battery and it turned over without any issues or strange sounds. I didn't want it to start. I also noted that the risers are stainless as well as the drive shaft. Other than some light surface rust on the motor it actually looks very new looking. I do expect many seals and hoses will need replacement.
As for the interior of the boat it is in very good condition. The hull shows no signs of water infiltration and i am not a light weight guy and no where did i find a soft spots.
As much as i would like to buy a turn key boat i do enjoy restoration. And truth be known i don't have the funds to buy it outright.
I made an offer and we now have a verbal agreement on the boat.
As I mentioned previously, just bought a Mainship 34 Mk I. Good luck to you. Hopefully, we’ll be interacting in the future!
Jc180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 07:18 PM   #46

I will be coming here to give updates as well as looking for input.
Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:19 PM   #47
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Doodie,

Good for you on the offer, but hope it was considering that this one could be a TON of work....

I could make a STRONG argument to just not by any boat that has been sitting for 10 years, or even a few years, especially that old. And I could make a strong argument for not buying any boat much earlier than 20 years old unless the current owner has already done all the fix up work, and expect to pay a bit more.

Old boats are OLD, period. In some cases, the only thing of value is the hull and the engines, so you rework all the electrical, fuel cells, plumbing, toilets, galley, radios, etc., etc. and you'll probably spend WAY more than it's worth. And often the value of these old boats is the price it takes to haul them to the junk yard. Don't get me wrong, but this certainly sounds like a candidate.

Unless you just like to work and value your time at zero, I'd bet you could do MUCH better spending 5 to 10 times as much and get a reasonably good boat, that will be ready to go with minor work.

Friend of mine recently sold a Grand Banks look a like for $30K. Overhauled engine, two new fuel tanks, stern thruster, in running condition. That make a hell of a better deal!

Food for thought.
Old 08-28-2021, 07:33 PM   #48
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Doodie,

Good for you on the offer, but hope it was considering that this one could be a TON of work....

I could make a STRONG argument to just not by any boat that has been sitting for 10 years, or even a few years, especially that old. And I could make a strong argument for not buying any boat much earlier than 20 years old unless the current owner has already done all the fix up work, and expect to pay a bit more.

Old boats are OLD, period. In some cases, the only thing of value is the hull and the engines, so you rework all the electrical, fuel cells, plumbing, toilets, galley, radios, etc., etc. and you'll probably spend WAY more than it's worth. And often the value of these old boats is the price it takes to haul them to the junk yard. Don't get me wrong, but this certainly sounds like a candidate.

Unless you just like to work and value your time at zero, I'd bet you could do MUCH better spending 5 to 10 times as much and get a reasonably good boat, that will be ready to go with minor work.

Friend of mine recently sold a Grand Banks look a like for $30K. Overhauled engine, two new fuel tanks, stern thruster, in running condition. That make a hell of a better deal!

Food for thought.
I understand you're trying to help but from his posts, he seems to know what he could be in for and he said this was within his budget. Be happy for him!
There wasn't a boat floating that needed more work than ours when we bought it years back. Now we have a solid, dependable boat, still an old boat but a nice old boat, that we can easily afford and we love it. Here's the funny part... you can pick any boat out there. Any one. New ,old, big or small, and the owners aren't having one speck more fun on it than we have on ours, so the age is really irrelevant. It's the fun folks are seeking.
I think he'll have fun with it.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:13 PM   #49

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seevee View Post
Doodie,

Food for thought.
I do value all input and its not my first boat to restore. It is the first that is this big and first diesel and i do understand there are many items unknown but i see it as a challenge. I do value my time but when complete i will know everything about the boat.
Old 08-28-2021, 10:10 PM   #50
TF Site Team

City: Au Gres, MI
Vessel Name: Black Dog
Vessel Model: Formula 41PC
Congrats on your new boat, hopefully the deal closes. Have fun doing all the restoration and we will need some photos.
Comodave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 10:15 PM   #51
Guru

City: Guelph
Vessel Name: Escapade
Vessel Model: 50` US Navy Utility trawler conversion
Congrats, and stick around. As I'm sure you've seen there's a good community here with knowledge of the boat and systems. Sounds like you'll have a great boat. The Cat is a big upgrade over the OEM Perkins.

Good luck!
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 03:41 AM   #52
Guru

City: st pete
Vessel Model: 430 Mainship
Quote:
I do value all input and its not my first boat to restore. It is the first that is this big and first diesel and i do understand there are many items unknown but i see it as a challenge. I do value my time but when complete i will know everything about the boat.

Doodie,

Glad you mentioned your experience. There's nothing wrong with buying an older boat and refurbishing it to ones own specs. We just see so many that underestimate the work and cost and end up with a project that never ends.
I do see a few that have been refurbished very well and when those sell I see a lot of value and often the owners labor goes for zero.

I realize that you understand this so I wish you the best and would love to hear about your progress. Best to you, keep us posted.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:30 AM   #53
Guru

City: Northport
Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
I understand you're trying to help but from his posts, he seems to know what he could be in for and he said this was within his budget. Be happy for him!
There wasn't a boat floating that needed more work than ours when we bought it years back. Now we have a solid, dependable boat, still an old boat but a nice old boat, that we can easily afford and we love it. Here's the funny part... you can pick any boat out there. Any one. New ,old, big or small, and the owners aren't having one speck more fun on it than we have on ours, so the age is really irrelevant. It's the fun folks are seeking.
I think he'll have fun with it.
Very few folks have the time, skill, &/or funds to complete a project like the one your described. Over time we have seen and heard of many stories like these and a majority of the time it is a mistake. On most of the ones we have seen the project becomes part of the persons life in a nagative way and affects all aspects of their personal life - not pretty.
Disclosure - over time we have taken on two larger boats that were on the hard and not running. We also have 'thousands' of posts on another forum on the mechanical/techical aspects of remediating certain boats. We have hundreds of posts from past and current owners all around the world and most would not have welcomed the larger project they ended up buying.
Most were really just regular folks that had a dream to go boating with family and loved ones.
YMMV

"We bought the materials to rebuild our decks and flybridge floor in 2016,'17 & '18. The 3/4" marine ply, the 5 gallon buckets of resin & Corebond epoxy glue ,the fiberglass & paint was closer to 10k and that was before the price went sky-high. Maintenance cost of the 40 year old Perkins (turbo, riser, exhaust manifold, starter, alternator & water pumps has been $5-6K and thats not counting the work we're having done now replacing the engine seals & other items.
All of this and it was a running ,functioning boat when we bought it. I'm not even factoring in the stuff like electronics and complete rewiring of the electrical systems, portlights etc etc.
I'm not trying to scare the OP but don't be surprised to see 20K disappear in a few years of proper rehab if you want to make it a decent vessel that you can rely on and enjoy.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:30 AM   #54

City: Solomons MD.
Vessel Name: Sun Runner
Vessel Model: 1985 Mainship 34 Trawler MK III
Way to go !! Best of luck on the purchase. Remember ALL boats cost money. Your jumping in with both eyes wide open. Welcome to the club !!
Solly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 06:13 PM   #55

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomerang View Post
What?!!? You went to the boat & didn't come back with any pictures? Shame on you!
Congratulations! It sounds like you know what you're looking at and it also sounds like might've stumbled onto a good deal!
I did post some pictures in an album..
I'm not sure how to post here.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:17 PM   #56

Smile

I think this should go to my pictures:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...cture7007.html
Old 08-29-2021, 06:52 PM   #57
Guru

I just looked at your pictures & I believe you have found yourself a nice Mainship!
Old 08-29-2021, 09:04 PM   #58
Guru

City: Jacksonville Beach, FL
Vessel Model: Back in the market looking
Quote:
I think this should go to my pictures:
https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/...cture7007.html
You'll have work to do, no doubt, but everything looks amazingly good for ten years in layup.
Old 08-29-2021, 09:18 PM   #59
Dwk

City: Chesapeake Bay
Vessel Name: Patty Ann
Vessel Model: Mainship 34 MK1 1980
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissboat View Post
You'll have work to do, no doubt, but everything looks amazingly good for ten years in layup.
Looks great! Ten years under wrap looks like it saved the boat.Here’s hoping there was lots of air flow. Congratulations!
Old 08-30-2021, 05:12 AM   #60
Guru

City: Vermont
Vessel Name: Luna C.
Vessel Model: 1977 Marine Trader 34DC
Nice find, that is the kind of deal I'd like to come across, we are looking for a budget trawler to learn (handling, maintenance, systems) on for a first bigger boat.

Look forward to your updates.
CharlieO. is offline   Reply With Quote